Jump to content

jack

Members
  • Posts

    7460
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    41

Everything posted by jack

  1. I'd be happy to share in this. If it works out, perhaps we could set it up on some sort of BH hire scheme.
  2. The night ours were delivered, I couldn't sleep due to completely irrational visions of someone backing a truck up and stealing them all from the driveway. I therefore drove over and slept in the freezing cold car. Seemed like a reasonable solution at the time!
  3. Flow batteries could, I assume, simply swap out the "dead" electrolyte and replace it with fresh stuff. It'd be a similar process and time-scale as for refuelling a petrol/diesel car. Not sure about energy density (or energy/mass) of flow batteries, but that would be of less concern if refuelling were quick and easy. Interestingly, when I first started reading about electric cars many years ago, that was exactly the model proposed.
  4. True, but during those 6 months of the year, you'll have fresher air in your house than you've ever experienced during winter, and will drastically reduce your heating costs. Also, on very hot days, the MVHR keeps the air fresh while keeping some of the coolth in. I'm one of those who wouldn't be without it now that I've lived with it.
  5. Yes, yes and yes. For all but the wealthiest and car-obsessed, this is how it will work.
  6. It's already a thing. Search "classic car electric conversions". I liked the Ferrari 308 GT4 that some university converted a year or two ago. It was a burnt out shell and they did it as a project.
  7. I can't offer any help, but best of luck with this. Agree with what others have said: you paid a professional to do the job. He should be familiar with what board to use and how to install it. That said, it's surprising that someone who clearly knows what they're doing would make this sort of rookie mistake. Maybe the guys installing the boards were less experienced?
  8. "Right to light" is not the same as the 45 degree rule. As I understand it, for most councils the 45 degree rule is a starting point for presumption of acceptable sightlines. It isn't about whether you stop someone getting sunlight, it's also about what they can see from their windows. Your council should have guidelines on their website about how they deal with this sort of thing. If you can't find it, I'd ask the planning officer to direct you to it or provide a copy. Incidentally, being directly north of someone means you'll likely be blocking some morning and evening sun through the summer, given that even in the south of the UK the sun rises around 45 degrees north of east and sets around 45 degrees north of west.
  9. It's only Wikipedia, but: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_visualization_ability#Gender_differences https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_intelligence#Spatial_ability
  10. Grinder + wire brush? If it works, it could be very quick.
  11. Short answer, @Crofter, is yes for the reasons you mention.
  12. If there's any insulation between the rafters, I believe it's no longer a cold roof. As Temp says, the danger is a condensation point that falls anywhere near the rafters. Should be fine as long as there's enough insulation above, but get it modelled if you're seriously thinking about it.
  13. Sorry to hear this Ian. Virtually every build has a heart-attack moment (or a few). I found that spending even an hour having a coffee or a beer with someone you like and trust (and who's willing to listen to you rant) is the best way forward. Most importantly, keep your pecker up.
  14. Windows (or the installation thereof) were by far the biggest frustration on our build.
  15. The corresponding European application is undergoing examination at the moment: https://register.epo.org/application?number=EP14732596&lng=en&tab=doclist
  16. @Onoff, I seem to recall that there are patent applications in train for this technology. At least some of what you're after will be published in those (assuming they've yet been published)
  17. Cetirizine is another modern antihistamine with similar results/dosage etc. Give it a try in place of loratadine.
  18. Oh dear. Are you on metered water? We were going to bite the bullet and plant our back garden in early summer, knowing it was a bad time of year and accepting that there'd be a lot of watering. But then it just didn't rain for week after week, then we had that really hot spell. In the end we decided we can look at the weeds for the rest of summer and plant when it's cooler.
  19. Seems plausible. Hope you get the right answer from the contractor.
  20. [Poor attempt at light-hearted topical post deleted by me at request of another member]
  21. Definitely this. We were originally looking at a standard plate-warming drawer, but then my mother in law (who'd recently had her kitchen done) mentioned that she couldn't get any of her casserole dishes into hers. If you have hopes of heating anything other than plates or a shallow platter in your warming drawer, get a deep one!
  22. All of them. Why assume we only have one bath?
  23. Pretty common to raise baths on a plinth, apparently. The plumbers who did our install suggested we look into it, and we ended up doing it for our freestanding bath. https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/3620452/pinebrook-residence-modern-bathroom-cleveland https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/556484/master-bath-remodel-contemporary-bathroom-san-francisco http://www.homedit.com/10-modern-freestanding-bathtub-designs-to-take-in-consideration-this-year/bathtub-cleaning/
×
×
  • Create New...