My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

I’ve just realised, you’re causing yourself a bit of unnecessary pain and suffering by not using fittings from the underground ( orange coloured ) range. These will give you 15o and 30o bends, whereas it looks like you’re mostly ( ore exclusively ) using 45o ( aka 135o ) bends?

yeah. correct. was looking like a pain using the grey push fit so I bought that flexible pipe to assist. I guess I could make it fit better using orange bends like you say. I'll have a go in the morning to make it better and if that doesn't work I'll get some orange 15° and 30° bends.

12 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

SVP take 2. a LOT less fugly @Russell griffiths, @ProDave, @Nickfromwales. does this work better?

IMG_4367.jpeg.b1c8a8aea92f19076c66977359354db3.jpegIMG_4368.jpeg.cf3d0fef85fe2a552bc227aaaf0dc4bd.jpeg

I'm much happier with it! tbh, I wasn't really happy with the previous attempt and do agree it was fugly. it really didn't look right. thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow. 

Deeply hurt I’ve not been tagged for approval on version 2 . I think it looks fugly 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

As i said, if it looks right it normally is, if you walk in and glance at it and go, oh my Lordy WTF is that, it normally needs improvement. 

Get some strap band like the welsh wally said and you can get all those fittings supported. 

I said strap band also 🤣

5 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

As i said, if it looks right it normally is, if you walk in and glance at it and go, oh my Lordy WTF is that, it normally needs improvement. 

Get some strap band like the welsh wally said and you can get all those fittings supported. 

pvc coated strap band already here and ready to rock. will strap it all up a bit later.

today I also carried on this soil pipe to the basement where it will join up to the pipe going out of the wall and to our STP. I'm REALLY hoping that no one sees an issue with this work as I REALLY don't want to do it again!

IMG_4380.jpeg.c7a9cb4d822eca514ea7746254dbe4ab.jpeg

IMG_4379.jpeg.88d35edfd3694106a99f6df7e3b6f2ab.jpeg

IMG_4377.jpeg.e3971b3a6c4b798925eb4683ec32bcc0.jpeg

below photo is from the room above. it's not fugly but I had to skirt around the MVHR ducting and there was no other way of doing it. it looks good to me. 🙂 

IMG_4384.jpeg.a975ef52fad5d16c50fb184c942e2a5c.jpeg

and for once I'm happy about it not being level!

IMG_4374.jpeg.50a9e38b9ed1dc37df72a77e6a25b5a4.jpeg

IMG_4373.jpeg.36cf13f182c0b94bbeea679518a26060.jpeg

it falls approximately 25mm over 1500mm so roughly 1:60 fall which, I believe, is well within tolerance.

I await the criticism!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thorfun said:

I'm REALLY hoping that no one sees an issue with this work as I REALLY don't want to do it again!

40C53246-A624-4227-BCE1-B3EF868E9EBC.thumb.jpeg.11d10077269e32189ac575b7de6e3d17.jpeg
Sorry but that needs to come out… you cannot use an access elbow on a drop - it will fill full of $h!te and and block in a week. Must be a long 90° bend (87.5° to be precise) and you also need to restrain the elbow above it from moving …

22 minutes ago, PeterW said:

40C53246-A624-4227-BCE1-B3EF868E9EBC.thumb.jpeg.11d10077269e32189ac575b7de6e3d17.jpeg
Sorry but that needs to come out… you cannot use an access elbow on a drop - it will fill full of $h!te and and block in a week. Must be a long 90° bend (87.5° to be precise) and you also need to restrain the elbow above it from moving …

Have another look…… It isn’t a ‘full drop’ it’s just a small drop from horizontal.

The only thing I would have done differently here would have been to use a 135 bend into a 135 branch, with the open end on horizontal having the cleaning / rodding eye.

@Thorfun, you can relax. The plumbing grinch is being too picky here IMO, and the clip immediately after it is sufficient support AFAIC.

32 minutes ago, PeterW said:

thanks for the feedback. it is very much appreciated. I can easily swap the 90° bend with access point for one without the access point! but I had a drawing from a civil engineer showing a similar access point in a 90° bend so was following that in a way.

image.thumb.png.0d3b020425d1a3ea21d21e8dd0b32a7a.png

but I do now see it says long radius bend.

I am confused by what the Red Cross is denoting though as that's MVHR ducting you've marked it on!

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Have another look…… It isn’t a ‘full drop’ it’s just a small drop from horizontal.

The only thing I would have done differently here would have been to use a 135 bend into a 135 branch, with the open end on horizontal having the cleaning / rodding eye.

@Thorfun, you can relax. The plumbing grinch is being too picky here IMO, and the clip immediately after it is sufficient support AFAIC.

even though I said I didn't want to change it I will if it will give a better solution! I think I understand what you mean about 'open end on horizontal having the cleaning/rodding eye'. do you mean one of these:

https://www.drainagepipe.co.uk/ring-seal-soil-branch-135-degree-x-110mm-grey-p-SP210G/

with one of these in the end:

https://www.drainagepipe.co.uk/ring-seal-soil-access-plug-110mm-grey-p-SP292G/

will that be a better access/rodding solution?

43 minutes ago, PeterW said:

you cannot use an access elbow on a drop

and, for future reference, when is an access elbow used if not on a drop? is it only on a horizontal? if so I could probably make that happen with what I've already got! I can go 135° into 135° from the vertical and then into the 90° elbow on the horizontal.

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Not the drop I’m concerned about @Nickfromwales it is the cap on the outside of the elbow which will become a turd catcher and block … look again at the other angle

Nope. The insert of that particular inspection elbow is a very flush and snug fit, with the internal bore of the bend nigh on smooth and ‘snag-free’.

Edited by Nickfromwales
Snug not shut……ffs…..poxy thumbs.

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

Nope. The insert of that particular inspection elbow is a very flush and shut fit, with the internal bore of the bend nigh on smooth and ‘snag-free’.

I can vouch for that! I took it apart and it is very smooth. I'll pop out and take a photo.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

and, for future reference, when is an access elbow used if not on a drop? is it only on a horizontal? if so I could probably make that happen with what I've already got! I can go 135° into 135° from the vertical and then into the 90° elbow on the horizontal.

Chill, Winston.

Do you have another inspection elbow on site? If so, can you post a pic of the internal bore for ‘er indoors aka @PeterW ?

Edited by Nickfromwales

@Nickfromwales so, even though you think my solution is ok, would something else be better? I have other options and can go for your 135° in to 135° branch if you think that is a better solution. I'd rather get it right now than have to do it all again at a later date. 

I've got pretty thick skin so don't worry about offending!

Just now, PeterW said:

Feck off pie boy…

@Thorfun they are better than some so should be fine 

ok. thanks. hopefully I'll never need to rod it any way!

I'm still interested in a better solution though. always looking to improve myself and my knowledge.

7 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Pesto Cod fillet on a bed of “wilted” greens, ill have you know. America IPA ( Shipyard ) is providing the necessary lubrication to wash it all down 👍 

So a microwave meal and the 3 for £5.50 deal from the Co-op?