-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
How to pick a toilet remotely?
ToughButterCup replied to Adsibob's topic in Bathrooms, Ensuites & Wetrooms
Yep: you don't waste time reading your copy of the Church Times when you're on an outside pooloo. In an earlier existence I did a lot of climbing in Wales. There, outside the climbing hut there was a Ty Bach - suspended precariously over a stream. 'Twouldn't be allowed now. Modesty prevents further description of testosterone-soaked male activity surrounding successful use of the facility. Especially when the stream was in spate. Which was often. Oh how we laughed. Sad. -
Welcome ... Well, @TinkerBill, after watching another bout of Kevin Mc Wotisface pontification and cod philosophy, show @TinkerBell a cement mixer a shovel, a pile of sand, and another of cement, and a hosepipe. Get a deck chair, sit in it , and observe the reaction carefully. ? You are both most welcome. Ian
-
Triple glazed sliders - any recommendations?
ToughButterCup replied to Tom's topic in Doors & Door Frames
Ditto Gaulhofer. Tell me @Tom, what's a narrow sightline ? -
Smart Monitoring without a Smart Meter
ToughButterCup replied to NSS's topic in General Alternative Energy Issues
I suspect you have written about the set up before. Could you please help with a link? -
Hmmm, bought a stick welder. And one member who shall remain nameless ( because I cant remember which - either @Declan52 or @dpmiller ) said my welding looked like Braille. Wounded I was, from that day to this......
-
But they'll regularly bring members of the opposite sex back for feeding and washing and general maintenance. Which means only one thing..... yearly de-sludging. ?
-
Thrashing out a threshold
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Rainwater, Guttering & SuDS
About 3:00am. this morning, bright awake, bolt upright and grinning, the significance of @Conor's post finally got through my sludgy psyche. Thank you @Conor! I still have some of these bad boys on the stillage: we had to order them in cases of 12 - so some are left over. @Conor suggests digging out the EPS and sticking concrete in instead to support the threshold finish (tiles / wood / plastic / metal) . Well, how about dropping these Perinsul blocks in as a foundation for the threshold? I suppose I'll have to encase those in concrete to hold them in place, though ...... ? I'll have to design it in such a way that the blocks are held firmly in place, and then top those off with something that will allow me to fix the tiles in place. Or is it possible to fix (say a sheet of marine ply or similar) directly into the Perinsul blocks? -
Thrashing out a threshold
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Rainwater, Guttering & SuDS
Indeed, Mike it all slopes just a bit towards the door. Thanks for the nudges. I'm planning a slight cross-fall to one edge of the path and then into the pipe to the side of the slot drain. Thanks -
Thrashing out a threshold
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Rainwater, Guttering & SuDS
Ahhhhh no, don't do it, the Cold Bridge Police will nab you. -
Thrashing out a threshold
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Rainwater, Guttering & SuDS
Dreadful stuff. I have yet to use it without getting it all over everything else as well as what I apply it to...... -
Thrashing out a threshold
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Rainwater, Guttering & SuDS
Good 'ol CT1 then.... -
Thrashing out a threshold
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Rainwater, Guttering & SuDS
Tiles: and luckily they are suitable for outdoor use. ( We will be using them outside in our Winter Garden) What a bloody good idea. I suppose the tiler would know how tiles could be fixed to the EPS300? -
Digging out the drain ( threshold drain) for the footpath to our front door made me look again at an issue that I should have thought about years ago: since there's an EPS300 block keeping the side of the slab warm, what am I going to put in the gap between the threshold drain and the front door? Have a look; The red elipse is the area that concerns me: its 120mm wide. It concerns me because I can't fix anything to it can I? Or can I ? Ideally, I'd like something like this, but as the image shows, there's a nice hardwood threshold which - presumably is fixed to summat underneath. I note that the wooden threshold has a drip channel which is more suited to woodlice in search of a good night's sleep ... but thats not the issue. (image stolen fair and square from Wavin https://www.externalworksindex.co.uk/entry/34545/Wavin/Threshold-drains/ ) What I need is a cunning plan. Have you got one?
-
Air quality with mvhr
ToughButterCup replied to lizzie's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
In other words, formaldehyde concentrations are already lower in the world outside China. And the author is also lazy enough not to specify which national standard has been exceeded and where it was exceeded. Lazy, possibly self-interested, sloppy thinking condensed into a couple of sentences. Fake Noos! (How I miss you Donny) -
No cement deliveries in the NW - Lancashire . But 2 BMs tell me they are flat out and wont deliver now til Friday of next week.... Why oh why oh why did I sell my Landrover and trailer? -
-
Where.... Thats brilliant! .... what are they called?
-
Welcome. Yeah, but yours failed on the basis of having a plan in the first place. Mine fails because I didn't know I needed to plan for [...]
-
By contrast, @Adsibob, I have specified switches with neons for almost every switch. My eyesight isn't what it was and I can now tell at a glance - from yards away - which sockets are switched live if there is a supply. Yes, sometimes the switch is intrusive - and a neon switch more so - and on those sockets we fit switchless plates. None of our 5 Amp sockest have a switch.
-
Site Electricity Cubicle
ToughButterCup replied to Notorious_PIG's topic in Consumer Units, RCDs, MCBOs
All part of the service ? -
Glass gable ends. Looking for examples..
ToughButterCup replied to Olly P's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
@PeterTweeter, Gaulhofer did our '... bloody great hole(s) ...' @craig of this parish is yer man, maybe? -
Site Electricity Cubicle
ToughButterCup replied to Notorious_PIG's topic in Consumer Units, RCDs, MCBOs
ENW did our connection: they provided me with an 'Approved Layout' I seem to remember. I'll dig it out .....here.... Maybe for three phase it has to be more substantial ? PS, they sent me a Jewson's leaflet too ...... -
We stoopidly fitted a cheapish 13 amp Bosch Inducement hob on a 10mm supply. What induced me? Not even pregnant.... Clicks like a demented tap dancing clog-shod mouse Vorsprung Durch Kliken! Quatsch!
-
That's what our build has become... a daily hobby. And when there's money and well regarded trades folk to spare, a lot more energy is injected into the project. Simply taking the mower out of the shed at weekends is a few years away methinks. But that, ah that'll be bliss indeed.
- 4 replies
-
- renovate
- change of use
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
