Acronyms, Abbreviations & Glossary Of Common Terms

12 hours ago, WWilts said:

WBP = water and boil proof plywood (had to look it up)

Not a term used these days, which is a shame as it was very clear what it meant (even if some ply that was stamped with it did not comply).

"WBP stands for “Water Boiled Proof”. This is an old British Standard term although people still refer to it. The new terms are EN 636-(1, 2, 3) and EN 314-2 (Class 1, 2, 3),"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Yep -

PHE is not the same as PHE

CPS as in closed panel system, is not the same as CPS, that bound me over to keep the peace for 12 months. But no fine, so pretty cheap in comparison.

Edited by SteamyTea

12 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

hard ask?

Just trying to right a social injustice.

Have to declare it every time I go for a teaching job. Can make up any story as no one actually checks it out, as long as it does not involve children and genitalia, no one cares much.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
15 hours ago, Cirdan said:

what do EWT and IPT mean on building drawings?

In conclusion, electronic warfare test and iron pipe thread. If these don’t make sense, it would help to know the specific subject of the drawing and maybe a snip of the relevant part.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

And a few more 

CCM Climate Change Management

SRM Solar Radiation Management

MCB Marine Cloud Brightening

SSA Sea Salt Aerosol

SAI Stratospheric Aerosol Injection

GHG Green House Gasses

GWP Global Warming Potential

On 30/05/2016 at 12:21, ProDave said:

This thread was originally posted in the other place, and is a team effort to collect together as many acronyms and abbreviations used in the building trade as we could.

If you know of any abbreviations missing, or think there should be a correction to the list, then post them as a reply to this topic and one of the moderators can edit the original list to keep it all up together.

Mine is wtf!

Look folks.. If you are educated then you state what the abbreviation means and bracket that, then use it later in the text.

Using abbreviations is of no use to new folk coming on Buildhub.. they are keen to learn, also there are folk joining BH that have particular skills.. they may have abbreviations that we have not got a clue about!

Imagine you are a someone trying to learn and look back on previous posts..

I try and make my posts simple and easy to understand as best I can.. sometimes I may come over as a bit odd / dafty.. but in my day job.. you'll find me a bit more concise!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

state what the abbreviation means and bracket that, then use it later in the text.

This was stated as a strict requirement for my Professional exams, and to be used thereafter in professional practice. 

Please all, feel free to nag me when this isn't done.   

However, within this Buildhub (BH) zone I think we permit ourselves to avoid writing Building Control Officer (BCO) , Medium Density Polyethylene (MDPE) etc. in full, unless we think the poster is new to the subject and might not  know  what  BCO or MDPE stand for.