PIR quality

Russell griffiths

Evening all, I have had a load of 70mm pir sheets delivered, and I’m not happy ???

all the long edges seem to have shrunk back, leaving a reasonable depression in the pir material. 

As im going to want to butt these tightly together and then tape the joins im not thrilled that there will be a 10-12mm gap when you put two sheets together. Now I have thought of a couple of methods to overcome this problem, but why the bloody hell should I. 

Thought i would see if anybody else had had any rough stuff before I unleash the wife on the company I bought it from. 

Just as a side thought, the 50mm stuff is perfect. 

23 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Evening all, I have had a load of 70mm pir sheets delivered, and I’m not happy ???

all the long edges seem to have shrunk back, leaving a reasonable depression in the pir material. 

As im going to want to butt these tightly together and then tape the joins im not thrilled that there will be a 10-12mm gap when you put two sheets together. Now I have thought of a couple of methods to overcome this problem, but why the bloody hell should I. 

Thought i would see if anybody else had had any rough stuff before I unleash the wife on the company I bought it from. 

Just as a side thought, the 50mm stuff is perfect. 

seconds?

not saying you bought seconds --but maybe you been given them 

Edited by scottishjohn

It could be older stock (70mm is an odd thickness) and that’s shrinkage as the foam ages. 

If it’s for a floor then I would ask the supplier to give a discount and spend the money on some low expansion foam and a decent gun, and you will be fine. 

27 minutes ago, PeterW said:

It could be older stock (70mm is an odd thickness) and that’s shrinkage as the foam ages. 

If it’s for a floor then I would ask the supplier to give a discount and spend the money on some low expansion foam and a decent gun, and you will be fine. 

No it’s going in the ceiling, under the rafters all taped to provide vcl as well as insulation. 

Thanks all I will start moaning and find out what they want to do, I’m prepared to run a saw down the edges to re square it up, but I will want some form of recompense for my time. 

From what I've read elsewhere PIR tends to shrink anyway given enough time so it might actually be better for long-term lack of thermal bypass to have stuff like this if it's already done all the shrinking it's likely to do. This is a major reason I plan to have a separate airtightness layer rather than taping the PIR foil.

I have just been out To the shed and checked a whole bunch of PIR from 2-8+ years of age. My conclusion is that shrinkage is mostly batch specific as a lot of my old PIR (4-8 years)  is still within the mm of the right size yet a whole bunch of 50mm I got 3 years ago has shrunk to 45mm at the edges !!!! Boo hoo said piggy. I would personally get it sent back if it’s going to cause you grief in fitting but if not assume it’s now stable and hopefully finished it’s significant shrink !!!! 

3 minutes ago, Cpd said:

I have just been out To the shed and checked a whole bunch of PIR from 2-8+ years of age. My conclusion is that shrinkage is mostly batch specific as a lot of my old PIR (4-8 years)  is still within the mm of the right size yet a whole bunch of 50mm I got 3 years ago has shrunk to 45mm at the edges !!!! Boo hoo said piggy. I would personally get it sent back if it’s going to cause you grief in fitting but if not assume it’s now stable and hopefully finished it’s significant shrink !!!! 

maybe if people could name the makes that have shrunk --could it be a price related quality problem 

17 hours ago, PeterW said:

Does this shrinkage characteristic rule out using PIR as underfloor insulation? I am imagining 50mm of flow screed sitting unsupported over shrinkage pockets and eventually giving way.

17 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I have not had issues with Kingspan or Celotex.  I have found some other makes have shrunk / warped but can't remember the brands and I don't want to accuse an innocent.

It was 50mm Celotex I had issue with being too thick.

When one of my local BM we’re clearing up they gave me 4 sheets of 50mm PIR insulation, it had been out in the open for a few years and the foil was damaged so they wanted rid of it. I took it home and left it in the shed for 6 months to see if it misshaped or anything dramatic but it stayed the same, i only have a small bit left (5 years old in shed...) but just checked the edge and it’s still bang on 50mm and still super straight / no bending like what i get with off cuts of calotex. If you someone can identify it it from what is left of the manufacturer label it might be worth finding out a bit more about it. 

1CF29B98-2489-4D27-B89B-C0C02A63CC52.jpeg

18 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

@Declan52 they sell and deliver direct then?

They did when I got mine about 5 years ago. I ordered a lot, all mine for my floor and for the roof in my room in the room build. It was a full 40ft lorry. I got the number from a sales rep at the self build show and ordered it the following week.