My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

Just now, Thorfun said:

are you talking about the spigots? if i can't remove it then i'll need to replace the manifold!

the brass hep20 manifolds are not cheap! and if i've got a spigot stuck in one port then it could be a problem.

Ah right ! Didn’t realise this was going straight into your manifold - just assumed another ‘cheap’ hep20 fitting . Don’t use spigot on manifold , new rule 🙄👍😎🤣

• Like 1

Just now, pocster said:

Sometimes they do come out . But with such effort and swearing in my part I worry I’ve busted the fitting and it will leak . So rule is use spigot - never remove spigot 

ok. sounds like an interesting rule. might go with the 15mm short pipe to 15mm -> 10mm reducer then. at least i can remove it even if it does cost me a few extra pounds per connection

• Like 1

Just now, pocster said:

Ah right ! Didn’t realise this was going straight into your manifold - just assumed another ‘cheap’ hep20 fitting . Don’t use spigot on manifold , new rule 🙄👍😎🤣

glad i asked now.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pocster said:

This is also true . Spigot end in - it never comes out !

Bollocks. Of course they come out. Stick to your pi$$ coloured grouting, you. :D 

2 hours ago, Thorfun said:

glad i asked now.

Glad you asked who?

Drumroll please...........

Screenshot(185).thumb.png.56eac0b5d48c43513b4bb09d97af2fe9.png

The entire Hep2o range is demountable.

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Bollocks. Of course they come out. Stick to your pi$$ coloured grouting, you. :D 

Glad you asked who?

Yeah yeah bs . Those spigots can be a bitch to get out especially if the angle is tight - 90 degree spigot into 90 degree hep20 . I decided ( for the sake of risking a failed connector ) that a spigot fitting is a 1 way fitting ( unless it demounts instantly ) . This is now hep20 law .

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah yeah bs . Those spigots can be a bitch to get out especially if the angle is tight - 90 degree spigot into 90 degree hep20 . I decided ( for the sake of risking a failed connector ) that a spigot fitting is a 1 way fitting ( unless it demounts instantly ) . This is now hep20 law .

Bad workman......................tools.......................blame.................... 🙄

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Bad workman......................tools.......................blame.................... 🙄

💩 

I have the plastic demounters and the metal spanner type. Spigots can sometimes be tricky . Indeed after fighting and swearing I have demounted one ; used it elsewhere and it leaked - so assume I damaged it . @ToughButterCup seems to also have experienced this . Too many attempts to demount ( spigot or standard fitting ) I bin for peace of mind . As @Thorfun pointed out - he’s going into the manifold ; so for peace of his mind IF he needs to demount don’t use a spigot .

@Nickfromwales you are wrong . You are no longer the resident expert on such things ; I am . Because I’ve done it , busted the fixing , swore , caused the leak , swore , fixed it , swore and then posted real world experience of such things .

word ! 🤛

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

💩

I have the plastic demounters and the metal spanner type. Spigots can sometimes be tricky . Indeed after fighting and swearing I have demounted one ; used it elsewhere and it leaked - so assume I damaged it . @ToughButterCup seems to also have experienced this . Too many attempts to demount ( spigot or standard fitting ) I bin for peace of mind . As @Thorfun pointed out - he’s going into the manifold ; so for peace of his mind IF he needs to demount don’t use a spigot .

@Nickfromwales you are wrong . You are no longer the resident expert on such things ; I am . Because I’ve done it , busted the fixing , swore , caused the leak , swore , fixed it , swore and then posted real world experience of such things .

word ! 🤛

oh no! what have I started?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Glad you asked who?

I have these. I thought they'd be the ones to remove the spigots.

I'm now conflicted. obviously the spigots are a lot neater and I "shouldn't" ever need to demount so maybe I should (as the master @pocster often says) grow a pair and get on with it! 😂

Just now, Thorfun said:

oh no! what have I started?

Rule of thumb spigots can be more difficult to demount than standard fittings . I had a spigot fitting in place and for the love of god I couldn’t demount it ( admittedly access was awkward ) so I cut the hep20 pipe either side and installed a standard fitting .

I had a PM from the moderators telling me to be more helpful to the buildhub community. It indicated I should be more forceful on my approach as a non professional yet self builder . No monetary incentives were offered .

3 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

In hand ( not in situ ) plug a spigot into a fitting and test it a few times . If you find it easy to dismount ( remember not in situ - so will be easier anyway ) then go for it . If after 5 attempts and swearing - you might decide otherwise 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pocster said:

I had a PM from the moderators telling me to be more helpful to the buildhub community. It indicated I should be more forceful on my approach as a non professional yet self builder . No monetary incentives were offered .

I did notice there was an 'important message' banner at the top of the site now, which I presume was for you? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thorfun said:

I'm now conflicted. obviously the spigots are a lot neater and I "shouldn't" ever need to demount so maybe I should (as the master @pocster often says) grow a pair and get on with it! 😂

Ignore Capt. Yellowgrout. You won't need to remove them. They go in and stay in, then you move onto the next problem. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

afternoon all. I'm resurrecting this thread as, sadly, I'm still not finished with my first fix plumbing. I still need to do the basin/sink/bath/shower waste.

focusing first on basin and sink waste......

is there a standard height above FFL that I should run the waste pipes to? or does it completely depend on the basin? I would've thought there was a standard basin height and so that would lead to a standard waste level.

Also, is there a strict requirement for maximum falls as there is with foul waste? if so, what is it? I presume I can do vertical drops and then the required fall into a boss on the 110mm waste pipes?

I was going to just use 40mm solvent weld pipe for all basins and sinks. is that ok and the correct thing to do? I seem to recall @Nickfromwales saying something about 32mm pipes furring up over time.

32mm for basins, 40mm for kitchen sink, bath, showers ( sometimes 50)

Height does depend on the item being installed, if it's pedestal then put it anywhere, but if it's wall hung  with exposed chrome traps etc then you need to be precise.

I always find it easier to get all the bits ( sinks, wastes etc) together and then work backwards from finished height.

You must have learned by now there is feck all standard with UK plumbing. Other than left hot, cold right. (Exception Unless you buy a mass build house and it's pot luck🤣 )

• Like 3

Buy every bit of bathroom fittings you need . Working ‘ backwards ‘ from fitting too ‘ see ‘ how the pipework should be is much easier .

Solvent weld is the stuff . If you aren’t brave that it sets in 3 seconds use tiger seal ( or similar ) gives lots more play time .

Personally with waste from basin/shower/bath - unless it’s an exceptionally long run then any fall would be suitable . Await @Nickfromwales to tell me off . 
if your 110mm isn’t far away ( like mine , cause I actually planned that  😁 ) it’s unlikely to be an issue .

Now stop fannying and posting and do it !

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1