Jump to content

MikeSharp01

Members
  • Posts

    5693
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Everything posted by MikeSharp01

  1. We used them for the pipe no issues.
  2. I take my face with me most places - agree NEC is best but they can all be amusing in the people watching sort of way - we will probably drop by Build IT Kent this weekend - just for the crack!
  3. We have a 3 module option from BT which gives me wifi in the workshop up in the hillside works a dream. It they are wifi homespot 9s they also dupe the domain so common login across them and our in house system.
  4. Sounds like an interesting challenge does it not! I dimly recall the frustration that @Jeremy Harris had with insulating his tank so I would want to avoid it if possible.
  5. Welcome one and all to THE forum for self builders and like minded individuals.
  6. One concern is where to put / encase the buffer so as to ensure it does not ad heat into the building - its all a trade off. It must be possible to use a multi zone UFH as its own buffer in some circumstances - its a control thing. After all, in an ideal world, you don't want it running anywhere other than at a good COP.
  7. Wondered where you were.
  8. where is wingdings in the font drop down and does this not use the ASCII set anyway? Encrypt everything or politely ask for your data not to be transmitted over Huawei kit and see if that gets you anywhere - it won't. HMG are being driven - as they always are, by cost £ now and not cost £ in misery later. Here is a brilliant opportunity for UK PLC to develop a technology lead and we sell out - don't get me started.
  9. You need 3rd party cover as anything happens on your land you coukd liable. There are products for pre build but once you start it would not be sensible to proceed without insurance.
  10. Presumably this means that when you buy the car you sign away your rights to the data, can you not turn it off / take out the nG sim card??
  11. Was shown this today - interesting and a bit OTT, perhaps too 'big building' focused but if you are contemplating a connected home lots here to point up the pitfalls to be avoided. https://www.iotsecurityfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/IoTSF-Smart-Buildings-White-Paper-PDFv2.pdf I was also watching a sensor demonstration on Friday with an 02, CO2, Humidiy and Temperature capability and wondering just what you could make of the data from a room with one of these it it! EG "Hello there are two people in this room exerting themselves rather". Curiously the people demonstrating it had not thought of the implications of logging their data into the cloud!
  12. Welcome to THE Forum for selfbuilders and like minded individuals. We are round the M25 at J4 but building in Whitstable.
  13. There is your answer - sorry, everything 'up the smoke' has a premium because ... well I guess you know. Just bringing a van in CL for a day cost serious money, room rates for overnights are sky high. Took our two children out for brunch on Saturday in CL £180 for four - I nearly collapsed. If you are half handy you could probably do a chunk of it yourself of course and let the pros do the rest.
  14. I downloaded the .dwg auraplus and I got 10.5 mm from Autocad. 1
  15. I would download a section drawing, I think you have Rationel windows, they will show you exactly.
  16. Bit more reading and I find this: "Today we’d like to take the opportunity to kill the idea of the Kitchen Work Triangle as a design tool that is out of date and should be out of our thinking process." [Source accessed 11.01.2020] More work needed this end I fear.
  17. Hmmm. Looking into my comment above I found this ref: "Developed in the early twentieth century, the working triangle—also known as "the kitchen triangle," also known as "the golden triangle"—is a theory that states a kitchen’s three main work areas should form, you guessed it, a triangle. Specifically, the sink, the refrigerator, and the stove. By the mid-twentieth century this theory was widely disseminated and still, miraculously, applies today. According to its tenets, each leg of the triangle formed should be between four and nine feet each, and the sum distance of the triangle should not be less than 13 or more than 26 feet. So neither too far apart or too compact. (In my own kitchen, the segment between the sink and the refrigerator is far shorter than the requisite four feet, thus creating a bottleneck.)" [Source accessed 11.01.202] So our idea of having the fridge, dishwashers - yes 2, sink and hob all on the island just got a knock back.
  18. Not odd but interesting. When entertaining you want to talk to your guests so I am not sure why you would not have both sink and hob on the island, suitably separated of course. I find the most interesting thing when looking at other peoples kitchens is where the oven is in relation to the hob, if not directly under it. After all they have no direct relationship unless you are finishing off something under the grill that was previously on the hob and of course most peoples hobs are the landing places of trays etc from the hot oven. Wonder if there are any stats other than those associated with the well known triangle to show the average time spent at each of the stations of the kitchen when prepping an average meal.
  19. Net present value / Real rate of return needs also to factor in inflation as this eats away at investment now over time against interest lost or otherwise paid.
  20. Welcome to THE forum for self builders and like minded individuals - sounds very exciting and we look forward to hearing more about it.
  21. Makes me wonder what to do next - I am about to order the 7+ Kw of solar panels and I know that is too much to export all at once but given that it is spread over the roof segments. 3.66Kw 20deg west of South @ 30deg elevation - no shade, 2Kw 20deg south of East @ 30 deg - shade early AM and 2Kw 20deg north of West @ 30 deg no shade I think our max output will be slightly above 5 although I have room for about 5 Kw more on the East & West roofs combined. I had intended to control loads and charge things like the Sunamp using solid state contractors, rough, ready and somewhat wasteful, so as to keep the peek below 3.66Kw, so I used it all and export a bit but I am now thinking I could export if I went for a G59 application - used an inverter system with the relevant protection - so no relays, the other phases are on a pole on our land! Even at 5.5p I cannot see it being a good financial call but imagine what it will do for the SAP rating! Need to do the math!
  22. Interesting....
  23. Time to order the first floor floorboards. 18mm is structurally enough on 400mm centres of our I-joists but I was wondering what the advantage of 22mm might be if it isnt structural.
×
×
  • Create New...