My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

rhetorical question time now.....

why is buying a toilet so hard? 

too many options out there I think is the reason. haven't a clue which manufacturer to go for. I have a list of about 20 different toilets that I will ask the wife to go through and we can cross off what she's not interested in and then try and pick a style, quality, cost option from what's left.

10 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

rhetorical question time now.....

why is buying a toilet so hard? 

too many options out there I think is the reason. haven't a clue which manufacturer to go for. I have a list of about 20 different toilets that I will ask the wife to go through and we can cross off what she's not interested in and then try and pick a style, quality, cost option from what's left.

Depends what you want . Imho rimless ( steady ) , wall mount . Easier to clean under ( or in my case for robot vac ) ; also you can make higher if you are taller like me .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

Depends what you want . Imho rimless ( steady ) , wall mount . Easier to clean under ( or in my case for robot vac ) ; also you can make higher if you are taller like me .

rimless wall hung is what we're after. but the options are countless! even from the same manufacturer it seems they each have a plethora of options within the same range. 🤯

10 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

rimless wall hung is what we're after. but the options are countless! even from the same manufacturer it seems they each have a plethora of options within the same range. 🤯

Let SWMBO choose then you can’t be wrong . It will be the most expensive btw …

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, pocster said:

Let SWMBO choose then you can’t be wrong . It will be the most expensive btw …

I have the opposite problem, we dont live together (yet) but I’m engage to a real spend thrift who doesn’t like spending money. I’m sure you all feel my pain ….. maybe! 

12 minutes ago, markc said:

I have the opposite problem, we dont live together (yet) but I’m engage to a real spend thrift who doesn’t like spending money. I’m sure you all feel my pain! 

Quite  the opposite mate. (Jealousy emoji).

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 27/10/2022 at 10:11, Thorfun said:

it's funny, I was talking to your dad about your manifold system as I mentioned to him I was starting mine soon. when he said you and he did it together I wasn't expecting such a piece of artwork! well done indeed. 

sadly, I have a feeling mine will not be as neat as this as I have a small gap to feed all the pipes through so they'll all bunch up as they go through the ceiling of the basement to the ground floor.

Feeding all the pipes through the timbers took ages, so much easier having 2 people doing it.

If you could see the pipes either side of the cupboard before it was plaster boarded you wouldn't think it was so neat! Just be careful when threading them through as if they rub together they wear down fairly rapidly.

However much 15mm Hep2o you think you need, double it!! I'm sure there is less on the roll than stated.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ian Phillips said:

However much 15mm Hep2o you think you need, double it!! I'm sure there is less on the roll than stated.

ha ha.....I bought mine from Screwfix so can easily pop down to replenish if I run out.

42 minutes ago, Ian Phillips said:

Feeding all the pipes through the timbers took ages, so much easier having 2 people doing it.

If you could see the pipes either side of the cupboard before it was plaster boarded you wouldn't think it was so neat! Just be careful when threading them through as if they rub together they wear down fairly rapidly.

I put washer pipe outlet hose bits through - to act as a sleeve on the Hep2o and stop it rubbing against timber / concrete 

so, who would've thought that the toilet choice gets even more complicated! looking at Bernstein toilets as per @Onoff's recommendation and they've some specified as 'washdown' toilets. (https://bernstein-badshop.com/toilets/wall-mounted-wc/a-34070). 

so a quick google later I now know the difference between syphonic and washdown toilets. sounds like washdown is better and I'm now concerned that if a toilet doesn't specifically state it's flushing mechanism that I might end up with a syphonic WC. e.g. this toilet doesn't state washdown https://bernstein-badshop.com/toilets-00000000000000000000000000000691/wall-mounted-wc/a-13972

am I being paranoid? I did read that most European toilets are washdown and the US use syphonic. so maybe every loo I can buy in Europe is washdown anyway and so nothing to worry about!

Edited by Thorfun

got another noddy question. putting together my hep2o brass manifolds and I notice that there's a rubber grommet on the male end. does that mean I don't need any form of tape and do I tighten until the rubber grommet is fully squished?

my first attempt I've used some loctite 55 on the male thread and screwed in to the female end and then tightened the nut which has squished the rubber ring as shown below

IMG_4446.jpeg.e4c44aefa8b61705cba4191565c5d47c.jpeg

here's the rubber ring at the end of the one I attached waiting for the next manifold to go on.

IMG_4447.jpeg.fcb41577ca90394095f81497851e0da0.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

got another noddy question. putting together my hep2o brass manifolds and I notice that there's a rubber grommet on the male end. does that mean I don't need any form of tape and do I tighten until the rubber grommet is fully squished?

my first attempt I've used some loctite 55 on the male thread and screwed in to the female end and then tightened the nut which has squished the rubber ring as shown below

IMG_4446.jpeg.e4c44aefa8b61705cba4191565c5d47c.jpeg

here's the rubber ring at the end of the one I attached waiting for the next manifold to go on.

IMG_4447.jpeg.fcb41577ca90394095f81497851e0da0.jpeg

My futile opinion…

not sure about that washers function .

Put tape on it . You’ll soon find out when you pressure it up …

Edit : looks like you’ve got the same manifolds I have . Don’t remember a rubber washer ….

Edited by pocster

16 minutes ago, pocster said:

Just checked mine for you .

No washers ; but plenty of tape .

cheers. I've put the recommended amount of Loctite 55 on it and it's pretty darn tight. guess I'll find out when water is connected as to how good it really is!

maybe the rubber washer is a new thing from Wavin?

now I've started creating the manifolds I'm thinking about my proposed layout and whether it's the best way of doing it. this is what I was going to do (option 1).

225422348_Untitleddrawing-5.png.aabe0ea09bd1e950afef680583de0310.png

have separate manifolds for each 'side' of the house. but I'm wondering if it might be better to do one big manifold for hot and cold and feed the source from both ends, like this (option 2):

1489268880_Untitleddrawing-4.png.884bd45cc9de8db0bbec520d821f7e5e.png

any preferences or benefits to either way? or is it all pretty much the same? 

I'm still a bit confused as to how the HRC manifold feeds back in to the hot manifold but I think that's a question for later!