My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

27 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

that's the HRC. if you can tell me how to make that connection NOT inside the wall without having a load of connections under the sink then I'm all ears! I did think about the potential risk of making that connection behind the wall and then figured I'm already putting 90° elbow bends behind the wall to bring the hep2o out so there's already a risk behind the wall. 

to make that HRC connection outside of the wall I'll have to bring the 15mm hot and the 10mm HRC out through the wall via 90° elbows and then join with the reducing T. all sounds rather messy.

What kind of sink do you have?

enclosed, pedestal or??

If the pipe work is visible you could argue copper looks ‘nicer ‘.

You can get hep20 radiator connectors I.e visible where traditionally you’d have copper .

I think it’s professional pride I.e a real plumber wants it visually neat ( assume this it @TonyT ‘s point )   .

I respect that .

Programmer : how to determine if an integer is odd or even .

You could /2 - check for a remainder or use MOD ( similar thing ) - will work .

Proper software engineer : AND with 1 

BOOM ! - skills are in the house !

BOOM WW3 ( perhaps not )

Professional pride …

7 minutes ago, TonyT said:

If it’s a unit, wouldn’t it be better

to bring the unbroken pipes into the unit and transition to copper there , ensuring no non accessible joints in the wall ?

There’s not enough room to bend the plastic pipe out within the stud walls. I’m ok with having a fitting behind the wall at each appliance/sink/basin etc. I have no other joins from plant room to tap so my risk of leaks is greatly reduced. And if there ever is a leak I know where it’ll be. 

• 2 weeks later...

greetings! I need to plumb in the showers next. we have Hansgrohe iBox with shower select 2 plates feeding a shower hose and a ceiling drencher head. the same setup in 3 showers.

my question is around copper or hep2o. most of the pictures of peoples installations done by 'proper' plumbers based in the UK are copper from the iBox to the shower outlets. is there a reason this can't be done is hep2o? or, I guess the better question is, what is the benefit of using copper? or would it be a case of 'we've always done it that way'?

if copper from the iBox to the shower outlets is best can I use push fit copper fittings? I'm not sure I want to start learning how to solder copper this far in to my plumbing journey!

6 hours ago, Thorfun said:

most of the pictures of peoples installations done by 'proper' plumbers based in the UK are copper from the iBox to the shower outlets

Compact compared with plastic fittings when burying it in walls/hiding behind tiles etc 

Rigid so holds the fittings in place when you're screwing stuff into them

End feed copper is fun and makes it look difficult?

8 hours ago, markocosic said:

End feed copper is fun and makes it look difficult?

Is it not difficult then? Surely the risk of leaking is high for a novice and push fit copper is safer and quicker! Albeit more expensive. But when you take the time to do the soldering in to consideration the money saved on labour balances out the cost of the pushfit fittings?

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

Is it not difficult then? Surely the risk of leaking is high for a novice and push fit copper is safer and quicker! Albeit more expensive. But when you take the time to do the soldering in to consideration the money saved on labour balances out the cost of the pushfit fittings?

All complete nonsense ! . Hep2o is the designated choice for plumbers and non plumbers . Real plumbers don’t like it because it makes them obsolete !! . Stop stalling ! - do some work 😎

2 hours ago, Pocster said:

All complete nonsense ! . Hep2o is the designated choice for plumbers and non plumbers . Real plumbers don’t like it because it makes them obsolete !! . Stop stalling ! - do some work 😎

sadly Covid has got in the way of me doing any work. so I'm researching stuff at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted one iBox with hep2o and was very joyous when I tested it and it looked dry! sadly that didn't last and I found a small weeping leak. this is due to the fact that my adjustable wrench is rather fat and so I couldn't tighten it any further. so I have ordered a slim adjustable wrench which will allow me to tighten all the connections up. 

still, thought I'd post a photo of how it looks anyway.

image.jpeg.30488947505ae36ee7bba3647b09d34e.jpeg

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, joe90 said:

No nut? (Ply behind plasterboard) and is it a flat end or tapered you connect the pipe too 🤷‍♂️

that's all I've got! I've not put any plasterboard up yet so can put whatever noggins are required.

I can take a photo of the end of it tomorrow to see what the end is but I think it's tapered like the one I posted in my other thread about the hep2o tap connector.

38 minutes ago, Onoff said:

How I did mine:

imageproxy (8)

Above I folded a stainless steel door plate and screwed to two joists. Then there's a nylon washer, a thick brass washer, then a BSP nut. 

imageproxy (6)

imageproxy (7)

imageproxy (9)

blimey that seems complicated! I was hoping to pop to the plumbing shop and just buy something off the shelf and screw it to a piece of wood!