-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
The information is not available for a reason.....
-
Yep, thats what it costs. GetcherWalletOutYouTightWalkOnGlazingExpert.
-
Introduction - self build newbies
ToughButterCup replied to deancatherine09's topic in Introduce Yourself
Good luck. The NSBRC visits I did were the most useful visits of many done in prepartion for our build. Photograph everything and organise them so you can make quick reference to them later - It was blue wasn't it? No it was red ...... you know all that sort of thing. Ian -
Thats a very important factor that I noticed way too late - way too late. Our site 'came alive' when a few lads ( well mostly lads, one .... ummmm) were all working together - it was fun. Come to think of it, I find it much easier to work (usually at weekends) with people who drop in to lend a hand. means I work a 7 day week, but what the Hell. Laughter punctures the tiredness doesn't it.
-
No need. Its part of the BuildHub service. Its 'good' (?) for the rest of us to know that we aren't the only ones to suffer as you do / have / are. Posts like yours reassure the rest of us that we aren't alone. So, thank you. People in our sector who are good at their job are not necessarily blessed with a bit of (or any) Emotional Intelligence. Add that to too much work chasing to few trades folk at the moment and your experience will be all too common. There's no point in blaming one side or the other. This board has ample evidence of customers and trades or other professionals talking past one another, not listening, not listening ' between the lines ' or worse. People are different, and so perspectives are different. You might like to have a quick read of this : a crass summary is understand the other persons needs first and then your own. Its not to everyone's taste but .... It helped (s) me - but I still fall off the 'good temepered even-handed wagon' occasionally - code for have a good rant. More detailed read here.
-
Yes. I asked and was told there is no need to seal it. Our house has wooden cladding. Before that was put on, some areas had no clearance at all between the MOT1 and the DPC. So, a bit of damp came in - and promptly left when the sun came out. When I eventually reduced the MOT1 to the correct level and put the cladding on, it's drizabone. After 4 years, I still need to sort out the back step: there's gravel to just above the DPC - a bit of damp comes in now and then when there's driving rain from the South west , nowt to worry about. Disappears straight away - sun cooks it.
-
Architect has done a wonderful scheme but-
ToughButterCup replied to DragsterDriver's topic in Surveyors & Architects
Rare that. Rare. ? -
Architect has done a wonderful scheme but-
ToughButterCup replied to DragsterDriver's topic in Surveyors & Architects
Hmmm, depressing reading. Depressing - to answer your question - because poor communication is common and not confined to architecture. What format was the brief, oral or written? If the former, well, no wonder. If the latter, politely ask why the brief hasn't been followed. This might be a little late, but here's a checklist that we worked on a little while ago. Just might help you through a stressful process. -
I don't know the answer to your question ( I'm an interested amateur - not an expert) . But I do know that if your design passes Planning - and its Conditions and Building Control, you can do pretty much what you want. PS, @pocster has some lovely glazing for sale cheap as chips - DM him with an offer ?
-
Join the I'm-Annoyed-With-Myself-Club. You're the 55 millionth member, this year. Have this badge: wear it with pride. ?
-
Do I need a tv aerial
ToughButterCup replied to Russell griffiths's topic in Networks, AV, Security & Automation
Thanks for the nudge. The hole in the wall is ready and waiting..... bit of a cold bridge but , what the Hell. -
Do I need a tv aerial
ToughButterCup replied to Russell griffiths's topic in Networks, AV, Security & Automation
I'm as much a caveman as the next BuildHubber. No aerial. Just CAT6 from the switch and WiFi. Probably overkill if all you do is listen to the Archers innit... -
A thought to kick-start the week.
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Other Heating Systems
? -
A thought to kick-start the week.
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Other Heating Systems
Dismissal? Depends on the quality of the argument. Why not wait and see what is written? -
Hi ya ! Start with the soft and smelly. It gets forgotten - pushed to the back end of the queue for some reason. Can't imagine why.
-
MVHR is Largely Bogus
ToughButterCup replied to DavidHughes's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
Oh bleedin' 'ell... I thought it was just me... it makes me so cross. My folks would not (affect not to) notice if all the lights - inside, outside in my lady's chamber, garage, hen house, piggery all came on at dawn and weren't switched off at about midnight -
A thought to kick-start the week.
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Other Heating Systems
How might this scheme take money from wealthy people? Might you mean reduce the incomes of wealthy people? -
A thought to kick-start the week.
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Other Heating Systems
You Bad Lad! -
A thought to kick-start the week.
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Other Heating Systems
Just shows; tek yer eye of t' ball in this place for a minnit, and yer toast.... toast.? -
Microwave boilers?.. https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2021/04/08/if-you-can-have-microwave-ovens-why-not-microwave-boilers Full access requires an email address.
-
40 years! Best friends with Building Control yet?
-
Welcome There's too much information on BH. You can spend your life reading here. Remember, we're interested amateurs not professionals. Well there are one or two , but they keep quiet about it ( specially the doctors )
