Revolutionary tools

H F

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Fein Multimaster ... 

I’m going to have to google that. I have no idea what that is.

Googled it. This is a game changer too. Agreed. I have in iWorx which isn’t as a good a brand, but I’ve only used mine a dozen times or so. Not very skilled at it yet.

Edited by Home Farm

A very good question for someone learning in many directions.

Trying to think of things that you may not have yet, I think I would say a Post Rammer and Turnbuckles for wire tensioning.

And Post Savers.

Edited by Ferdinand

16 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

There's a lot to be said for an angle grinder ?

Cordless angle grinder, plunge saw. I suppose it depends on your level of involvement in the build as to what tools you have!!

I love my 6" pry bar, got me out of a few problems!

I love my tools but my trade was a stone mason before this building lark......  in the last six years these tools have revolutionised my ability’s as a serious DIY home builder. 

Sliding Compound miter saw 

Table saw

impact driver

jigsaw

multi tool 

Foam gun ! 

Not quite related but as I undertake all my on island car mechanics I have found that my cordless impact wrench has been a life saver so many times when trying to remove rusted seized bolts / nuts on various 4x4 cars. 

OK, you foam-gun-fanatics: how many guns have you ruined over your build?

Anyone managed to rescue one that was blocked - ever - so - slightly - iddy - bitty - blocked ? Hmmm?

I'm working hard on keeping my heart-rate down cleaning my third feckkkking blocked gun, step by gritted-teeth step. Sodding thing.

46 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

OK, you foam-gun-fanatics: how many guns have you ruined over your build?

Well I have two guns and one is 5 years old and the other is 3 years old, I do not look after them..... they get used and abused, I never clean them unless shit hits the fan, ie I drop it and the bloody can gets separated from the gun....... at which point it’s all hands on deck to remove the plastic that’s left in the gun and spray with cleaner before putting a new can on it. I very rarely remember to shut it down / screw it shut..... I never flush it out with cleaner unless there has been a disaster. As I have two guns on the go at all times I often don’t use one of them and it will sit for weeks / months with foam in it and still works ! So my moral is don’t faff about if it’s not broken, have  a spare gun just in case... When the ends get really dirty with a build up of foam I just cut it away with a sharp knife, if foam is leaking out the end I i bash it on a rock ! Always seems to work. 50 + cans....... lost count..... probable 100 but don’t want to talk about it. 

C44C3570-2677-4F6C-833A-536F7FE4CE40.jpeg

48F6142D-1553-469C-BE85-B2D3BA66418F.jpeg

• Like 1

I dont think I have any one particular tool that's revolutionized my DIY but I have a few tools that been extremely good purchases:-

Laser 

Cordless Drill

Exactly as CPD says with foam gun, never used gun cleaner either.

Edited by Alexphd1

12 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Well I have two guns and one is 5 years old and the other is 3 years old, I do not look after them..... they get used and abused, I never clean them unless shit hits the fan, ie I drop it and the bloody can gets separated from the gun....... at which point it’s all hands on deck to remove the plastic that’s left in the gun and spray with cleaner before putting a new can on it. I very rarely remember to shut it down / screw it shut..... I never flush it out with cleaner unless there has been a disaster. As I have two guns on the go at all times I often don’t use one of them and it will sit for weeks / months with foam in it and still works ! So my moral is don’t faff about if it’s not broken, have  a spare gun just in case... When the ends get really dirty with a build up of foam I just cut it away with a sharp knife, if foam is leaking out the end I i bash it on a rock ! Always seems to work. 50 + cans....... lost count..... probable 100 but don’t want to talk about it. 

I cleaned mine when it just refused to work after a long period of non use. Was easy enough to strip apart and I was able to winkle out a blob of hard foam that had formed inside the trigger mechanism. Bit of isopropyl alcohol helped too.

For house renovations - the BEST floorboard lifter by far, tons of leverage. Two heads better than one etc etc. Can sit the rounded bit on the joist, one head either side of where its nailed and they come up so easy. 

63005.thumb.jpg.8cbf3529df72d4adf99f5286c5c98eaa.jpg

Simple solution for simple folk :)

21 minutes ago, MrMagic said:

For house renovations - the BEST floorboard lifter by far, tons of leverage. Two heads better than one etc etc. Can sit the rounded bit on the joist, one head either side of where its nailed and they come up so easy. 

63005.thumb.jpg.8cbf3529df72d4adf99f5286c5c98eaa.jpg

Simple solution for simple folk :)

Can't beat homemade!

IMG_20180821_150055295.thumb.jpg.49b366d78f8a7df7eb93b24599b0afda

Does it work?

Hell yes!

• Like 1