My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

5 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

in the drawing below what I've got at the moment is on the left. is what you're proposing on the right?

IMG_0388.jpeg.98ddc15c0f6f7c211c86294decda0343.jpeg

if so, I might have enough room to do that.

no as you’ll lose solids again on the drop. I meant can you go further away from the basement exit point with the vertical stack ..? Or is it fixed ..? So as per your right drawing but straight up from the pair of 45’s

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

no as you’ll lose solids again on the drop. I meant can you go further away from the basement exit point with the vertical stack ..? Or is it fixed ..? So as per your right drawing but straight up from the pair of 45’s

I'm not sure if that's possible. here's the plans for the area where talking about.

image.thumb.png.ea23c2b4f9ac1bcc084a9eb82b6c4928.png

so the SVP in the drawing is pretty much where I've got it currently running. so I could double back on the run in the comms room in the basement, something like this side on drawing?

image.jpeg.5d9568b16a8d8b8addd4ec363e5d020d.jpeg

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, pocster said:

Screwfix 

FloPlast Push-Fit 87.5° Double Socket Rest Bend 110mm

it’ll probably fit 😁👍

yeah, but that's underground drainage! and, yes, I know it's in a basement so technically is underground but I thought orange stuff was to be buried and grey/black was for internal.

• Like 1

yeah, but that's underground drainage! and, yes, I know it's in a basement so technically is underground but I thought orange stuff was to be buried and grey/black was for internal.

Yeah . But apart from the colour it would work 😁

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I could spray paint it

I *think* the terracotta colouring is just to show it’s a waste pipe underground ( in the event it was dug up ) . So …. I don’t see an issue here really . Guess no one does a rest bend above ground I.e black/grey ( which I guess makes sense ). Do it ! 😁

44 minutes ago, pocster said:

I *think* the terracotta colouring is just to show it’s a waste pipe underground ( in the event it was dug up ) . So …. I don’t see an issue here really . Guess no one does a rest bend above ground I.e black/grey ( which I guess makes sense ). Do it ! 😁

well, as @PeterW said...

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

Yep @ProDave is right and that should have an elbow on it - if you can't get a rest bend then use a pair of 45° bends with a short section of pipe between.

so I can simply use a pair of 45° with a short section of pipe between. I'll take a look in the morning and see if I can run the soil pipe straight down and bend to the horizontal and branch into the pipe through the wall (in purple below).

image.png.dd2a3615e46fd1d2297c54fb092470e5.png

it all depends on how much room I have and where the beams for the block and beam are.

I'm sure it'll all be clear in the morning!

hmmm.....out of interest @PeterW, can I use a standard 92.5° bend like this (https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-push-fit-92-5-double-socket-bend-grey-110mm/17584) instead of the 2 x 45°? or will that still separate solids and fluids?

2 hours ago, pocster said:

I *think* the terracotta colouring is just to show it’s a waste pipe underground ( in the event it was dug up ) 😁

I think underground pipe is not UV resistant and the colour is to mark that? Although I guess unless your basement has windows you may get away with that (in practice, dunno about from a BC point of view)?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, andyscotland said:

I think underground pipe is not UV resistant and the colour is to mark that? Although I guess unless your basement has windows you may get away with that (in practice, dunno about from a BC point of view)?

Not sure about it’s UV properties . But could paint it / lag it if true .

7 hours ago, andyscotland said:

Spot on. BCO will be plenty happy with it fitted internally, just can’t be outside above ground.

@Thorfun Get over the mix / match of underground fittings as you’ll be needing some. That branch, the one tight against the basement  wall, needs to be a Y branch not a T branch, with a 135o single socket 45 into it to collect the bottom of the ‘drop’ from above. That’ll put the brown dolphins and they’re associated paperwork travelling in the right direction for sure ;) . You wont be able to change to a rest bend as you’ll still need the rear open socket from the Y branch to pick up the second incoming foul pipe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Not sure about it’s UV properties . But could paint it / lag it if true .

People!?

It matters not one jot what colour it is…… It’s never going to be the first part of the guided tour when Auntie Mabel comes to visit with the twins ffs :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Spot on. BCO will be plenty happy with it fitted internally, just can’t be outside above ground.

@Thorfun Get over the mix / match of underground fittings as you’ll be needing some. That branch, the one tight against the basement  wall, needs to be a Y branch not a T branch, with a 135o single socket 45 into it to collect the bottom of the ‘drop’ from above. That’ll put the brown dolphins and they’re associated paperwork travelling in the right direction for sure ;) . You wont be able to change to a rest bend as you’ll still need the rear open socket from the Y branch to pick up the second incoming foul pipe.

ok, so I can leave all the above pipework as is and just change it to a 135° branch coming straight down? don't need to relocate the above pipework to rest bend on to the horizontal?

image.thumb.jpeg.7035be7223f82829c22c4fcb12c90b67.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

01775D37-7FF0-448B-AE05-8BAEDA0ADDB1.thumb.jpeg.277b9d74df28f6d66faa4702a6dce3f2.jpeg

That one ideally needs to be the same, with a Y branch and a 45 going in to it.

Edited as I was looking at the same pic twice lol. More coffee required…… :S 

ok, understood. can you please explain to me the benefits of using 135° over the 92.5° branches? and also where you would use each? I ask as SF don't stock the 135° branches and I would've thought that they would stock the most used components so would've thought the 135° branches would be little used!

Edited by Thorfun
typo

ok, so I can leave all the above pipework as is and just change it to a 135° branch coming straight down? don't need to relocate the above pipework to rest bend on to the horizontal?

Yup.

135 is a Y branch 92.5 is a T branch. T branches are used in vertical pipework where gravity promotes direction of flow, Y branches everywhere else where velocity is the only thing keeping the brown dolphins moving as they should.

C7DA73A2-F61A-493D-878A-5AAF4E59CF5A.jpeg.235d7230c235b68a48f71bf34e67cc7e.jpeg

Is this junction in a habitable room? If so, it’ll need a serious bit of sound deadening. 

Edited by Nickfromwales
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I ask as SF don't stock the 135° branches and I would've thought that they would stock the most used components so would've thought the 135° branches would be little used!

although, I guess I could use the terracotta 135° branches, right? https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-push-fit-45-triple-socket-equal-junction-110mm/14112

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

135 is a Y branch 92.5 is a T branch. T branches are used in vertical pipework where gravity promotes direction of flow, Y branches everywhere else where velocity is the only thing keeping the brown dolphins moving as they should.

so, should the the branches where the WC enters be 135° branches as well then? I've used 92.5° branches.

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

C7DA73A2-F61A-493D-878A-5AAF4E59CF5A.jpeg.235d7230c235b68a48f71bf34e67cc7e.jpeg

Is this junction in a habitable room? If so, it’ll need a serious bit of sound deadening. 

no, that's a cupboard in the entrance hall

image.thumb.png.8bfec3d72748030490b95602077a118e.png

but will be stuffing it with Rockwool anyway and maybe that Killmat stuff you mentioned previously.

4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. Typically only available in the underground range. Get 2 as you’ll need to do the upstream one as well.

I might get 3 and change that 92.5° bend with access point to a 135° branch as you previously suggested you'd do differently.

(photo in case you've forgotten! 😉

IMG_4376.jpeg.dce043bfbccc4efcae3df3b3a2a2460c.jpeg

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

My two pence worth. 

If it’s a fight between MVHR and SOIL. 

Soil wins, unclip the mvhr and drag it out the way. 

Soil in first mvhr will fit around it, it’s only moving air. 

yeah, I have been doing this in certain places where possible with the 92mm rigiduct. but those massive intake/exhaust metal ducting can't be moved. at least not without major upheaval!

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

People!?

It matters not one jot what colour it is…… It’s never going to be the first part of the guided tour when Auntie Mabel comes to visit with the twins ffs :D 

Depends, as kids my recollection of every visit to my granda's house was as soon as grandma had given us tea and cake he'd take us somewhere (usually the utility room) to see the latest bit of plumbing he'd done/changed 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1