Mulberry View

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

24 Neutral

About Mulberry View

  • Rank
    Regular Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Is that a possibility?! I hadn't realised it could be that big. We'll have the rubble from the double garage, along with the concrete base, but also potentially whatever is beneath that.
  2. Great. Thanks! In all honesty, I don't really know how it works at all, so cannot say about the overflow. All I know is that if I pull the lid off the main chamber, the level is pretty high (about a foot from being 'full'). One of the other chambers is the feed in and that looks fine. I have no real idea what's going on in the third.
  3. The house we're currently living in was built in the 1950's property and is served by a Septic Tank, I'm certain it's the one that was installed when the property was built. It looks to be brick built as far as I can see, though can't be certain what's going on underground. I'm no expert, but it's condition worries me. It was sited in an area that is now a highly mature garden border which has a number of conifers and a huge Laurel close-by, but there's a beautiful 70ft Swamp Cypress growing almost literally right on top of it. Of the 3 inspection covers, 2 are on one side of the trunk and 1 on the other, no more than 4-6-feet from the trunk! Perhaps the position is why the tree has done so well! Anyway, I'd like to look to decommission the Septic Tank as I've had the opportunity to connect to the mains. As I understand it, the normal process would be to get it pumped out, then break the bottom up to make it no longer water-tight. I don't think we can risk caving the sides in, so what could we fill it with and might it have an impact on the tree? Rubble is an obvious choice and since we have to take down a garage to make way for our build, could this be the best option?
  4. That stonework is lovely, the year plaque is a nice touch too. We'd love some sort of stonework, either inside or outside.
  5. Come on! Now THAT is a view! I'd love that, but I'm a Southern softie, so couldn't deal with the cold! You seen the Velux Cabrio window?
  6. That looks unusual. Would be good to see how that fits into the exterior? How will it be glazed? A fixed pane?
  7. That view!! Absolutely sensational. Our plot doesn't really have the prospect of a distant view like that, but we're lucky to be very secluded and with mature plants/trees all around us. Part of our challenge is to design something to make use of some of the unusual trees we have, particularly our ancient Mulberry. When we split the plot, we're hoping we can encourage a buyer for the original bungalow to honour the gardens, which are too good to lose.
  8. I love that. You're right, it does give a 'cottage' feel for sure. Did you see the one they did on 'Ugly House to Lovely House' recently where they angled it the other way? The plasterer didn't get it at all, but it carried across from other features in the design.
  9. ...single favourite design feature. Whether you're only at design stage, or fully built, what is your favourite feature? Come on, let's see what you're proud of!
  10. ...and this highlights the importance of a party wall agreement!!
  11. OK, that's fine. The solicitor I spoke with had nothing to gain, but emphasised it very strongly. I think it was more from a tax-efficiency standpoint. I do have a small Ltd company already (unrelated to this), an accountant for that and also a daughter who works in finance, so I guess we'll be fine.
  12. A solicitor I spoke with a few weeks ago advised that we onboard an accountant for our self-build project as a priority. Is this accurate? I think I've also read about some people creating a Ltd company for it too?
  13. Now there's some great advice, that I'll definitely be exploring.
  14. Show us then!!! 😃 I love seeing what others have done.
  15. I completely understand what you're saying. It's just trying to gauge what others that have done it think we might achieve with the description I gave above. I'm trying to estimate within a wide parameter, perhaps really the question I'm looking to answer is if it's a risk that we might exceed £2000/m2, or if there's a chance to build for around £1500/m2, which it looks like we probably can. I know a lot of this will rely on us being smart, we are bound to win some and lose some, but it's the average I'm worried about.