Extension- Last Stuff.

@Declan52

Declan re. my plant pots.. does the downlights' black 'junction box' fag pkt size whatnot have to go inside too? would this be a transformer, and not a junction box maybe? (in which case might this be the thing most likely to get hot.. or is it just the bulb/ lamp really the 'concern' here).

14 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@Declan52

Declan re. my plant pots.. does the downlights' black 'junction box' fag pkt size whatnot have to go inside too? would this be a transformer, and not a junction box maybe? (in which case might this be the thing most likely to get hot.. or is it just the bulb/ lamp really the 'concern' here).

How close is it to the lamp. If you have room and can get the pot in-between the transformer and the lamp great if not it won't really make any difference. Will just make it harder to replace if it fails.

Would this be ok to go as my 2nd layer, @joe90 or @Onoff ?

It is used at the joist level for cold roof applications

(Looks same as other orange "Superglass" one, but @ 5.3m as opposed to 4.8m.. for £same.. I can complete my 2nd layer -just- with it).

Its the spiel on it saying " It is used at the joist level for cold roof applications " & nothing more, not 'over joists too' like other one does.

Same-same yes?

1 minute ago, Declan52 said:

How close is it to the lamp. If you have room and can get the pot in-between the transformer and the lamp great if not it won't really make any difference. Will just make it harder to replace if it fails.

So idea is it ideally goes just over lamp.... not transformer in too?

Ive enough lead so xfmr can sit next to joist, but under fluff.

@PeterW or anyone..

i'm having trouble actually measuring the fluff. It seems to be 100mm between joists, but 130mm the layer ontop.

is the stuff measured @ 100mm squashed in the pack, so it expands -more- when unrolled to say 130mm?

I guess i just go 100mm of 3rd layer whichever it may be, in  order to get to the 300mm figure.. which I think is min for B.regs?

In which case I've been done over by about £150 min by builder, and it never had a chance of being up to min b.regs requirement at either 200mm, or 230mm as it seems to total, by my measurements.

The measurement is the expanded material, not when its under compression.  It typically comes in 100mm/150mm/200mm sizes, but there may be other sizes available.  It doesn't really matter exactly what it is from a practical point of view; you'll still really need to put another 200mm in.

7 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

The measurement is the expanded material, not when its under compression.  It typically comes in 100mm/150mm/200mm sizes, but there may be other sizes available.  It doesn't really matter exactly what it is from a practical point of view; you'll still really need to put another 200mm in.

No understood, I just wanted to match the 2nd layer Ive done (only got me half loft area done you see) to buy same for remainder. Then consider my 3rd layer.

So as it measures 130mm expanded.. what do you think it likely is then? 100mm just me manhandling it plumping it up?

Just now, Roundtuit said:

Probably 100mm.  Assuming your builder sourced it from a local merchants, you could always have phone round and see what they stock.

I know he likely sourced it from jewsons, and they have only 100mm and 200mm, so my innitial assumption was 100mm. Neither other sheds tp or huw's have the oldskool orange you see. I was wondering if it could be 200mm compressed a bit/ but seems unlikely after your info.

thanks. Yes I must consider then another 200mm.. crikey I just dont know how its possible with the space I dont have (& the cables which will then be mostly, or at least 50% within the fluff: is that accetpable to the BCO?)

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Neither the other DIY stores, Travis Perkins or Hewdens...

TP or Huw's Gray here.

38 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Where are you getting £250 from ..??!! An 8sqm roll is £20, you are 2-3 rolls max missing. 

Dont think I said £250 Peter. Are you in a road rage traffic jam?

I wish I could find £20 rolls here, but £50 is what I see for 10sqM of orange fluff (3x 50 = £150.. I think maybe that's the fig you are referring to).

I was assuming the orange fiberglass is the cheap stuff.. but I've yet to price things up (maybe its not cheapest? good if so).

8 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I wish I could find £20 rolls here, but £50 is what I see for 10sqM of orange fluff (3x 50 = £150.. I think maybe that's the fig you are referring to).

@zoothorn sorry thought that said £250... £150 is still stupid prices though ..!! 

£50 a roll is a joke - so here you go, 3 rolls for £57.45 delivered by Wickes to the middle of Happy Valley Taffyland...

F6468EE1-C8F9-439F-A691-3293276E84DE.thumb.jpeg.cc7b101cd7fdc14294ad33ad84bf7cc3.jpeg

Wickes link is here ...

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-100mm-Space-Bottom-Layer-Loft-Roll-Insulation---8-3m2/p/166877

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

No understood, I just wanted to match the 2nd layer Ive done (only got me half loft area done you see) to buy same for remainder. Then consider my 3rd layer.

So as it measures 130mm expanded.. what do you think it likely is then? 100mm just me manhandling it plumping it up?

Doesn't need to be the same - loft insulation is loft insulation. Just buy what you can get in 100mm ( or 200mm but remember the thicker it is the less coverage area in the roll) and it doesn’t have to match. See the Wickes links above. 

16 hours ago, PeterW said:

Doesn't need to be the same - loft insulation is loft insulation. Just buy what you can get in 100mm ( or 200mm but remember the thicker it is the less coverage area in the roll) and it doesn’t have to match. See the Wickes links above. 

Hi PeterW- hey thats bloomin fab. I had no idea.. tho wickes wouldn't deliver paint to me out here/ but will try, & similar, from other places if not poss. tbh I never thought of having it delivered at all due to size. guess there's no major rush/ can crack on with my door in meantime.

@Onoff squirrel p*ssing me off now. I like the furry sods hoppin over my lawn even digging up nuts i dont mind, but not in loft.. they're LOUD & pee/poop make quite a patch vs mice. how the feck to block them tho: Im top of my ladder getting to gutter, & gap is behind them along eaves side, but then the pitch front side going up higher/ no idea how, until balcony made & can get up here.

@PeterW very useful link: actually I couldnt do wickes/ no delivery slots.. but homebase comes up trumps again: Knauf Earthwool Loft Roll 44- 100mm @ £17 x 3, £12 delivery (in 10 days tho).. & were doing a '4 for 3' on this.. so 1 spare can shove some above my freezing bathroom, tho its already got 400mm up there.

So, total will be 300mm. Tbh I just couldn't cope putting 200mm more up, room to work etc. At least it'll be better seated, gone up the wall & gable end halfway up. Not optimal but gets me to B.Regs (I think @ 300mm), and gaps almost all minimised. £90 job inc hatch = really excellent.

Dunno how the hatch's 50mm polystyrene can be B.Regs passable, if 300mm min needed in rest of the loft.. but fatso said in his youtube clip it "passes B.Regs".. so I just hope to goodness this includes new builds not yet signed off, not just additions to existing buildings already signed off. But in theory I guess I can 'glue' more PIR or fluff onto it.

Great help- thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

how the feck to block them

So your neighbours sh!t on your lawn and you're a bit handy with woodwork. Payback time and problem solved all in one. Try and aim for their picture window:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Love it, come on @zoothorn, get busy.

Can't for 10 days until delivered joe, so a cold on me todd xmas for me. But starting making door monday- alot of cold surely coming in from adjacent freezing bedroom, even with blanket blocking some.

Also think a dollop's coming in reveals, & window & doors: builder leaving me room for only 1cm of PIR @ all 3 window reveals: another thing not happy about. I did forget to put PIR under the sill too, & had room to, so I could add on 25mm (+ a new w'sill on). But Im clutching at straws.