Jump to content

ToughButterCup

Members
  • Posts

    11830
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    101

Everything posted by ToughButterCup

  1. Exactly the right approach. Pay £80. Ask. Listen. Highly unlikely you'll need permission. Good luck!
  2. My sincere and inexpert advice is, once PP has been awarded, to ask informally . A little bit of polite deference oils the wheels
  3. Locally, West Lancashire, yes it is. Where the issue gets interesting is, what happens if, while you apply for PP, you set up a caravan but PP is refused, and also refused at Appeal, so you contest the subsequent Enforcement Order ( ordering you, your caravan, chattels, pigs, hens, old Landrovers to leave) and exercise your right of Appeal against Enforcement. When that Appeal Decision goes against you, you merely suck your teeth and say ... Well, pal, you gonna make uzzz 'omeless then? The Enforcement Officer ( think Brick Sh!thouse , broken nose, forearms the size of my thighs, no neck) camped on my drive to protect the Inspector during his site visit, rolled his eyes when I expressed surprise ... 'Appens all 'time lad roun' 'ere lad. All 'time. So far this leedle pantomime has run its course over 6 full years. It'll finish soon! Oh no it won't!
  4. My dad and yours would have got on famously. Dads know best. Do it
  5. To Bowdlerise a, to some, fairly well known process: "Through the ministry of BuildHub, may God give you pardon and peace, and BuildHub Moderators absolve you from your sins in the name of @Onoff, and of @pocster and other Demonic Builders, Amen. There. Go, My Child and sin no more!
  6. You could try stairbox
  7. I've just read the whole thread. Could not agree more with @jack above.
  8. In a similar situation, the advice I had about weekend working was..... just bloody do it ... (delivered in the less polite Lancastrian version) because by the time anyone official comes to talk to you about it, it'll probably be Wednesday of the week after the week after next. West Lancashire is full of people with psychopathic tendencies, so that type of behaviour is generally regarded as normal. I'm one now as you might be able to tell.
  9. Of course. Starting on the project this afternoon. KISS.
  10. Yes: but I have a mechanical genius mate who will adapt/ adopt / improve one of my old sack trucks with me. (He's just built himself a 4 foot square laser cutting machine - his workshop is about half the size of our house....Phhhhhhh. Talk about jealous.)
  11. 800mm - Mellisa McC. wouldn't get through that with even her slimmest handbag.... What you need is a really super-fit and willing belly dancer then innit? Sounds like a crane job to me. When we investigated , we found a small local crane company that was willing to give us a day's work for £500
  12. Clive, you are brilliant. Thanks so much. Ian
  13. Be grateful its just old, soft (now gone hard) and smelly. One house I lived in had that plus rats' presents and many skeletons. Its really dangerous stuff to walk around in (on) - it's the dust....
  14. On the way to that ideal, if the meeting is in person, be seen to take notes about the inspector's requests. In our case, inspectors have, between site meeting and their own and office, tended to forget what they've asked for. Notably, the only female inspector to visit remembered what she had said and followed up each point at every meeting or phone call or WhasUp video call. Now, at each meeting or interaction, I send a very brief email summarising the meeting and ask for confirmation of the main points. Jus' sayin' .....
  15. First things first. Has your neighbour offered the land to you for sale?
  16. And we are glad you are with us. From your first post, I'm guessing you keep your cards close to your chest. We are a nosey bunch. Come on, show us whatcha got (as it were.... )
  17. Standard... 2 foot 6 square by 50mm deep ish...
  18. You Bad Man ....?, an' you a member of Tinternet Police.....
  19. Time was when I could lift as well as move paving slabs with a bit of muscle, a maccho attitude and a sore back. Yoof, wasted on the young innit? But time also flies. And I'm not even going to pretend I can do that now. And @epsilonGreedy-like, this is DIY MAX. So a two man slablifter is off the menu. One of these bad-boys is what I want, what I really really want . But notice the cheeky little pop-up at the top of the webpage... Bastard. Lifting tongs won't cut it too small, suction cups: two-man. Whats needed here is a combination of @Onoff's creativity and attention to detail, @Construction Channel's what-could-go-wrong attitude and @pocster's fookitImdoingitanywayism and @Temp's extensive knowledge of Internet content to come up with a simple design which allows me - on my own - to SAFELY pick up a proper big-boy paving slab move it across the site lay it in almost the right spot supply the correct dose of Parcetamol after a session of slab laying. What could go wrong, Ed. ?
  20. Not a tree to plant-and-forget is it. Before you know it, the world has gone darker than normal, the view has disappeared, the wind never blows and they are full of roosting avians. A mate of mine (tree surgeon) taugtht me how to tame them: wait until they are at least 20 feet tall, cut the tops out of them and put scaffolding planks across the tops of the pollarded trunks. Let the sides grow. From there you have a safe working platform to trim them - its impossible to see the planks unless you force your way into the canopy. But I'll wager that those places provide a decent infrastructure to put such waste to good use....
  21. Shhhh, FerGodsSake dont tell the Corn .... donwannaupset'im more than healreadyis
  22. Dave! You! ? Bad Man. (Thank God)
  23. That's them told then. Well @gdal, as soon as the wind's right (at a guess, anything from NE to ENE) and @SteamyTea has his smalls on the line - Burn Baby Burn
  24. Take a short cut to sanity. Burn it. Yes, yes, I know. I started with all those stars in my eyes about how we were going to be ECOMAX. And five years in, hibernaculars built, Swallows catered for, Bluetits cosy, Starlings swearing loudly from under the facia board, pond fostering midges the size of Lancaster Bombers - I'm *king fed up with eco-sheet. Its gone on for too long: there's too much still to do, too much to finish, and too much eco-handwringing. And I'm TooFuckingTired. When all I'm doing is mowing the grass on a Saturday morning, I'll worry about garden waste. I'll have some spare brain capacity then. But during a self-build, just bloody burn it.
×
×
  • Create New...