No deal Brexit impact

gc100

26 minutes ago, redtop said:

[...]

Being a chartered engineer in germany means a lot; far less respected here for some reason. I suspect the germans respect building, engineering and manufacturing right from school, collage, university through to employment far more than we do.  And despite the car debacle i still have the perception that german engineering is better than UK (or any other country). 

[...]

You are  right : chartered status is highly valued across the board among Germans. You are similarly correct about the training system. There is ' parity of esteem ' across the three main sectors of the Secondary Education system (there are five sectors  in all). That means that, on successful completion of the end of year exams, students can change school to the type of school of their choice (Theoretical, Theoretical Practical, Practical). Th

The irony? The system was designed by the British at the end of the war.

However, I understand, but regrettably  disagree with your perception about German engineering.  Many in Germany argue that the diesel emissions scandal was not merely  a rogue software team coping with the challenge posed by the American Emissions Standards. 

That other hoary old chestnut, punctuality of their trains,  is now widely seen as what used to happen.

(For example) https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0007xsx 

On a specific note, for anyone thinking of using blown cellulose as their insulation, Warmcel have advised of likely price fluctuations and will not guarantee quoted prices after 1st October. Clearly a bit vague, but might be of use to others.

41 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Really? I mean really?

I'm just a bit tired of asking you to evidence sweeping generalisations.

42 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Really? I mean really?

I'm just a bit tired of asking you to evidence sweeping generalisations.

Yes I mean really. Can’t be bothered arguing about something so evident. Especially with someone who asks for evidence that the bbc is anti brexit. 

Why do you think there is a £90billion trade deficit?

Just been looking at other markets.  Supermarkets have been mentioned previously, so here are the top 10 supermarkets in Germany:

image.png.1dcce8548b95ff6004bba14644f40899.png

And here are the top 10 supermarkets in the UK:

image.png.f4d757b3a9ccac4a67a764df538142f9.png

The pattern seems broadly similar to cars, in that Germany seems to have a strong preference for German-owned brands.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Right there. That's the problem.

I just don’t enjoy arguing on the internet. 

Saying germans buy their own brands is like saying brits drink tea. I buy German cars and tools makita apart. So do many brits, Australians, americans etc. Their artificially weak currency allows them to make maximum profit on their premium products too. It’s just a shame that it does the opposite to Spanish oranges. 

Talking about German preferences, I am currently on holiday in the old home country and what I can say strikes me a lot(careful, generalisation)

There seems to be a lot more "stuff" made in Germany (but also in Switzerland, Austria or Poland, where I also spend a lot of time).

The amount of small to middle manufacturers outside the UK seems to be huge, while in the UK I am constantly under the impression that my choice of "stuff" is either custom made -  high price- or imported mass produced. With some exception of large factories. But the amount of medium to large size production is extremely little in my perception and all the infos I read and all the opinions on here seem to support that impression.

Which I find a little scary tbh.

@JSHarris

all the stats you pull are generally supporting my impression.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

chartered status is highly valued across the board among Germans

In the UK, a totally unqualified person, if often called an 'engineer' by their employers.

It used to drive me mad, as an engineer, that my boss would send the storeman (he was a good bloke and a very good storeman) out on a service call as an engineer.

Mind you, the one other real engineer we had, sawed though some roof trusts to fit a sauna, on a listed building.  He got thrown off site.

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

And here are the top 10 supermarkets in the UK:

Is Tesco still about 100 times the size of Sainsbury, or was that just the profit they made a few years back.

Re: Investing in UK manufacturing.

Why would you invest in high capital cost, low profit industry?

On 10/12/2018 at 10:03, gc100 said:

Well a no deal brexit is most likely to kill my build project after already investing 25K it seems.

If a no deal is happening, what are peoples best guess on cost of building materials?

This was the question folks.

Can we keep on topic please, as we've already had one train-wreck of a brexit thread go 'bye-bye' and I'm getting an itchy trigger finger already just by the way this is picking up pace ( in all the wrong directions )?

I will ask that anyone who hasn't got anything relative to the OP to say, types nothing at all ;) So simple an idea, it's almost perfect. :) 

This is not, nor will it become, a 'Brexit thread'. Go to the pub and discuss that over a few Stella's. 

Mods shall lock this for 24 hours to allow some time for reflection.................."Strike 1"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/08/2019 at 16:52, K78 said:

Financial services currently keep this country afloat. All of our money is made in the SE.

"our money "#

mine has been made by my labours serving the local community .

and hence why s/e is so packed and rest of country gets sod all spent on it 

brexit will be be the best thing ever + kill HS2 while you are at it 

sorry my view is we need to be far more uk made first  in our views -outside sourced has a tax on it

Scotland --bragging about all the wind farms --yes but all made in EU--and profits going back there

same as trams in edinburgh --german and they screwed council on price as well

simple things like government contracts  must be sourced in UK  will do a lot to keep the money flowing 

we had the crazy situation where scottish parliament building  used chinese granite --cos it was cheaper!! 

If you out source your own parliament building --thats very sad.

so much for scottish independence!!

no way that building will still be there in 400 years --should have been built from cut stone - and not look like some.thing a 10 year old would draw 

AND WHY DID WE NEED A SPANISH ARCITECT!!-- and what a great job he costed it at 40m --it cost 400m

never made me any money --applies to s/e  -not the whole country 

2 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

rest of country gets sod all spent on it 

Scotland gets more per head than London...

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN04033

Public spending by country and region

In 2017/18, public spending per person in the UK as a whole was £9,350. In England, it was £9,080 (3% below the UK average).  This compares with:

Scotland: £10,881 (16% above the UK average)

Wales: £10,397 (11% above the UK average)

Northern Ireland £11,190 (20% above the UK average).

Among the English regions, public spending per person was lowest in the South East at £8,297 (11% below the UK average) and highest in London at £10,323 (10% higher than the UK average).

Edited by Temp

2 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

scottish parliament building  used chinese granite --cos it was cheaper!! 

Have you heard of the economic principle called 'division of labour'.

Was coined by a Scot.

Now what can I add to this to get the thread locked, or even deleted.

• Haha 1

On 24/08/2019 at 23:28, Nickfromwales said:

This is not, nor will it become, a 'Brexit thread'.

What is the issue with having a brexit thread? I'm not fussed either way but in a forum where there is pretty much a thread for everything why so hot on shutting down Brexit discussions??‍♂️

Have seen a few small articles suggesting the cost of construction insurance will rise as insurance companies factor in a shortage of skilled construction workers post Brexit. The argument being that less skilled workers make more mistakes and have more accidents. 

6 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

What is the issue with having a brexit thread? I'm not fussed either way but in a forum where there is pretty much a thread for everything why so hot on shutting down Brexit discussions??‍♂️

I agree but it must remain civil and such a contentious subject can lead to “the red mist coming down “. I think I have learnt more relevant facts from this forum on the subject of Brexit than the papers!.

25 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I agree but it must remain civil and such a contentious subject can lead to “the red mist coming down “.

Or I can just quote economic principles in a forceful and outright manner.

If I was female, it would be called assertiveness.

But I am not, so I shall just insult general principles and entrenched ideals.

I am doing my best.

(not using emojis as I don't want people to know if I am serious or not)

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Been there.....

Done that....

Didn’t work....

Created lots OF work ( for volunteer staff members who had better things to be doing ).....

Went away.....

Not coming back....

;)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a heads up: The government and EU have changed the advice given to businesses. Businesses importing/exporting between UK and EU will need EORI numbers from BOTH the UK and EU. Previously both sides had claimed their number was the only one needed.

From the government website

If there’s a no-deal Brexit

You’ll need an EORI number that starts with GB to move goods in or out of the UK if there’s no Brexit deal.

If you already have an EORI number that starts with GB, you can continue to use it. It will be 12 digits long. If you’re registered for VAT it will include your VAT registration number.

and

Apply for an EORI number

It takes 5 to 10 minutes to apply for an EORI number. You’ll get it either:

• straight away
  • within 5 working days (if HMRC needs to make more checks)

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

From the government website

If there’s a no-deal Brexit

You’ll need an EORI number that starts with GB to move goods in or out of the UK if there’s no Brexit deal.

If you already have an EORI number that starts with GB, you can continue to use it. It will be 12 digits long. If you’re registered for VAT it will include your VAT registration number.

and

Apply for an EORI number

It takes 5 to 10 minutes to apply for an EORI number. You’ll get it either:

• straight away
  • within 5 working days (if HMRC needs to make more checks)

or like me you try 5 times and the website crashes

• Haha 1

Well given whats happened today, I'm now planning to try and buy forward as much of my building materials before end of Oct. Its going to be error prone and could well cost me more. I've already lost my 20 years worth of pension contributions in France (if we do leave) and cannot face it prolonging my build (and increase cost) due to supply problems. My life is just too short and Brexit has already ruined my life enough.

@Nickfromwales please close this thread.