Jump to content

MikeSharp01

Members
  • Posts

    5693
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Everything posted by MikeSharp01

  1. The more I read through this thread the more I wonder if a deep learning classifier might be able to work this all out - eventually. We still seem to be applying classical scientific theory to it while other methods might work a little better in the massed data era. Have a look here for a broader view of these ideas. My musings are that in a well insulated house all the time series thermal events will have data characteristics that might be classified, mostly just slopes of temperature but when tied in to other events around the systems such as power consumption in / gas flow to the kitchen (With rates of consumption here it would be possible to get ahead of the cooling / heating systems) perhaps, the burglar alarm being disarmed = people coming in, it should be possible to classify the events and then propose control schemes that can cope - although naturally deep learning can do little but work with the laws of physics. Anyway just some musings.
  2. Control theory 101 great explanation. Need to mull it over I do.
  3. Welcome to THE forum.
  4. Yes as @PeterW suggests just do another wall plate along the end wall, it will fit in the gap and get right into the corner, simple.
  5. Sorry Ian but still wondering how the roof (if it is a roof) is supported at its edge. The wall plate usually has the joists mounted on it but the surface that is placed on the joists still need a small amount of support at their outer edge alongside the wall.
  6. This is what we have done - so it is scaremongering. The BCO has no problem with me building it neither does the structural warranty company.
  7. Welcome Ian - there are a few of us in the Kent chapter of BH.
  8. Sorry, but how is the edge of the floor secured to the blank wall on the right, should there not be some edge support running along it, is that what the gap is for?
  9. I started this thread as serious look at a new piece of research which might or might not have value for us in the long term, now it has turned into a pig's ear! So rather than have everybody posting mushroom / fungi names here I have found a reference to all, well many, of them: https://www.mssf.org/cookbook/names.html so now we can all play games seeing if we can get a mushroom name into our posts, not just on this thread but everywhere - mischievous or what!
  10. We used Advanced foundation Technologies system for our passive slab which I was very pleased with but there are loads of passive slab companies out there.
  11. Welcome to THE forum for self builds. Not all of us are kit builders, we are very much like you - stick building but with engineered timbers I-joists. This gives us 300mm thick insulation between the I Joists and then another 40mm on the outside to give us great U values.
  12. I thought the house in Henley was stunning - ICONIC (overused word I know) and they took their time to get it right and must have spent millions. I guess its about learning how to appreciate things which don't exude bling but nonetheless have cost a lot to achieve, as was I suspect the case with the Henley house last evening.
  13. So it becomes clear just how seriously we take real science round here - Luddites the lot of you....all the fungus right out of it.
  14. yep - looks like that, you start thinking this idea has a future and cancel your PV order.
  15. Looks like mushroom power is just around the corner - no really it is, see here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46127318
  16. About 2 weeks ago our immersion heaters stat overheat protection tripped out. I changed the stat and yesterday it, the new one, tripped again. So something funny is going on. I guess it must be the boiler circuit overheating the tank and I adjusted the boiler stat down 5 deg last time but that seems not to have cured it. Is there another failure mode I asked myself. The only thing I can think of is that the bypass valve is leaking so even when it is shut hot water continues to get through onto the coil. I will check that later but is there anything I have missed?
  17. If they can see it then I think you have a right to see it as well, just put in a FOI request and get them to send it to you or the link to the document online.
  18. Sorry, just catching up with things after a very hectic rush about weekend and aftermath. I guess that is why using the 'blink' has merit as it should be exactly what your meter reads and you can get the actual current consumption from the blink interval, should you wish to go in real time mode rather than only waking up every 30 seconds as @TerryE system does.
  19. There must, in the modern world, be a low power equivalent of the Must there not. How about the maxim DS1371 which has 800nA current demand and looks like it is RAM focused rather than Eeprom. Eds idea could work as well but it may rum up agains start up latency at high power demand as pulses cone thick and fast.
  20. If you are putting studs on the soleplate you can route just the pad areas flat. I did that on our garden room in a couple of places where the timber warped. Saved having to deal with the whole length.
  21. Sorry of course I don't mind. I was so freaked out by it I didn't think to bump the other thread.
  22. What did we think if that then? Can't quite get my head around it - don't know what I think. Obviously the concrete company were all over it. .
  23. Welcome to THE forum for self builders. Plans look like a great starting point but if you are appointing an architect you don't want to tie them down too much although you can insist on things like Timber frame, triple glazed windows, not too much glazing facing south and even less facing north if you are going passive. We were very clear with our architect about such things and they went away and started feeding back ideas which I then checked against the passive house criteria and eventually we ended up with a design. In choosing your rchitect you need to be clear about the budget while remembering that, in the main architects don't do money, and make sure you meet more than 1 so you can be sure you will 'get on'.
  24. Do not forget the growing trend for working from home!
  25. Welcome to THE self build forum.
×
×
  • Create New...