No deal Brexit impact

gc100

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

31st Jan 202?

And all this is just to say, 'here is, or isn't, a cheque, now how shall we proceed to the trade and social aspect'.

This is going to last longer than the Neverending Story, 1979 to 2016.

Because ( as I always thought ) no deal can never be allowed to happen regardless of how anyone voted .

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

as I always thought

I often wonder, getting it back to building, what would happen if we all 'thought' differently about the underlying physics and prices.

Would be have beautiful ivory towers or carbuncles?

Would they be fast to build?

Cheap too.

How well would they withstand a gale from an unexpected direction.

Probably it is a good job that we tend to do what we have, or others have, done.  Keeping the status quo is often a good policy.

All very exciting what is going to happen.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I often wonder, getting it back to building, what would happen if we all 'thought' differently about the underlying physics and prices.

Would be have beautiful ivory towers or carbuncles?

Would they be fast to build?

Cheap too.

How well would they withstand a gale from an unexpected direction.

Probably it is a good job that we tend to do what we have, or others have, done.  Keeping the status quo is often a good policy.

All very exciting what is going to happen.

Best build underground- ready for WW3 , hurricane , sun spot blast or , more importantly when the aliens land and suck the brains out of all you humans .

I shall be safe - awaiting my chance to start a brave new world .

Contraction of building industry may free up more contractors for the self builders but may it also risk more of those contractors going to the wall - especially if they are not optimised for that market?

For example, the plumbing contractor I used was honest that his bread and butter was jobs from developers (not volume builders but bespoke units) and that a one off job like mine got slotted in as and when so I had to be somewhat patient with his team's availability. He was not going to let down a regular source of income to satisfy a one off job.

While this was frustrating, start dates sliding etc, I approached smaller plumbers but they were put off by the scale of the job - they were more sized to in and out jobs like a bathroom fitting etc.

I hear our contractor has now wound up his business and moved away as the development income was dwindling as the investors behind such schemes were sitting on the money for now, theres not enough volume in self build and he didn't want to chase the small job market.

Acknowledge that the plural of anecdote is not data but I think market contraction can cut both ways in labour availability.

25 minutes ago, pocster said:

Best build underground- ready for WW3 , hurricane , sun spot blast or , more importantly when the aliens land and suck the brains out of all you humans .

I shall be safe - awaiting my chance to start a brave new world .

I will also be there. Having a house that's apparently modelled on a RUC station in Belfast circa 1988 (sarky comment from a visiting NI friend) won't hurt either. 

Just now, Bitpipe said:

Contraction of building industry may free up more contractors for the self builders but may it also risk more of those contractors going to the wall - especially if they are not optimised for that market?

We put out an invitation to tender a few weeks ago and have had all the contractors apart from one ask to be included in the tender. Our architect was quite surprised as they normally get quite a few declining due to current commitments. We're assuming this is down to a slowdown in work but you never know. I'll see what it does the prices in the next month or so. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ralph said:

We put out an invitation to tender a few weeks ago and have had all the contractors apart from one ask to be included in the tender. Our architect was quite surprised as they normally get quite a few declining due to current commitments. We're assuming this is down to a slowdown in work but you never know. I'll see what it does the prices in the next month or so. 

Hmm good to know, I might try to accellerate my process to ask for tender before Brexoween..

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

I hear our contractor has now wound up his business and moved away as the development income was dwindling as the investors behind such schemes were sitting on the money for now, theres not enough volume in self build and he didn't want to chase the small job market.

Interesting. He rang me a while back (6 months, maybe more) and mentioned a lot of this. I didn't realise it was serious enough to have him wind things up.

19 minutes ago, jack said:

Interesting. He rang me a while back (6 months, maybe more) and mentioned a lot of this. I didn't realise it was serious enough to have him wind things up.

I heard it from @Weebles I think. I expect he'll re-establish in Ireland - seems a bit young to retire but maybe he can afford to now :)

• 2 months later...

Tesla cite Brexit uncertainty as the reason for building factory in Germany instead of UK...

https://amp.theguardian.com/technology/2019/nov/13/tesla-cites-brexit-as-germany-chosen-over-uk-for-european-plant-elon-musk

The Tesla chief executive, Elon Musk, has said Brexit uncertainty played a role in the firm’s decision to build its first European factory in Germany rather than the UK.

The billionaire entrepreneur revealed that the firm’s European battery plant would be built on the outskirts of Berlin.

Speaking to Auto Express after making the announcement, Musk said: “Brexit [uncertainty] made it too risky to put a Gigafactory in the UK.”

According to Talk Radio today a significant percentage of the population think the recently agreed deal is the final deal that will govern our long term relationship with the EU. They don't realise this is meant to be the easy bit that only covers the transition period - which is now only going to be 11 months long (according to Boris).

There's a lot of misreporting re: Tesla. 

There was never, ever, any plan to locate the European Gigafactory in the UK.  Tesla never even looked at the option, or had any discussions with anyone in the UK about siting a Gigafactory here.  It's been a badly kept secret that the European Gigafactory was going to be located in Germany for months now.

The decision Tesla announced this week regarding the UK was about the siting of the European R&D facility, not the European Gigafactory.  There was a slim chance that the UK might be chosen for the location of the R&D facility, but once it became clear that (largely for logistic reasons, plus, I suspect, some incentives) Tesla were going to locate the European Gigafactory in Germany, it made a lot of sense for them to also locate the R&D facility there too.  This really should be no suprise, as the UK just isn't a volume car exporting nation.  Germany exported over $260 billion worth of cars last year, the UK exported less than $60 billion.  Bit of a no-brainer to locate a factory somewhere with very good transport links (no ferries, for example) if looking for a central European manufacturing hub.  The fact that Germany also has some of the worlds finest automotive robot manufacturing companies, and that Tesla Gigafactories are more automated then any other car manufacturer, was probably a pretty significant factor too.

I'm sure that Brexit uncertainty was (and still is) on the Tesla risk register, but I'm also pretty sure that part of the deal with Germany will have included the wording of the press statements.  It's very clearly in Germany's interest to make the point that Brexit played a part in the decision, even if we all know full well that, at least as far as the big bit goes, the location of the European Gigafactory, it wasn't a significant consideration.

10 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

There's a lot of misreporting re: Tesla. 

There was never, ever, any plan to locate the European Gigafactory in the UK.  Tesla never even looked at the option, or had any discussions with anyone in the UK about siting a Gigafactory here.  It's been a badly kept secret that the European Gigafactory was going to be located in Germany for months now.

The decision Tesla announced this week regarding the UK was about the siting of the European R&D facility, not the European Gigafactory.  There was a slim chance that the UK might be chosen for the location of the R&D facility, but once it became clear that (largely for logistic reasons, plus, I suspect, some incentives) Tesla were going to locate the European Gigafactory in Germany, it made a lot of sense for them to also locate the R&D facility there too.  This really should be no suprise, as the UK just isn't a volume car exporting nation.  Germany exported over $260 billion worth of cars last year, the UK exported less than $60 billion.  Bit of a no-brainer to locate a factory somewhere with very good transport links (no ferries, for example) if looking for a central European manufacturing hub.  The fact that Germany also has some of the worlds finest automotive robot manufacturing companies, and that Tesla Gigafactories are more automated then any other car manufacturer, was probably a pretty significant factor too.

I'm sure that Brexit uncertainty was (and still is) on the Tesla risk register, but I'm also pretty sure that part of the deal with Germany will have included the wording of the press statements.  It's very clearly in Germany's interest to make the point that Brexit played a part in the decision, even if we all know full well that, at least as far as the big bit goes, the location of the European Gigafactory, it wasn't a significant consideration.

Don’t spoil the narrative. 

Has Elon built all the other factories he was supposed to build yet?

9 hours ago, daiking said:

Has Elon built all the other factories he was supposed to build yet?

Heard on the news that the factory in China, which was a field in January is now making cars.

From Wikipedia

The Shanghai regional government approved the agreement to build the production facility in July 2018, and a long-term lease was signed for about 86 hectares (210 acres) of land in October 2018.[1][3] Construction began in December 2018 with the installation of secure fencing and site offices. The General Assembly Building was nearly complete by August 2019, and manufacturing line equipment was being installed for both batteries and automobiles. News reports in August noted production could start as early as November 2019,[4] and CNBC reports that Tesla is expected to manufacture more than 6000 vehicles at Gigafactory 3 by year-end 2019.[5] The plant had begun initial production of Tesla Model 3 cars by October 2019.[6]

How long does it take us to get planning and design a building, let alone build one.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Heard on the news that the factory in China, which was a field in January is now making cars.

From Wikipedia

The Shanghai regional government approved the agreement to build the production facility in July 2018, and a long-term lease was signed for about 86 hectares (210 acres) of land in October 2018.[1][3] Construction began in December 2018 with the installation of secure fencing and site offices. The General Assembly Building was nearly complete by August 2019, and manufacturing line equipment was being installed for both batteries and automobiles. News reports in August noted production could start as early as November 2019,[4] and CNBC reports that Tesla is expected to manufacture more than 6000 vehicles at Gigafactory 3 by year-end 2019.[5] The plant had begun initial production of Tesla Model 3 cars by October 2019.[6]

How long does it take us to get planning and design a building, let alone build one.

Let’s hope it’s successful as Gigafactory 2 ?

27 minutes ago, daiking said:

Let’s hope it’s successful as Gigafactory 2

Even that went from a polluted brown field to production in about 4 years.

There is the last tin mine that was productive. For the last 20+ years there has been arguements about reopening it.

Latest twist us that they could not build housing nearby because if the noise that the mine may make.

20 (expletive deleted)ing years to do nothing, the UK really had to get a grip on development and rethink our planning system which is hurting the country at every level.

• Like 2

It will all be ok as Boris is not cutting corporation tax now as promised, but is going to spend the 2% difference on the NHS.  Apparently that is £6bn.

Is that on top of the £18bn bus promise. A 30% increase, I better go and break something.

Edited by SteamyTea

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

It will all be ok as Boris is not cutting corporation tax now as promised, but is going to spend the 2% difference on the NHS.  Apparently that is £6bn.

Is that on top of the £18bn bus promise. A 30% increase, I better go and break something.

hey --don,t joke about that --just back fromn dumfries hospital ,visiting my older brother 

bonfire on staurday night and few beers and stood funny on a wee log ,went over broke his ankle in 3 places

pins through it --waitng for swelling to go down then plates abd screws ,if no other problems  

he is 72 

--so not going to be quick mending

Edited by scottishjohn