Jump to content

Temp

Members
  • Posts

    10690
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    43

Everything posted by Temp

  1. Next week Lidl have a 4in1 petrol powered strimmer, hedge trimmer etc.. https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=4094&ar=7 The hedge trimmer attachment appears to have a metal casing rather than plastic that a few really cheap bundles have sometimes.
  2. I'd certainly never by a new house "off plan". Best thing we can do is teach our kids how to value quality and hope it goes viral.
  3. Our neighbours once told me they "didn't realise the house would be so big". That despite me giving them copies of the full plans including a "street scene" showing our house and theirs all to scale on one large sheet of paper. I also showed them a model I'd made from architectural foam board. Not really sure how I could have been any clearer in advance.
  4. Some 11 years ago our BCO wanted all our downlights to be part B (fire) and part E (sound) rated.
  5. https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Habitable_room
  6. Part M 2015/16 edition... https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/540330/BR_PDF_AD_M1_2015_with_2016_amendments_V3.pdf Page 7 section 1.15 suggests that there is a minimum width for "all doors to habitable rooms" and the "WC on the entrance storey". I don't think a bathroom is a habitable room so I think you are ok. Best check I've read that correctly.
  7. Intended to be a late reply to Barney's OP.
  8. Thing is they don't want to be accused of inaction. Lots of action, even if of dubious value, is seen as better than doing nothing.
  9. A sketch of the proposal would be nice. The main concern I would have is with the sizing of any flashing/gutter where the flat roof meets the sloping. Its possible to have really huge volumes of water come down a roof and I would assume that occasionally this will be enough to overwhelm any standard sized gutters and design accordingly.
  10. BBC News had some sort of fire expert on earlier today (sometime between 10 and 11am) but it was a poor interview I thought. He suggested that the government were trying to claim the rain screen was "insulation" and that the new tests were treating it accordingly and that's why it was failing. You could see he wasn't happy about this, mentioned the ventilation gap and cited some documents. The implication was that the rain screen passed the regulations for a rain screen but not the regulations for insulation.
  11. The info was shared and a report published in 2000. The recommendations https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199900/cmselect/cmenvtra/109/10908.htm I wonder if Tony Blair's government acted on it?
  12. I think that's right. I was trying to rationalise all the failures with assertions from the manufacturers that their products meet Building Regs and safety standards. It seems that the BRE are testing samples using a new/different test method to that used when materials were originally given their fire ratings. The BRE web site statement dated the 21st June says... http://bregroup.com/press-releases/statement-on-grenfell-tower/ That implies this is something new rather than an established test protocol. The Times today also says... Again suggesting that these are new/different tests.
  13. I thought the cladding panels hooked onto frames that were open in the middle (like a picture frame without glass) so there might be an unobstructed path which I marked in green...
  14. +1 to posts from agricultural suppliers. I've found proper P&R posts (which are 5*3 I think) and the large square posts (4*4) last a lot longer than the DIY store fence posts that are around 3*3. Mine have been in 11 years with no sign of any issues.
  15. Most pleased about this week... Think I've fixed my mower. It's a V-Twin B&S and looks like the diodes in the kill circuit have become heat sensitive. Official replacement part is £45. New diodes cost me 10p (plus postage). Edit: Oh and I fixed the dishwasher. Bit of scale caused the heater to blow.
  16. https://www.celotex.co.uk/
  17. In which case just about any fabricator of structural steel will be able to do it - or they won't be in business.
  18. Here you go. This is a basin spout. When screwed into the elbow it contacts the wall tiles before becoming fully tight and ends up pointing in the 4 O'clock position rather than the required 6 O'clock. So you have to undo it almost a full turn to get it vertical. That leaves a gap between the spout and the wall. We ended up using a Dremel to remove a little of the tile to allow us to tighten it up a bit more. This type of outside tap can also be a problem.... If you just screw the tap into the elbow chances are it will be pointing sideways when it's tight. You have to apply lots of tape and hope it's reasonably tight once you get to the vertical position. Now imagine that problem when the elbow is hidden in a wall and the tiles are on. Not only must the fitting end up vertical but also the right depth relative to the face of the tiles.
  19. Technical problems with a site generally make it more expensive. If you want to keep costs to a minimum you want a nice flat site with easy access to services and perhaps a simple house shape.
  20. Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought the Met/Scotland Yard statement implied that the samples failed a standard flammability test - not a test carried out to simulate the conditions at Grenfell. She talked about the insulation failing the test and also the tiles failing the test.
  21. A statement by someone from Scotland Yard on BBC just now said that both the "Insulation and tiles" used in the cladding has failed a combustion test carried out by the BRE. She also said samples of the insulation "combusted soon after the test started" and that the "initial test on the cladding tiles also failed the safety tests". Not sure if this link will work for long but skip to 10:42.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcnews
  22. Have you looked at hiring a petrol shredder? Once the big stuff is gone it's gone so you may not need such a big one in future?
  23. I understand they are being offered the affordable apartments that the developer was required to include to get PP. I doubt they will look like the show apartments in the photos as these go for £1.6 to £5m according to the Times. Apparently they aren't finished yet but the council have relaxed the hours the developer can work to help speed them up.
  24. I like Dulux Endurance as you can wash it without it coming off. Essential on corners and around light switches if you have kids.
  25. How many American appliances do you have?
×
×
  • Create New...