Jump to content

ToughButterCup

Members
  • Posts

    11830
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    101

Everything posted by ToughButterCup

  1. The other thing that doesn't help is the way one board in 40 has a significant bend in the last 300 mm. I've learned to inspect each board carefully now: I run a sanding pad along each board to get rid of the splinters on the edges, otherwise my hand starts to look like a hedgehog. Twists in a board aren't a problem: but I really didn't expect short curves to exist at the end of otherwise straight boards.
  2. God, Dave. I'd be mighty mighty piddled off ... Just like Jezza used to say, on every build there's always one Oh-f-f-s
  3. Put it on a plinth (concrete or very heavy ply ) so that you can; drain the pump completely and easily load and unload the damn thing without too much bending read the display more easily pull the machine out to get access to perished / kinked supply and waste lines shove the washing basket in the gap under the machine while its washing if its tucked away behind a pair of doors, use hinges that open wide (180 degrees?)
  4. Yes. Nothing. Yes. Use the stress you feel to plan every last detail of your house. If you are anything like most of us here ( well, there's a couple of exceptions to that rule) you're going to make annoyingly expensive changes in design - now's the time to reduce that cost by planning.
  5. Looking through the Internet for window restraints boggles the mind: there are so many available. The window concerned is at floor level, and so particularly prone to little fingers practising defenstration skills. Does anyone have a recommendation?
  6. I'm wincing. How well do you get on with the neighbour?
  7. I bought Kwik Stage, and am now at the point of re-selling some of it at about 90% of what I paid for it. On a DIY max build, the buisiness case for it is compelling. The only question is how much to retain. Steep learning curve at first ... I now mix it with normal scaff and clips to do little tweeks that make the jobs a bit easier (arthritic) and safer still.
  8. I don't need mine any more. Yours for the postage ....?
  9. ? ... how about on the ceiling then......?
  10. This is just a thought: instead of glass, how about a mirror? A big one. Mounted on battens. In a previous life I cleaned windows to pay my way round university. A really posh (super-posh) customer had me clean her bathroom mirror each time I came round: floor to ceiling (2.5 ish high) at least 3 meters long. Took me half an hour to clean properly (shoes off stand in the bath job). Hell it looked good. Doubled the size of the room. And NO, @pocster, I didn't crack it......?
  11. Does anyone kow of a company that does a wide range of architectural fixings, please? I need to attach our juliet balcony to the house wall somehow. And I have spent half a day on Tinternet getting nowhere.....
  12. My first thought was .... water. OSB3 therefore, or similar. Soffit board is commonly much thinner than 18mm, I understand
  13. Hello. You are most welcome. Ahhhhhh, the imagineering phase of a build. Something to wallow in, enjoy, chat through with mates - mull over in a traffic jam or waiting for train. Brilliant time. I look forward to the first post you write about the topographical survey and the geophysical survey. (£2500 for us : 8 cores and lab analysis)
  14. Absolutely certain that I'd cut this straight ..... Sometimes, when working on your own, you really can't see how knackered you are .
  15. Hey! Welcome! .... sounds like a wheeze.... There are a few of us round here : pictures ? - we're all damnably nosey ?
  16. No, because a carefully considered answer depends ( at least in part) on technical details we don't have, and the micopolitics of your area which we cannot know. All we can do is refer to generalities and our own experiences: the argument in favour of appointing a local planning consultant.
  17. Exactly that has happened 3 houses away from us. It took about half the time you suggest from a planning perspective. That shocked me. Our planners are overworked I am told. In terms of the building work, I really don't think -currently- it's possible to make a sensible guess at how long that will take. Too much depends on local factors.
  18. Lets start with a list of candidates whose houses should have their very own private supply of ... scentless explosive gas ... I can think of quite a few at the moment.....
  19. Just for the sake of completeness, our diverter needed a set of tweeklets to cope with the SA's characteristics: they are well known and simple to set up. EDDI's phone support is excellent.
  20. No anemic folk round your way then eh?
  21. @Triassic, the issue for us is space. The SA fits neatly in a little nook next to our bathroom. So, yes is the answer.
  22. Might it be something else? I ask because I don't know what dissolved iron in water tastes like - and bet most of us don't. And if your assumption is wrong then ....
  23. It is not Permitted Development - as explained here . Park that thought for a minute. It is very common, locally anway, for folk to make minor alterations like yours and wait to see if anyone shouts about it. And when they do, get retrospective permission. There is a risk that you will be told to reinstate the roof without the skylight. Whats your risk appetite?
  24. Yes, and no. No, because - at the ideal burning temperature - you have put dry (<15%) wood on the fire , and yes if the wood is ..... How you deal with the condensate is another matter.
  25. Not drunk enough ... Time to get really properly bladdered then. Cheaper in the end.
×
×
  • Create New...