My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

20 minutes ago, Pocster said:

When are going to test it ? I.e proper shower ??

think that'll be a while yet. the UFH and towel rails aren't working yet and so the floor is pretty darn cold. wouldn't really be the luxurious shower we are hoping for!

• Like 1

On 11/01/2024 at 13:05, Thorfun said:

actually @Nickfromwales don't worry as in this post

you've put the screen directly on the grout line between the mosaics and normal tiles. so there's got to be no issue with putting the screen on the grout line. I will just ensure I have a nice thick bead of clear CT1 to bed the screen on to and masking tape either side of the grout line.

see.....you're such a master that you don't even need to respond to posts anymore! 🤣

Nope lol, just crazy busy as works just exploded. 
I don’t straddle the grout lines so the glass is sat on a uniform tile, vs sat across 2 which won’t be perfectly level. 
Prop OTT, but the toughened glass is quite intolerable of point loading / contact, so best safe than sorry afaic. 

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Nope lol, just crazy busy as works just exploded. 
I don’t straddle the grout lines so the glass is sat on a uniform tile, vs sat across 2 which won’t be perfectly level. 
Prop OTT, but the toughened glass is quite intolerable of point loading / contact, so best safe than sorry afaic. 

way too late for me I'm afraid! already installed and bedded on a thick bead of CT1 along the grout line. I'm sure it'll be fine🤞 

• Like 1

qq and looking for a poll really. 

when fitting a toilet should I go for CT1 behind the pan or those sound insulation pads?

and if sound insulation pads generic like this or named brand for the toilet or frame?

oh, and one more question. my rimless toilet came with a flow attenuation thingy to put inline with the flow pipe. should I fit regardless or dry fit the toilet and flush it a few times to see if it's needed before taking off the pan and fitting the attenuator and then fitting the pan properly and siliconing it all in.

I don't want to fit the pan and seal it and then have to cut out the silicone to fit the attenuator! but also don't want to fit the attenuator only to find that it's attenuated the flow too much or wasn't required.

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

oh, and one more question. my rimless toilet came with a flow attenuation thingy to put inline with the flow pipe. should I fit regardless or dry fit the toilet and flush it a few times to see if it's needed before taking off the pan and fitting the attenuator and then fitting the pan properly and siliconing it all in.

I don't want to fit the pan and seal it and then have to cut out the silicone to fit the attenuator! but also don't want to fit the attenuator only to find that it's attenuated the flow too much or wasn't required.

What’s the point of the attenuation? . I know what it does - but erm why ? 

Personally, I'd dry fit, flush and see, only because I've heard that rimless loo's have a tendency to splash/spray a bit, but individual mileage may vary.  I don't think it hurts to do a test fit and trial.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

Personally, I'd dry fit, flush and see, only because I've heard that rimless loo's have a tendency to splash/spray a bit, but individual mileage may vary.  I don't think it hurts to do a test fit and trial.

I have rimless with no attenuation . It can splash a tiny bit - but no real issue when you consider all the piss and shit covering the floor anyway .

Edited by Pocster
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Pocster said:

piss and shit covering the floor anyway

Sounds like one of your old slave ships from the 17th and 18th centuries.

"Once she goes black, she ain't every coming back"

undefined

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

On 21/01/2024 at 19:15, Thorfun said:

qq and looking for a poll really. 

when fitting a toilet should I go for CT1 behind the pan or those sound insulation pads?

and if sound insulation pads generic like this or named brand for the toilet or frame?

so no one has any thoughts/opinions on those sound insulation pads? 🤔

On 21/01/2024 at 19:17, Thorfun said:

Unnecessary imo. I did mind line the Geberit wall hung frame with acoustic pads. Can't hear anything going down the soil pipe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Unnecessary imo. I did mind line the Geberit wall hung frame with acoustic pads. Can't hear anything going down the soil pipe.

But can you hear anything going up your soil pipe ?

29 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I thought the sound pads were to reduce noise of porcelain against tile? 

21 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Not sure what you mean. This worked for me:

20170802_193845

20170802_183719

Ahh….right. I was asking about those foam sheets that sit between the pan and the tiles. I presume you just used CT1 on the back of the pan to cushion it against the tiles? I have read your thread but it was a long time ago! 
I’m sure most on here just use CT1 as I believe that’s what @Nickfromwales suggests but the MI for our pan shows a cushioning sheet between the pan and the wall so I thought I’d ask the question. 

1 minute ago, Thorfun said:

Ahh….right. I was asking about those foam sheets that sit between the pan and the tiles. I presume you just used CT1 on the back of the pan to cushion it against the tiles? I have read your thread but it was a long time ago! 
I’m sure most on here just use CT1 as I believe that’s what @Nickfromwales suggests but the MI for our pan shows a cushioning sheet between the pan and the wall so I thought I’d ask the question. 

I squirted a load of CT1 behind my pan, tightened it up and wiped off the excess with baby wipes. Once the CT1 had cured I went over it with a bathroom silicone. 

• Like 1

Just now, jayc89 said:

I squirted a load of CT1 behind my pan, tightened it up and wiped off the excess with baby wipes. Once the CT1 had cured I went over it with a bathroom silicone. 

Yeah, sounds like that’s right out of @Nickfromwales’s playbook!

was just curious if anyone had gone the foam sheet route and had any feedback. 

2 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

How much did the CT1 leave the pan off the wall? 1mm? 2mm? Or more?

2 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

Same here. Left the CT1 for I think 36hrs until putting any weight on it".

My tiling doesn't look too bad from this angle...

2019-02-10_08-58-28

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Same here. Left the CT1 for I think 36hrs until putting any weight on it".

My tiling doesn't look too bad from this angle...

2019-02-10_08-58-28

At least the grout is a decent colour. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Thorfun said:

How much did the CT1 leave the pan off the wall? 1mm? 2mm? Or more?

It shouldn't really leave the pan off the wall much at all, just to fill the undulations of the tiles/pan, allow for full contact and a longer lasting seal than your typical bathroom sealant. 

• Like 2