• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Bitpipe last won the day on June 9

Bitpipe had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

693 Excellent


About Bitpipe

  • Rank
    Advanced Member

Personal Information

  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. They just need to pump the cold air down south with the water - will be like North Sea Oil all over again...
  2. Shoes off at the front door. While common in many other countries, still seen as unusual in UK. We insisted on this once we moved in as outside was still mostly well worn type 1 so it would wreck the resin & wood floors & stairs. Even though we now have resin bound gravel and paving outside, it's now the norm, so much less dirt is tracked into the house. No-one has ever had an issue being asked to do it.
  3. Quick google shows the filter to be £50 as are the valves so that's £150 in parts. Add £50 for the inhibitor & cleaner and you're up to £200. So £400 for labour - all depends how many hours they expect to be on the job... Edit - as ever Jeremy has done a much more thorough job than me
  4. Its. 24v system so no risk to life but guessing a nail / drilled hole in the wall could damage the emitter. Efficiency claims aside, how practical & robust is this kind of solution in a domestic environment?
  5. If the heating element is applied to the walls (painted or skimmed over) what happens if I want to hang a picture or fixture - ie can it survive being penetrated?
  6. I paid £220+VAT back in summer 2016 and £30 to have it updated & re-issued with revised test results later that year. So your prices sound about right.
  7. Neighbour has a ride on - makes short work of his big flat lawn but needs good maintenance and an annual service so you need to factor that in. Be wary of second hand models as their gearboxes etc may be shot and will be expensive to replace. I got an old Lawnflyte self propelled professional mower (honda engine) with an aluminium deck (not steel, that will rust) on ebay and after the first few years of use got it overhauled (few hundred) to refurb gearbox etc. Lived in the greenhouse and in the open over a few winters before we had the garage and still starts fine every spring. Have only ever needed to replace the blade, oil and air filter all for a few quid and it's still running fine 10 years later.
  8. Would work same as a wet system - the emitter (wet pipe or hot wire) delivers heat into the floor substrate and it subsequently radiates that heat into the room. Our suspended floor wet UFH is over 50mm thick - 22mm deck, 12mm ply, 9mm ply, 6mm rubber mat, 4mm resin. Whereas a wet system's power output is controlled via temp of water (assuming spacing of pipe is dictated by the spreader plate design), an electric system will be driven by the rating of the wire and how closely it's spaced together (which is up to you), so arguably you have more control in the design.
  9. Maybe but UFH pipe is quite stiff and unwieldy, especially when coiled and is easily kinked and damaged so may be very tricky to do from underneath in limited space. Thinking laterally - maybe an electrical system would be easier to retrofit?
  10. Don't know how you'd do that with a traditional wet system as the pipe is quite inflexible and you need to have it between the spreader plates and floor deck. Was tricky enough doing it from above before laying the deck. However there may be a system that you could slot between the joists but still likely to be tricky.
  11. It's not all bad news - all the costa del sol pensioners can come home and settle on the south coast, enjoy the same sunshine, egg & chips diet and speaking english at the locals.
  12. Exactly, I am a self confessed climate refugee (in this case 20 years of NI Atlantic coast weather) so find the SE balmy in comparison. So we'll colonise from the midlands up and abandon the SE to the tourism industry (will be too hot to go abroad). You northerners will need to move in with the Scots - plenty of room for you all in the highlands.
  13. Ah I see. Well if the SE becomes climatically unpleasant to live in (wrt to the existing housing stock) and the midlands / north becomes the target zone then you may well see a migration over time
  14. Not sure where you're going with that but let's keep the conversation focused on quality of housing stock and preparedness for an increase in temperature.
  15. Many of us recent builders have realised that the most challenging issue is not keeping the house warm in winter but keeping it cool year round. The accompanying water shortage is also going to be a real challenge - my limited experience with RWH (3500l) shows that we just don't get enough rainfall in the SE to make it sustainable.