Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

That looks like the typical "help me out, it has to be finished by Christmas" jobs that pour in at this time of year.

If you remember, Christmas 2016 came and went without divorce so I reckon I'm good! :)

Lot of other stuff going on (ill health mainly, amongst family & friends) so the bathroom seemed like a good place to hide at the mo!

• 2 weeks later...

I think one thing holding me up is "regret" that I didn't bring the vertical stack inside, up the corner where it currently exits through the wall. Then down and under the floor. Could have got a totally clean, external wall, easier for future EWI.

11 hours ago, ProDave said:

Not too late to change it?

Never too late...but...

Mod the stud wall - easy 'ish

Dig out the foam & introduce a slip coupling to the horizontal (brown) waste from the wc - easy. Then worry for ever more?

20170730_101136

Excavate that corner with restricted access, OK the 100mm slab isn't there. It'll mean digging (coring? ), down through the Polypipe panel, PIR, EPS, the concrete to square off footings then through the footings themselves:

Selection_192

Breaking out the concrete I introduced in that corner will be tight  - where the green rake handle is:

SAM_1086

Mod the soil pipe in the loft

Introduce a swept bend and bring out under the footings - 

All to get rid of all this. The further over, black soil from the d'stairs cloak would also need to be changed to down thru the floor and out under the footings. If I later change to a gable end even the drain pipe could go. Then blast all that paint off, render and EWI! 

SAM_4277

Edited by Onoff

5 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you put 200mm of ewi on the outside you could go straight over the soil pipe and never know it's there. 

Winner. ?????????

on a serious note is it a possibility to make boxing out of Ewi and hide the soil pipe. ?

Is that a serious option? A boxed in soil pipe would still be an ugly feature on the wall.

Would it? 

What if the boxing was quite wide like a chimney breast on an outside wall 900wide 150deep 

could it look like it was always there ?

i made some very nice window details out of poly covered in fibreglass mesh and render. 

Every body who came around had to give them a tap as they couldn't believe it was polystyrene. 

12 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Would it? 

What if the boxing was quite wide like a chimney breast on an outside wall 900wide 150deep 

could it look like it was always there ?

i made some very nice window details out of poly covered in fibreglass mesh and render. 

Every body who came around had to give them a tap as they couldn't believe it was polystyrene. 

The missus isn't mad keen on deep window reveals tbh!

How reliable are 110mm (brown) slip couplings? Do they do then with a rubber double seal each end rather than just one?

Or...is there such a thing as a solvent weld slip coupling though I can't see how that'd work!

Ta. 

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

How reliable are 110mm (brown) slip couplings? Do they do then with a rubber double seal each end rather than just one?

Or...is there such a thing as a solvent weld slip coupling though I can't see how that'd work!

Ta. 

They have to be double socket ( double seal ) to slip, and they're as reliable as a Volkswagen :)

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just extend them for now and EWI the walls. Then cut them back so they can be clipped onto the EWI and move on with the bathroom. ;)  

I thought soil pipes penetrating the EWI sort of defeated the object and created a cold spot? Plus after a smooth exterior wall.

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I thought soil pipes penetrating the EWI sort of defeated the object and created a cold spot? Plus after a smooth exterior wall.

It's the real world which means two tiny cold bridges on an otherwise thermally efficient existing dwelling = infinitely better ;). Sometimes you've got to accept a little compromise.

Calculate the additinal energy loss from those two insignificant bridges, and then work out the cost of re-doing all the good work so far and you'll have your answer. Just simply not worth it imo. Is the elevation in question at the side / rear ?

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

It's the real world which means two tiny cold bridges on an otherwise thermally efficient existing dwelling = infinitely better ;). Sometimes you've got to accept a little compromise.

Calculate the additinal energy loss from those two insignificant bridges, and then work out the cost of re-doing all the good work so far and you'll have your answer. Just simply not worth it imo. Is the elevation in question at the side / rear ?

Calculate? That'll be a first! It's all plagiarism and gut feel in this house! :)

NNW facing elevation hence takes the brunt of the wind coming up the valley and always in shade. 50%  of the elevation is solid brick nom 300 thick. Then the later bathroom extension that's a cavity wall (pick a brick/block type and it's probably been used from what I can tell). All covered externally in bullet proof render made with God knows what.

I'm may regret this but sticking with what I've got and living with external soils.

So....moving on. I need to source a 3 way thermostatic, shower mixer valve that is at least sympathetic to the Bristan bath and basin tap style. Need rainfall overhead and riser/hand spray.

main_product_QST_BF_C.thumb.jpg.8e535cb27a9155351b3d847e5d6519da.jpg

Not my first choice (that was a Vado Summit, so cool looking it would pain me to post again). SWMBO said niet but I'm working on it and can maybe change later).

So....need a shower valve, concealed ideally with twiddly bits to match the above.

???

Edited by Onoff

SCORE! Client wanted this 200mm fan replaced as it was "noisy". All it was was a piece of errant plastic trapped inside and rattling around. Nobody's interested in repairing nowadays! :(

Not sure on the spec but thinking it'd make an extract off the back of the cistern / pan. Shove it up in the loft proximity det. next to / above the pan. 

20171130_094731.thumb.jpg.72194e458bb3b726f05f871de6e437fd.jpg

A big job for big jobs! :) Overkill?

Edited by Onoff