Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

Expecting to be going the adapter route I tried chamfering the inside of the Geberit pipe with a Stanley then some 80 grit paper. Looks worse in the photo but this won't be too rough will it?

2017-08-26_06-20-23

Holding off on this until I figure the elbow detail.

Have you bought a compression fitting and tried the two together?

Compression are on every shower, bath and wash basin, kitchen sink, and more, across the whole EU, and I've taken out ones that have been in for 30 years with no leaks. ;). It's not the fitting to fear, it's the fitter.

I'd use compression in a heartbeat as they're very, very reliable. A bit of silicone grease and just a bit over hand tight. Better than a medley of plastics which don't like each other, brought together by fittings that don't relate ;)

15 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Have you bought a compression fitting and tried the two together?

Compression are on every shower, bath and wash basin, kitchen sink, and more, across the whole EU, and I've taken out ones that have been in for 30 years with no leaks. ;). It's not the fitting to fear, it's the fitter.

I'd use compression in a heartbeat as they're very, very reliable. A bit of silicone grease and just a bit over hand tight. Better than a medley of plastics which don't like each other, brought together by fittings that don't relate ;)

I'll bow to your wisdom Sir. The McAlpine compression straight coupler that came in the box is different sized each end but both around 50mm. Photos to follow.

I'll get an elbow like it hopefully. 

If I'd have read this earlier I could have finished it..... :ph34r:

McAlpine do a 2" multi fit I see. Can't see me getting one at any of the sheds this weekend though.

Dispensed with the idea of EPS behind the drain, it would have had to taper anyway. Spray glued the wall DPM to the black painted wall. Loaded the black painted wall with Soudal foam and folded the floor DPM up against it. Then put the wall drain against the DPM and temporarily wedged/screwed in place. Will cut flush when dry. Then I'll remove the drain, sort the studwork and drill through the wall etc:

20170826_221455

Didn't come out too bad, bit of a crease and a bit of a hollow by the feel of it along the mid-line but then it was quite thick and deep to do in one go. When "in" I'll poke the foam fun nozzle down thru the set foam and fill a bit more.

20170827_103108

I'm going to follow @Nickfromwales's advice and go with silicon lubed compression fitting. Going to use the straight coupler that came with it but cut back the Geberit black pipe to get it all in. 

20170827_102601

Going to go with the tight 90 and keep telling myself it's  50mm and it'll cope!

20170827_102615

Edited by Onoff

Cut down the Geberit pipe, slipped on the fitting with a bit of silcon grease.

20170827_113735

SHOULD have left it a bit longer then it would have slipped inside the larger (black) pipe shown here by an offcut.

20170827_114048

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

40mm would do it, 50mm is for the sake of being able to fit it. 

50mm guarantees an air break even with the soapiest of suds going down't plug'ol. 

I just had to "borrow" the length of external 50mm waste to the bath (just in temporarily to the drain) to get a bit for going thru the wall to the shower. AMAZED that it is spotless and then some inside. It's had a load of soapy, bath bombs included baths through it. Good call on 50mm way back, have you done this before? ;)

Well drilling that hole was a mission! My Makita SDS threw a hissy fit (clutch?). Off the nephew's to borrow his, don't laugh, Guild brand SDS he got from Homebase for about £20 on clearance. I was actually well impressed with it. (In Argos for £60 still). THEN my SDS drill bit sheared off in HIS drill! Had to strip that down and remove the offending bits! Start again!

Got some patching of the DPM to do. With the Polypipe panels mesh and UFH pipes it was a bit of a pig so the holes a tad steep and a bit oval vertically. A bit of re-drilling and better now:

20170827_200104

Bits solvent welded together:

20170827_200033

The "hollow" where I'd foamed behind the DPM was in fact still wet foam so when I took the wall drain off to do the pipe it proceeded to expand to the point I couldn't get the drain back in position! Peeled off the DPM and now waiting for it to all fully expand before trimming again:

20170827_172714

20170827_195604

Tided up and went and played under the mower with the lad for a bit. Cutting deck off new belt half on. 

Beer o'clock now.

5 hours ago, CC45 said:

Life is going to be dull again when this bathroom is done. ?

For who? :)

Upstairs bathroom, lounge/diner knock through, dormer roof, main roof, stable block......etc. Got another 10 rooms/areas at least that need the "treament" then there's the outside!

I'll be around here for a while I reckon.

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

The "hollow" where I'd foamed behind the DPM was in fact still wet foam so when I took the wall drain off to do the pipe it proceeded to expand to the point I couldn't get the drain back in position! Peeled off the DPM and now waiting for it to all fully expand before trimming again:

Did you spray water water in there before the foam? I've found spraying water first and then foaming slowly allows it to expand fully. Hope I'm not teaching Granny to suck eggs.

58 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Did you spray water water in there before the foam? I've found spraying water first and then foaming slowly allows it to expand fully. Hope I'm not teaching Granny to suck eggs.

No I didn't. Forgot tbh. I literally foamed the wall then "hinged" the cut DPM back up and bolted the Geberit drain in place. I'm sure it would've been OK but I took it off the next day as said. Weird how it remained "liquid" in there though. Maybe taking the drain off allowed air to seep in?

I did have a couple of the wife's plastic plant sprayers in there but she keeps taking them back!

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Why don't you knock one up on the lathe?

:D 

I did attempt to chamfer the inside edge of a bit of 50mm waste on the lathe Saturday!

Just realised why, it was when I was toying with that pvc adapter.

Edited by Onoff

The foam's trimmed back albeit with some nice hollows. I won't put any more foam on until the drain ain't coming out again!

2017-08-28_09-56-11

Got to make good the DPM. This is the one atop the EPS layer. I reckon just a line of CT1 as I put the drain in:

20170828_100915

The other side:

20170828_100942

Tbh as long as I keep the external wall / DPC clear (it was all covered previously by render and a high path) I don't think bridging i.e. horizontally penetrating damp will be an issue and anything "running" should still stay outside the DPM. Fingers crossed!

Edited by Onoff

In & done. I'll cap the end outside and see if it leaks. Taking my chances with the DPM repair:

20170828_131057

20170828_131137

Outside to do too, hope that shower waste isn't too steep:

20170828_130843

Just had a beer to fortify myself, shower tray former now!

Edited by Onoff

21 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Not too steep imo. Is it going into a gulley or a boss on the stack ? 

Gulley/grate I think where the existing one is between the black 50mm in the foreground (bath) and the new shower one about equi-distant beyond the drain. I'm going to redo it anyway and get rid of the old clay. Probably lower it too. The white monstrosity coming round the corner is from the upstairs ensuite.

Trying to avoid bathroom grey water going directly into soil stacks in case the cess pit backs up!