Extension- Last Stuff.

@PeterW

Sorry I'm not following your steps for the 2nd layer. I'm using the orange stuff for this (because its half filling the loft as it is, very hard to manoevre it away just to do the 1st layer, let alone pull it all out > replace with bought 200mm stuff > then put it all back up). Is full width 600mm?

I'm not following 'measure from hatch to builders sh*te..' nor the following 'now roll it up..' sentences. Total blank, trying hard as i can to think what you mean- apologies.

I thought the 2nd layer is to go in the same orientation as the 1st, but just over the joists. So then I'll have like a bumpy up, down, up, down effect.. which the 3rd layer rolls, running perp, have to snake their way over. Or do you mean just totally fill the whole area with the 2nd layer, in same orientation as 1st-?

Re- reading all info on how to do this, Peter Stark says put 2nd layer perp to the 1st.

So when its suggested put x "over joists"  i thought this meant over the top all along each joist ( so not perp, but the same way as the joist, bc the joist is the insulative weak point). But only Peter S's reply specifies which way this is relative to 1st joist, and is not the way I thought.

If 2 nd layer goes perp to the 1 st, then i can see its possible to get some going up the wall. So its this 'over joists' i need to clarify.

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

Re- reading all info on how to do this, Peter Stark says put 2nd layer perp to the 1st.

So when its suggested put x "over joists"  i thought this meant over the top all along each joist ( so not perp, but the same way as the joist, bc the joist is the insulative weak point). But only Peter S's reply specifies which way this is relative to 1st joist, and is not the way I thought.

If 2 nd layer goes perp to the 1 st, then i can see its possible to get some going up the wall. So its this 'over joists' i need to clarify.

Each layer should be in the opposite direction to the previous layer to minimise gaps and hence heat loss.

3 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Each layer should be in the opposite direction to the previous layer to minimise gaps and hence heat

Right yes that seems the consensus. I got that ' over the joists' totally wrong then.

49 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You'll be so happy when the furry little f***ers chew your cables. They're just tree rats. 

Yes, but they visit rather than live with me like my mice. No droppings, no goings to- fro from main house loft to this. Hence i was really happy to find acorn bits. I thought it sounded too big for a mouse!

So another job to patch up eaves gaps.. why they're even built big enough for a rat size mammal to enter is beyond me. It jus5 shouldnt be.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Or plastic pipes.

ProDave should be pushing this 1st layer between joists right up to/ meeting the roof white membrane? I think the word might be the skielings/ anyway the least accessible part of each joist row, where the roof is nearest, & where there seems to be a 200mm gap, I think area ontop of the walls is this bit?

20 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Yes, but they visit rather than live with me like my mice. No droppings, no goings to- fro from main house loft to this. Hence i was really happy to find acorn bits. I thought it sounded too big for a mouse!

So another job to patch up eaves gaps.. why they're even built big enough for a rat size mammal to enter is beyond me. It jus5 shouldnt be.

Do you really think if they're eating up there they're not sh!ttin somewhere as well?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Do you really think if they're eating up there they're not sh!ttin somewhere as well?

Yes & no. Yes I think they're not sh*tting up there, but no I don't think they won't be sh*tting somewhere else.

They dart in, bury their nut, & f-off. Or come in, unbury their nut & munch it thenceforth, & f-off forthwith.

3 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

how did the builder insulate the sloped ceilings?

Hi dpm. There's a slope on only one side, here he was told to put in 50mm rigid. I can see he's done that.. but is not properly fixd in, loose/ awful old offcut scraps, & likely gaps/ but its too inaccessible for me to redo it.

I can close the void above it though approx 200mm, with orange stuff, but it means closing the gap up to the white roof membrane. Tbh its all on hold until I know what to do about these 'skieling' areas: both sides they're 200mm voids, this slope side just going down an extra 2ft .

3 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Tbh its all on hold until I know what to do about these 'skieling' areas: both sides they're 200mm voids, this slope side just going down an extra 2ft .

stuff a lot of insulation down them as 50mm is nowhere near the regs. 

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

stuff a lot of insulation down them as 50mm is nowhere near the regs. 

What is the regs, & why is just a bit of ceioling that slopes, as opposed to it just being flat, mean anything different needed here anyway?

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

Yes & no. Yes I think they're not sh*tting up there, but no I don't think they won't be sh*tting somewhere else.

They dart in, bury their nut, & f-off. Or come in, unbury their nut & munch it thenceforth, & f-off forthwith.

Whatever. Get yourself an airgun and make yourself a custom walnut stock.

For the purist it's .20 for ?️ (grey) & .25 for tunnel bunnies ? 

50 minutes ago, A_L said:

I cannot see anything there, there's not even a '100mm' figure, and I dont see any notes.. I see a blue area, but again nothing relating to insulation figures. Thanks, but its like a bible of info to me/ its for building control, not really customers afaict.

If anyone knows what the rigid insulation is meant to be here, sloped ceiling bit? (& why it should be any different to a flat area). I do find another 50mm hidden under/ so I have 100mm here in fact.

thanks tho- zoot schmoot.

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Whatever. Get yourself an airgun and make yourself a custom walnut stock.

For the purist it's .20 for ?️ (grey) & .25 for tunnel bunnies ? 

Not on my mellon patch you don't. Nice creatures. I did find a probable p*ss patch mind you (unless it was me/ I am doing very occasional 'expulsions' now Im middle aged esp whilst crouching). Just gotta block up his access point.

• Haha 1

@PeterW Ive used up all of builders fluff.. & I'm exactly 1/4 of the loft area of it short (if two layers of this is acceptable for B.Regs that is). That p*sses me off, but doesn't surprise me, goes with the other 'string him along he'll never know' xyz. If Id asked him to put a hatch in, as he asked, he'd have had to put in 270mm min as BCO would go up & look. As he'll do now. And Im 70mm short (I think) after this 2nd layer done.

So I need another 8sqm of this orange to finish this 2nd layer, then a last layer. But I just dont see how its possible to put another layer on even 70mm. If I put a board on, it'll put too much pressure on the pb with these two layers surely.. so I just don't see how its feasable to cover anywhere other than at reach from the hatch. The only way is crawl along centre 100mm wide brace- but its so cramped at 4' at pitch, one foot wrong & disaster.