Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

8 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Ermm,  for the record , before BH runs out of disk space, this thread started on  May 31, 2016. Just sayin.....

Perhaps we should consider having a whip round for MrsOnOff?

13th March 2015 I first asked on eBuild about digging up tbe bathroom floor. Jeremy was the first responder.....maybe he should have ignored me! :)

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

13th March 2015 I first asked on eBuild about digging up tbe bathroom floor. Jeremy was the first responder.....maybe he should have ignored me! :)

Thank you.

I thought my build was going slow, but I have built my entire house in that time!!!!!1

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

Probably better off just giving her a whip ?

It will never happen. He wont allow it to be bought and will first need to design it in CAD then make it (one day). :D

In fairness though @Onoff is very familiar with WIP (Work In Progress).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Onoff said:

Was the previous bathroom complete by the time you dug it up?

36 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

When he said dig, I always thought he meant it was an archaeological dig so the previous bathroom must have pre-dated indoor plumbing.

40 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

NOT guilty! Anything's better than how it was, solid concrete floor 60mm too high, damp too with DPC issues. Ceiling sloping, 6" higher one end.

P1210068

I will concede however that you could at least have a sh!t in it! :)

8 hours ago, ProDave said:

Thank you.

I thought my build was going slow, but I have built my entire house in that time!!!!!1

My sole purpose on here is to make the rest of you feel good about yourselves! :)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PeterW said:

It has Geberit laser engraved in it...??

Just watched the YouTube video tbh and it does have a clever sticky out plastic assembly on the back.

At about 6 mins in:

Still think I could make one out of an old st/st door kick plate! :)

The Geberit wall drain arrived. So...I thought I'd get back to figuring the outside drains! :)

Started to Kango up the old footings. Nearly at the fence and no sign of the footing turning a corner. The concrete's also full of fence wire! :(

20170715_111519

20170715_165929

20170715_170012

Wish I had a digger.

• Like 1

Here's hoping I've enough solvent cement on these 3 joints! Couldn't get much of a "twist" on the grey to brown.  More of a load up the male, a quick smear on the female and push ' em together:

2017-07-16_04-47-01

Hence the excess - I tried to wipe off with some IPA.

10 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Get your hose pipe with the spray head on it. Set the spray to shower / mist and shove it down the first bend. Push it in, an inch every minute and that'll spray it top to bottom on each joint. ;)

Yep remember you said that a while back and I got a hose spray specifically. Christ knows what to do if it does leak! It was a git sliding it all in from the left with the brown / grey joint wetted up with solvent. Had to have the bottom bracket on the blue frame half on then sort of jiggle it all in.

Edited by Onoff

6 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup solvent welding 4" soil isn't for the feint-hearted. 

On the two grey/grey joints I've even run pvc solvent filler (that expensive stuff in a tube someone said to get) almost like a weld fillet after the main joint had set. Same on the brown/grey on the half I can get to.

Was even debating on the brown/grey a few wraps of amalgamating tape then expanding foam around the lot...

Thinking about it the Hozelock POS spray nozzle I bought broke, it's cr@p. Avoid. Has a button you can hardly push and varies the spray pattern on its own from where it's set. Think I know where the bits are so should take it back really.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hozelock-hose-nozzle-plus/5806t#product_additional_details_container

14 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Get your hose pipe with the spray head on it. Set the spray to shower / mist and shove it down the first bend. Push it in, an inch every minute and that'll spray it top to bottom on each joint. ;)

Or just pressure test the drain run like everyone else?

16 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Or just pressure test the drain run like everyone else?

Other end of that brown soil comes into this branch.

SAM_4279

Picking up a no name spray set for £3.99 to shove down the Geberit end. Just got to make sure it's not the one the kids use for water fights!

Followed Mr @Nickfromwales instructions (going back months :) ) and all seems to be good on the solvent welded soil. Even ref the brown soil pipe. Did NOT think the spray nozzle was going to get around this fitting. I tried it actually in the bathroom first but found getting the right spray pattern then fighting to get it round the corner was messy and there was some stinky "blow back". So had a dry run with spare bits:

SAM_5746

Needs a nudge when the hose is on:

SAM_5749

What I found easiest was to set the wanted spray pattern in the garden then turn off at the tap. Then drag the hose in still set on that pattern and jiggle into the pipe. This way there's no worry of water going everywhere. Then and only then did I turn the tap back on:

SAM_5751