My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

hi all. back on a bit of plumbing thinking and was wondering if anyone would know the easiest/best way to connect a 22mm hep2o pipe in to a soil stack? details are that this is the drain down from the RWH header tank if/when the water needs to be replaced to save it becoming 'stale'. there's a 22mm drain off pipe and the MI suggests running a pipe back to the RWH tank but I'm not sure that'll be possible. when I spoke to them about this they said they suggest that to conserve water but if I don't want to do that I can just put it in to a drain. 

so that's what I want to do. I've got the 22mm hep2o pipe. just need to put it in to a 110mm waste pipe. I presume using a boss adaptor but how to I go from 22mm hep2o to something that will fit in to a boss adaptor?

8 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

This thread is now 1001 posts long - bonkers. Length is all the words strung together possibly longer than your pipe length!

but I'm miles behind @Onoff and @Pocster's bathroom threads! it's hard trying to keep up.

26 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

This thread is now 1001 posts long - bonkers. Length is all the words strung together possibly longer than your pipe length!

Yeah ; I’ve given up with my expert advice to @Thorfun . If he can’t work out now he’s a useless mofo .

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

so that's what I want to do. I've got the 22mm hep2o pipe. just need to put it in to a 110mm waste pipe. I presume using a boss adaptor but how to I go from 22mm hep2o to something that will fit in to a boss adaptor?

Don’t know . (expletive deleted)ing lame though after all this time 😘

• Haha 1

Are you sure it’s 22mm and not overflow pipe size, you know the traditional toilet overflow stuff, if it’s that, then you can get a reducing boss that glues from that to 40mm strap on boss on the 110mm. 

Had a quick google. Overflow pipe is 21.5mm in new money, so that might be what your after. 

Standard stuff is just for drainage and can be brittle, you can get pressure pipe fittings that are used in the swimming pool industry, where pumps are involved. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

With this?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-boss-connector-white-22mm/719hr

Alternatively you could use an adapter like this:

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/condensate-traps-and-fittings/r16-blc-reducer-abs

to then fit to a normal boss?

Edited by SimonD

38 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Are you sure it’s 22mm and not overflow pipe size, you know the traditional toilet overflow stuff, if it’s that, then you can get a reducing boss that glues from that to 40mm strap on boss on the 110mm. 

Had a quick google. Overflow pipe is 21.5mm in new money, so that might be what your after. 

Standard stuff is just for drainage and can be brittle, you can get pressure pipe fittings that are used in the swimming pool industry, where pumps are involved. 

definitely 22mm hep2o. I ran it myself! 🙂 

image.thumb.png.cd8500b1ea05dd9a4a6a071ae3296caa.png

it's outlet "A" - refresh outlet to underground tank - 22mm.

6 minutes ago, SimonD said:

thanks. but you know what? I'm a real daft (expletive deleted)er sometimes. I'd already started a thread about this very subject and the conclusion was the very same part. and I've already bought one! 🤦‍♂️

I'm so sorry for wasting your time. I knew something seemed familiar about my question and I did search within this thread to see if I'd asked it here as I thought I'd keep ALL my plumbing questions in the one thread. but it seemed I even failed at that. @Pocster is right......again......I am a useless mofo. 😭

that's the problem with having 100 things going on in my head at once, there's not enough room to store everything and things drop out and are forgotten about very quickly.

I think I need a break from this self-building malarky. it's doing my head in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Thorfun said:

I think I need a break from this self-building malarky. it's doing my head in.

You do . But you need to listen to me ( caveat that doesn’t mean I’m right ) . A decade of experience though counts for something/ nothing .

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

and I've already bought one! 🤦‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

now I just have to remember where I put it. 🤣😭

Do I half know both of those. I bought a massive load of bolts for fixing timber plates etc. to the steels and doubling/trebbling joists. When they arrived, I went to put them on a shelf in the garage only to find a few boxes already there full of bolts. I'd looked as hard as I could to find what I had before ordering more as I was sure I had them but couldn't find them at the time! Now my head is even worse.....which is why I come here to hide and get some therapy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

tomorrow I will be fitting shower screens. I have read up on the threads about such stuff on here but I have a question for @Nickfromwales if he's around.

Nick, I know you've been really busy lately and not been on here much but if you do pop on please can you answer this.....

in this post

you have put the screen just to the outside of the grout line at the edge of the shower former. is there a specific reason that you didn't put it ON the grout line? I was thinking to put it on the grout line but if the master doesn't do that then I will re-consider. was just wondering on the reasoning behind it.

Also, in this post 

you mention putting masking tape either side of where the glass will hit the floor, yet in the other post you don't use masking tape. is that just because you've done a load of them and are a master and us mere mortals should use the masking tape?

• Like 1

On 10/01/2024 at 00:03, Thorfun said:

that's the problem with having 100 things going on in my head at once, there's not enough room to store everything and things drop out and are forgotten about very quickly.

Same here 😩. My wife is a life saver listening to me babble on about insane house build problems, that make no sense. The number of times I’ve stopped in mid-rant, when the answers comes to me. The very definition of a sounding board. Anyway @Thorfun, this thread is a goldmine of information, I sure there are many silent readers that have appreciated it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Thorfun said:

tomorrow I will be fitting shower screens. I have read up on the threads about such stuff on here but I have a question for @Nickfromwales if he's around.

Nick, I know you've been really busy lately and not been on here much but if you do pop on please can you answer this.....

in this post

you have put the screen just to the outside of the grout line at the edge of the shower former. is there a specific reason that you didn't put it ON the grout line? I was thinking to put it on the grout line but if the master doesn't do that then I will re-consider. was just wondering on the reasoning behind it.

actually @Nickfromwales don't worry as in this post

you've put the screen directly on the grout line between the mosaics and normal tiles. so there's got to be no issue with putting the screen on the grout line. I will just ensure I have a nice thick bead of clear CT1 to bed the screen on to and masking tape either side of the grout line.

see.....you're such a master that you don't even need to respond to posts anymore! 🤣

• Like 1

On 09/01/2024 at 18:28, Thorfun said:

hi all. back on a bit of plumbing thinking and was wondering if anyone would know the easiest/best way to connect a 22mm hep2o pipe in to a soil stack? details are that this is the drain down from the RWH header tank if/when the water needs to be replaced to save it becoming 'stale'. there's a 22mm drain off pipe and the MI suggests running a pipe back to the RWH tank but I'm not sure that'll be possible. when I spoke to them about this they said they suggest that to conserve water but if I don't want to do that I can just put it in to a drain. 

We have the same system - the raindirector was in the garage so we ran the outlet back outside to the downpipe, in copper.

It is very rarely used to be honest, commissioning and holidays for the refresh.  

2 hours ago, Blooda said:

We have the same system - the raindirector was in the garage so we ran the outlet back outside to the downpipe, in copper.

It is very rarely used to be honest, commissioning and holidays for the refresh.  

in the end I managed to fit a second pipe through the ducting back to the RWH tank and so the discharge will go in to that and back to the tank. 

• Like 1

2 x shower screens completed. the scariest bit was drilling holes in the tiles and to ensure they were in the correct place! that's not something easy to rectify. luckily all worked well.

IMG_5968.thumb.jpeg.89312f53916da22434d1878a0162019d.jpeg

IMG_5973.thumb.jpeg.44e5ce8eb2ba794ed05bc7dfb3a01f59.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thorfun said:

2 x shower screens completed. the scariest bit was drilling holes in the tiles and to ensure they were in the correct place! that's not something easy to rectify. luckily all worked well.

IMG_5968.thumb.jpeg.89312f53916da22434d1878a0162019d.jpeg

IMG_5973.thumb.jpeg.44e5ce8eb2ba794ed05bc7dfb3a01f59.jpeg

When are going to test it ? I.e proper shower ??