Kitchen smell transfer via MVHR fresh air vents

My partner started frying some onions in the kitchen, while I was upstairs, I was amazed that the onion smell came out of the fresh air vent in the room I was in.  (my partner had previously commented that when I burn the toast she can smell it from the fresh air vent in her ensuite bathroom with the door closed)

Anyone else experience similar?

note my own investigations of my MVHR suggests there a sealing issue allowing some 'cross-talk' but before I fix it I was wondering if this smell transfer is normal?

Yes we have experienced something similar, but it has been intermittment nd I suspect that one source of the "cross-talk" is the external inlet and outlets. In our case they are both on the same external wall about 2.5m apart. Also the MVHR does not seal 100% - I think some of the manufacturers publish figures about this, I recall seeing figures in the upper 90% for sealing against cross flows.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
Just now, Adsibob said:

I’m in the process of designing my MVHR layout and this is definitely something I want to avoid. What are the recommendations for siting inlet and exhaust? How far apart should they be and can they both be in the same side/orientation of the house?

@readiescards, did you ever solve this?

To ensure they aren’t off balance they need to be on the same wall. Try and get a minimum 1200 horizontal distance between them and vertical separation if possible. Also make sure they are accessible (or don’t have fine mesh on the intake) as you will need to access them to clean them otherwise. 

11 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Also make sure they are accessible (or don’t have fine mesh on the intake) as you will need to access them to clean them otherwise. 

Supply and extract on same external wall. 2.5m apart, extract 1.5m higher. Never had any cross contamination.

Fine mesh supply clogged after 9 months.

Inlet.jpg

Edited by JamesP