Arty farty people wanted.

Russell griffiths

837F0B24-D8AF-419C-A89B-DA8CA3F17000.thumb.png.90d72fa7b540450da38675eb1fc4cccc.png

so we sort of have our hearts set on a light like this, however if you can see the price you will see that’s a bit ridiculous. 

So im going to make it myself. 

Im after a collection of ideas on how to actually do the build, but also what are the legal implications of making a light fitting. 

I can obviously get a qualified electrician to wire it up, but is that enough. 

Using off the shelf certificated parts would be a start. 

Anybody want to join in on this crazy journey 

@Onoff I’m sure this is up your street mate, not like you have much else to do 🤣 @pocster you can just sit in the background as anything technical you say will just be ignored, you are allowed to add insults and inappropriate pictures though. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

24 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

you are allowed to add insults and inappropriate pictures though. 

image.png.5e395bc220bfe13dfa9f30fee0a792db.png

Is that Buffalo Bill, spreader of syphilis thoughout the native Americans?

Anything from a Hooters would do me.

Cowgirls lampshade cowboy 15cm 20cm 25cm 30cm Country & image 1

Edited by SteamyTea

11 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

With the pound being so strong against the dollar why don't you just buy it you tight git?  With duty, VAT and shipping you will still see change from £10k.  You really can't put a price on a longhorn motif lampshade!

Can you imagine the shipping, just thinking of the duty gives me a shudder. 

One option might be to explore LED strip - it would give a more even light than the individual lamps in that photo which IMO would look better. And as it's extra-low voltage and cold running avoids any safety/legal issues.

If you want to do it with individual lamps, from an electrical POV so long as you use off-the-shelf fittings designed to be exposed e.g. batten lampholders, and keep all wiring connections inside the fittings, there's no real legal/regs issue. It's not that different from making up a table lamp, or e.g. replacing a pendant lampholder with a new one/a different fitting, both of which are things anyone can do. If you want to get an electrician to check it over you can, or just stick to 12V e.g. halogen capsules or similar.

If the frame is metal then in theory if you use enclosed lampholders you don't need to earth it but I probably would.

The bigger safety thing is probably fire, multiple lamps enclosed in a box can get pretty warm, less so with low-energy but even still. It'd just be a case of having some ventilation (holes in bottom and top) and a reasonable distance between lamps and surfaces.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, andyscotland said:

...there's no real legal/regs issue. 

As it would be a bespoke piece of limited run there are no regs, certainly no legal issues.

Any unskilled person can make a panel or machine or light.

In this case, technically the minimum requirement would be a PAT test. Most don't bother. Install it and then do a circuit test and earth check. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

so we sort of have our hearts set on a light like this, however if you can see the price you will see that’s a bit ridiculous. 

Im after a collection of ideas on how to actually do the build, but also what are the legal implications of making a light fitting. 

@Onoff I’m sure this is up your street mate, not like you have much else to do 🤣 @pocster you can just sit in the background as anything technical you say will just be ignored, you are allowed to add insults and inappropriate pictures though. 

PM sent. 

4 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

837F0B24-D8AF-419C-A89B-DA8CA3F17000.thumb.png.90d72fa7b540450da38675eb1fc4cccc.png

I think squirrels would look better, personally.

Just now, Kelvin said:

You need to ‘animate’ that so that it spins round with cowboy lassoing the steed. 

Damn, beat me to it. I was thinking much the same thing. Reminded me of a Hotel I once stayed at in Bournemouth which had lampshades depicting Western style 'Iron Horse' trains with a heat-driven spinning disc over the bulbs that made a smoke effect. Was only about 9 years old at the time. Loved it.

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Sucky fu##y 10 dollar

I was going to post that, but thought it a step too far.

@Kelvin and @Radian have the right idea about something spinning, seen one to and it was fun.

I am sure with a cheap projector, a mirror and some acrylic sheet, something different could be projected onto it and look impressive.

4 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Because the house has a mountain lodge, cowboy theme running through it. 

Are you serious? I think you will tire yourself out of the theme very quickly. It’s like Disney land, or a themed restaurant. Great for a short period of time, but you wouldn’t want to spend all your holidays in Disneyland or have all your meals in the same themed restaurant.

I've seen some hideous, tasteless carp but this is right up there! 😂

Reminds me of the fake western tat at the theme hotel I stayed in at Disneyland Paris. 

However...ever willing to help a fool part with his money...going to post on the mig welding forum for thoughts. 

The cutting out of the shapes, assuming you can find suitable graphics would be a doddle for one of the lads over there with a fibre laser. It would then need rolling into a hoop and tacking together. Only bit I'm thinking of "how to" would be the opaque section.

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1