-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
Woops there goes another one..... ! Nearly
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Tools & Equipment
Base 8? Yes @markc. Ya wanna see the grandchildren's reactions. There's much fun to be had moving from noticing that 2 (yes 2 missing grandma!), to disbelief, on to verification, confident comparison ( which is where they are now). Octal numbers next, I think: he's already enjoying programing his FloorBot. It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good innit? -
Woops there goes another one..... ! Nearly
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Tools & Equipment
Huuuuuh, in my case it's both little fingers. I was shocked at how much they actually do - like keeping screws in your hand, stopping coins falling out , providing the proper gripping point for racket sports. The operation scar is excellent for keeping a pool of liquid soap in place though. ? But part of a finger: thats almost a tease isn't it? You've got a finger, enough to hope for and expect performance, and in the way of things, you forget about the loss - but theres just not quite enough left to ...... To me, that feels worse.... Thats annoying. -
Small chapel conversion in the Lake District
ToughButterCup replied to LakesDylan's topic in Introduce Yourself
Yerrrr, well guvvner, warabout the font as the laundry ven? And the puplpit for wen SWMBO gets on'er eyeorse.... 'an the crypt for da kids wen they playup: never mind naughty corner: naughtycrypt - I like it. -
Small chapel conversion in the Lake District
ToughButterCup replied to LakesDylan's topic in Introduce Yourself
Welcome. Looks like a very interesting project. Look forward to seeing and reading about your progress. If you are ever going to be round Junction 33 (Lancaster South) , PM me and drop in for a coffee. Ian -
To most of you, losing a finger would be a bit of a pain, but if, like me, you've already lost two, then an additional lost digit might be seen as careless. Losing one finger almost always (according to my surgeon) means losing more than one tenth of your grip. That means I've already lost more than a fifth of my grip. An additional loss of an eighth of what's left would be really bad news. Angle grinders should be renamed finger removers . Its the variety in the way they remove fingers that gets me. Look at this. Exhibit1: Innocent little tool bag that I sling on my shoulder every morning as I whistle my way to work. Carole King helps.. '... You got to get up every morning with a smile on your face and show the world (except for plumbers) all the love in your heart then people gonna treat you better, you're gonna find - yes you will - that you're beautiful as you feel ...' Spot the little FingerMincer? Yes, its the mini angle grinder tucked into the corner of the tool bag. Bastard little thing. Reaching absent-mindedly in the bag for a WhatChaMaCall it, I nudge summat (no idea what) and that movement switches the grinder ON. I could not have removed my hand from the tool bag faster from a raging fire. So fast in fact that my arm hits the scaffolding and I now have a bruise that could have been inflicted by an angry Mike Tyson. Wanna a photo? Naaah, too much ugly detail Now the drill is: job done, battery out, pop the grinder in the bag. Brilliant grinder. Just the right size for someone with only four digits on each hand. Vorsprung Durch Fingerentfernung. (finger amputation)
-
can planning authority issue a split decision?
ToughButterCup replied to MYL's topic in Planning Permission
? -
can planning authority issue a split decision?
ToughButterCup replied to MYL's topic in Planning Permission
We are not experts. Nosey, yes. Self righteous , yes. Sound like we know what we are talking about , sometimes: but @SteamyTea is always right - always. Please do your Due Diligence. A Self Builder is a Domestic Client (CDM 2015) To answer your question drekly: Yes. Split Decisions are commonplace. -
Yes it was for us. No electric car yet, but soon, I hope. 7Kw should be alright for us. I'd like to hook it up to our EDDI Diverter too, but with only 4Kw Peak on the roof and a 14Kw SunAmp, there won't be much spare to divert to the car charger. Still, every spare little photon helps.
-
Why did the IT Department release access to the Operational (live) url to the Planning Team ? A good few years ago, in developing a web resource for an NHS Drug Abuse and Pain Management Team in Manchester, I made exactly that mistake - luckily noticed the mistake 15 minutes after I'd made it, just before going to bed at 3:00 am. I had been asked to 'do them a favour' and stupidly I agreed to work long long after I should have refused to do so. 'Just -in-Time' development in IT has a lot to answer for.
-
The problem you have is not specific to plumbing or heating. The issue is generic. In this sector, its hard to compare like with like. To the conversation add the sound of axes being ground, personal preference, petty fogging nit picking, and you have the most common self-build problem: lack of sleep due to an overloaded brain. Picked your windows yet? If you have, you'll know what I mean. If not, prepare for another round of wailing and gnashing of teeth. Sleep well. Ian
-
Fear of heights, reasonable or not..
ToughButterCup replied to puntloos's topic in New House & Self Build Design
Lovely flight of stairs. I would not be able to resist sliding down the bannister @rse first: those corners look just right for a cheap thrill. Sad , I know. -
We had our PHPP calcs done, and found we needed to take account of the solar gain. So this is what we did - picture taken from the kitchen where I am typing this post... Yes, its a large overhang - its called a Winter Garden - fancy name for overhang. Kevin WhatsHisFace would call it a Breeze Corridor. Anyway, whatever the name, without it, we'd cook. You are looking through six sheets of glass on the left hand side (one slider moved to the left handside), and no glass to the right of the vertical : that's 2 and a bit meters of open window - 27 outside and 22 inside out of the wind.
-
It has been known for the arrangement to split the supply to be made elsewhere.
-
Is the NSBRC worth a visit
ToughButterCup replied to Chanmenie's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Yes, I went twice; took loads of photos which were useful as a starting point for my own thinking. Please don't forget to do your Due Diligence if you are contemplating buying any of the services or products on offer there. The NSBRC appears to me to confer a mantle of respectability which, in the case of some companies, is absent. -
First Aider on site - required?
ToughButterCup replied to Jac's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Good luck @Jac. -
Fear of heights, reasonable or not..
ToughButterCup replied to puntloos's topic in New House & Self Build Design
I used to live in a set of flats with a similar stairwell, slightly more generous proportions. One poor visitor had to face the outside wall, put her hands against it and 'slide' up the stairs, eyes tight shut, cheek against the wall. The 'well' had a lift she would use in preference, but needed to crawl across the walkway to my front door. -
First Aider on site - required?
ToughButterCup replied to Jac's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
I've forgotten who it was - a new member - made a comment recently along the lines of - in the context of his significant high-level experience of large building project management , that the self build sector is the most disfunctional he had ever experienced. And I tend to agree. I think the issue is the way that many tradespeople - not all by far - think that self builders (in their capacity as Domestic Clients CDM2015) are fair game. Their status as the inexpert part of the team make them an easy target: despite our status as the paymaster. Dont expect it to be treated with any respect for the next person who needs to use it. The only time I ever snarled at the whole team of people who were working for us was when someone left the loo in sh1t order. The pan was missed, nowt cleaned up - all cleaning stuff necessary to hand, ready to use: gloves , hot water, the lot. They were all banned from that day on. Not a word was said. In retrospect, I now wish I'd done a lot more snarling. Get a copy of the NHBC Standards, (or similar) download and print them out. That'll give you a framework to help you judge what is being offered as ' workmanlike ' . Snarl the instant you smell unworkmanlike nonsense. Good luck, Ian -
First Aider on site - required?
ToughButterCup replied to Jac's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
In conjunction with a paper diary, thats the perfect solution. Easy to provide evidence of (unfortunately for me) criminal damage. Knocked an £8000 invoice right on the head. -
First Aider on site - required?
ToughButterCup replied to Jac's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
I bet that poor bit is really sore about being trapped in your groin. Photo please (Not often I piss Mods off now is it?) -
I am assuming you want a metal reveal.... if so, I'm almost sure you'll need to have it made for you. I really love your idea, and have made much more discrete versions of the same thing out of our over-ordered cladding
-
First Aider on site - required?
ToughButterCup replied to Jac's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
No, it isn't. But I decided to re-qualify as one. -
Not enough glue in 22mm Egger Chipboard installation?
ToughButterCup replied to Adsibob's topic in Floor Structures
I can't read script that small now ... add a dose of pollen to the air ... smudge my glasses a bit ... crack a joke, make me cry with laughter ... functionally blind. ? -
Can we all come?
