-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
Yes. Almost the same spec ground as ours (glacial till). Whatever the engineer specifies will be fine: the business case is a no-brainer. This is the stuff we used. Saved us a good few hundred quid. But just a quick heads up - while on the one hand its brilliant during the build up of your foundation - it's the Devil's Own Assistant when, later, much later you need to dig through it by hand (in our case to lay the foul dain). Like I had to during the first lockdown. 30 meters of it. Which is one of the main reasons why I say - If ya can't take a joke, don't start a self build If you need to put anything under it, get it sorted out before you lay the stuff. Got some spare if you need it.
-
I have had two flat roof replacements, and one new one. Of a similar design. Each time under the tiles. But, I'm almost sure the answer to your question is that the quality of the work is the key. Over - under probably doesn't matter. Attention to detail does. One question: how - in the '...over ...' case is the felt secured at the edge - how will the edge deal with wind and rain?
-
Excessive cracks and shrinkage in plasterboard ceiling
ToughButterCup replied to GaryM's topic in General Construction Issues
Is the membrane being cooked by the metal roof ? Do you not need to ventilate? -
Shadow gaps around window boards?
ToughButterCup replied to PI build's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Its fun tweeking members' tails gently. I looked at that image and winced. It's not easy .... but a bit of me says that it's likely just as hard to get two 45s to meet as cleanly as the 90s do in the image above. Need @Onoff to try, or Ed ( @Construction Channel ) maybe? What could go wrong Ed? Come On! Photo, please. -
Shadow gaps around window boards?
ToughButterCup replied to PI build's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
That is really sharp @Dudda Next time the corners will be mitred I bet ....? -
Something nice happened today.
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Surveyors & Architects
He knew our house name... maybe he consulted the LA database? -
Shadow gaps around window boards?
ToughButterCup replied to PI build's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Put a '... skirting... ' with a shadow gap where the window board would have been.... ? FrigginFiddly methinks. Or have I missed something? I love the idea. But, tell ya why I wouldn't get away with it: she couldn't put enough seed trays on a small window board ... ? Here's the closest I could nick in less than a minute: looks nice - PITA to clean. and -
Something nice happened today.
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Surveyors & Architects
No, he didn't. He offered the interesting perspective on satellite surveys, though. Apparently now one pixel from a satellite photo (taken for the OS) gives an error of up to 40mm. In his opinion, nowhere near good enough yet. Which is why he is spending his retirement pootling round Lancashire with one of those GPS lollipops. Very nice way to get yersel out and about in retirment. -
The sun, our Eddi and my SunAmp: keepin' me guessin'
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Energy Storage
@jack , thanks very much indeed. Took three readings of your post to understand most of it (possibly). I'm sure I'll come back to it once in a while for a refresher..... -
Something nice happened today.
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Surveyors & Architects
Well, in our case no. We own both sides of the wall. But, I take your point: I could have erroneously or otherwise have misdirected the guy. And that, well that would be a n i g h t m a r e -
We had a visit from the OS (Ordinance Survey) . Nice old guy asked permission to survey us, and got on with it. Accurate to a few mm apparently. So I jumped at the chance and asked him to survey our boundary wall. Which he did . That might well have avoided a few sets of solicitors fees in hundred years time then innit?
-
The sun, our Eddi and my SunAmp: keepin' me guessin'
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Energy Storage
Okay folks, explain this then... Our Uniq12 was refusing PV yesterday evening ( it reported via the Eddi- 'Max Temperature Reached') . In other words it had reached its heat storage capacity (14 kWh) This morning- bright sun, one shower, (3 kWh) max, the SunAmp is accepting power from the diverter. It cannot have been 75% depleted. No other hot water was used overnight. -
Now we know the truth. You've never mixed concrete and thus lost yer fingerprints have ya? Ha! Gottcha! Busted!
-
The sun, our Eddi and my SunAmp: keepin' me guessin'
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Energy Storage
ah, but for an 'h' ......? -
The sun, our Eddi and my SunAmp: keepin' me guessin'
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Energy Storage
Ahhhh, my mistake then ... do explain..... -
The sun, our Eddi and my SunAmp: keepin' me guessin'
ToughButterCup posted a topic in Energy Storage
SunAmps linked to PV supply make you guess, don't they? ' Course, if you don't wanna guess, you press Boost on yer Eddi (a PV diverter) . But that's the coward's choice. The game is get the maximum out of the sunlight available to make sure that TwinkleToes bath is as warm as she wants. We've a 12kW Sunamp, a bath and a couple of showers. Normal hotwater use for two old fuddy duddies. Decent drop of sunshine recently: time to build up a 'feel' for how much power our Eddi shunts to our SunAmp. And then there's how much water we've used . Take one from the other and you've cracked it A bath a day is about 5kW (right @SteamyTea ?) A shower, 3kW or so: that makes 11kW a day - two showers one bath. Plus a kilo Watt to scrub a grandchild half way clean. 12kW. Bingo. So, if our Edward ( or, Eddi - why can't they spell it right ?) tells me that SunAmp's up to temperature, all will be well in the ToughButterCup family. But life ain't like that is it? Why oh why oh why cant SunAmp tell us how much power is left and available to heat the PCM in the SunAmp eh? I mean, it can tell Eddi that it cant take any more PV power, so why not tell us how much is left? I mean a SunAmp - any bloody SunAmp - ain't cheap now is it? Disgusted of Lancashire -
If @Onoff sounds like he's sucking his teeth, @Tony K, it's marginal. But, I'm not - definitely not - saying you should not try.
-
Sparkies are good at stuff like that: fiddle with your system (whatever it is doesn't matter) and in our case has managed to defrost a freezer (*king 'ell I was cross) put two switches on our SunAmp where one used to be OK, left one switch on, t'other off - why should I tell the customer eh, tell me that now - freezing bloody shower arrive with a second export meter '... gorra fit this merrrt... ' only to see he'd already fitted one last year and always, but always leaves one or more circuits breakers 'off' and leaves the site gurning like an eejit, I shouldn't wonder.
-
Your screen name wasn't @Onoff at one time was it? 'Cos if it had been, I'd say yes, you might get away with it. Until you actually opened the door: you feel its weight, its heft, the way it goes clunk. One of ours is mostly glass - everyone comments on it. And the lady postie has seen more of me than she bargained for (or I for that matter ?) Its a feel thing as well as what it looks like.
-
1. I have bought 2. Yes. 2. I doubt it. I say that becuase of my experience of all the little bits of the door : hinges, striker plate, embedded glass, locking mechanism - they're all vastly superior to a standard timber door. And vastly more expensive. Vastly.
-
Counterbattening on vertical cladding
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in General Joinery
Yes, 10mm. No. Whassapoint? Had a Pest Control company come and give us advice. He pointed to the building across the field: exactly the same construction but with 30mm gaps. The membrane is Tyvek (summatorotherthatsbloodyexpensive) Quattro, and the bottom membrane is a lead replacement called Ubliflex.
