Grand Designs at Graven Hill starts tonight on Channel 4

ProDave

that single lass has got some bottle.  Its a lot to take on when you're on your own - I often come home at the end of an evenings graft / whole days graft and its good that the missus is here - cheers me up, who did she rely on for some emotional help?  Hats off to her.

• Like 5

The origonal theme of Graven Hill was that all the houses would be passivhaus but as things finally got going and plots/plot passports were developed, the passivhaus aspect had mysteriously disappeared. which is a shame. 

well good on them!  I think the first two did a great job and I liked both houses. But I agree, shame there is not a bit more detail.

Edited by TheMitchells

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

No sign of any renewables, PV etc. No mention of mvhr etc, in fact no technical details. Shame.

The first house had a single row of PV panels all the way along the ridge, no?

21 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

So how long were the timescales between the initial application for plots on McCloud Street to the point of finished homes?

I assume they were all built some time ago?

F

Found it.

The 10 Plots Street was first mooted around the start of 2015.

Edited by Ferdinand

Excellent 

Much better than the original GDs 

Showing all the newbies that you will end with a lovely home A few downs along the way and problaby over budget 

Ordinary people with a tight budget 

Great to see 

• Like 2

I agree, it was a breath of fresh air compared to the usual GD formula.  Got to admire both of them for getting really great houses at the end of their struggles, especially the lady on her own, as I think she just hadn't appreciated how much of a challenge self-building can be before they started.

11 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

The bloke building the house with the blue roof must be a saint, within 10minutes of watching I wanted to kill the old bird next door. 

My wife watched it and said exactly the same with no nudging from me. 

LoL....me too, although I couldn't help feeling some sympathy for her with the roof and floor disasters. 

She didn't have a clue what she was getting into at the start of the build. It's a classic case of Donald Rumsfeld's unknown unknowns.

The best summary I have seen is the Oxford Mail

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/17550473.meet-the-ten-self-build-stars-of-tvs-grand-designs/

But the national media soap-opera headlines are fun:

Telegraph "Grand Designs: the Street, episode 1 review: a gripping construction of neighbourly disputes, passive aggression and lunatic ambition"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2019/04/04/grand-designs-street-episode-1-review-gripping-construction/

Mail
Couple and their single neighbour who planned to help each other build their dream homes end up falling out after VERY heated rows on Grand Designs: The Street

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6885293/Warring-neighbours-fall-dream-self-build-project-branding-petty-ridiculous.html

Express (SEO in advance for Episode 2)

Couple blow £300K on a home made of hemp on Grand Designs: The Street

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/property/1109749/Grand-Designs-the-street-kevin-mccloud-channel-4

Standard

https://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tvfilm/grand-designs-the-street-solidly-built-rigidly-structured-welcome-to-the-dream-home-of-diy-a4109786.html

Grand Designs The Street: Solidly built, rigidly structured... welcome to the dream home of DIY entertainment

And so on...

Ferdinand

• Haha 1

I enjoyed it. I agree much better than some of the more lavish GD output. The woman was a tad irritating, I suspect there may have been an almighty bust up with the other couple off camera. My wife didnt like her because she constantly had her eyes shut when talking to camera! But showed I think that self build is within the grasp of mere mortals with more modest budgets. And the woman clearly had to cash in every asset to fund the overspend, shows the harsh reality of self build budget, rather than the usual GD wealthy professional couple giving  the money tree a shake or finding an extra 250k behind the sofa. 

The structural issue she encountered was horrid, I really felt for her there, that gap in the ridge looked awful but I guess could have been worse - those rafters were seated by a wafer, imagine if they'd completely separated! Would have been good to have understood the root cause of that - was it design, the beams not meeting spec or installation error? . Perhaps at time of filming liability was in dispute so they had to gloss over it.

And I'd love too see a new sister show of GD, it would be called Shit Designs and be a fly on the wall doc of a large volume house builder and show just how rubbish most new built stock is.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, MarkyP said:

And I'd love too see a new sister show of GD, it would be called Shit Designs and be a fly on the wall doc of a large volume house builder and show just how rubbish most new built stock is.

And name and shame the builders ?