Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

I'm no expert, but I've always just tightened them up as they are, and I have a fair few fittings like this around.  

If it's inaccessible I sometimes change the rubber washer for a fibre one, but that's only because of one experience I had years ago where an almost impossible to get to tap connector developed a leak from a perished rubber washer.  I took the view, rightly or wrongly, that a fibre washer was likely to have a longer life.  Not sure that it's worth worrying about, really, though.

I was a bit supprised to watch the Wunda underfloor heating u tube vid showing them using and advocating Ptfe tape for all joints including those with rubber o rings!!!. I like to use a little lubrication on olives and rubber o rings or washers to stop "grab".

Dancing to my own tune a bit but I've decided to eschew the Geberit wall fixings and instead use my own concoction. M10 studs Fischer resin anchored 100mm into the 9" block wall then studding connectors. Frame will thus be fixed 2 at the base, 2 up each side (into the studs)and these two into the wall behind. Going to line the old doorway behind with some 25mm EPS all the way up to keep things tidy:

20170305_215632

20170305_215653

• Like 1

Behind the wc was only ever going to be MR plasterboarded. To the right of the wc, the wet room corner was where it was to be floor to ceiling Aquaboard. I reckon that for the sake of adding a bit of 2"x2" up the stud to the right of the Aquaboard below I can use one, on end board to cover the wc frame.

2017-03-05_10-56-20

I'll put a noggin in then MR plasterboard above. Also, now I'm using the solvent weld soil fittings I don't have to worry about the collar thickness so won't have to put a packing strip on every stud! :)

I've never used the aqua panel tbh, but it's deffo a more robust solution. I'd prob be inclined to use pink grip between the AP and the stud & WC frame to ensure that everything is uniform and secured well. I used self cutting countersunk machine screws on the last ones to secure the PB to the frame, but only where the pan meets the frame. Prob OTT, but I'm always a bit paranoid when doing the wall mounted WC's. You'll know what I mean when you come to tighten the pan back :S

6 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I've never used the aqua panel tbh, but it's deffo a more robust solution. I'd prob be inclined to use pink grip between the AP and the stud & WC frame to ensure that everything is uniform and secured well. I used self cutting countersunk machine screws on the last ones to secure the PB to the frame, but only where the pan meets the frame. Prob OTT, but I'm always a bit paranoid when doing the wall mounted WC's. You'll know what I mean when you come to tighten the pan back :S

Good shout on the pink grip though it'll probably be whatever generic "sticks like" I've got as I need to start using stuff up rather than buying new.

As for screws there's these that are apparently meant for the Aquapanel:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-Aquapanel-Gold-Screws-39mm/p/224585

Don't look like they have ribs under the head for countersinking. Again, I've a load of st/st screws got from S'fix on clearance so will likely use them. The reviews however are generally in favour of the Knauf ones in the link.

32 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Good shout on the pink grip though it'll probably be whatever generic "sticks like" I've got as I need to start using stuff up rather than buying new.

As for screws there's these that are apparently meant for the Aquapanel:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-Aquapanel-Gold-Screws-39mm/p/224585

Don't look like they have ribs under the head for countersinking. Again, I've a load of st/st screws got from S'fix on clearance so will likely use them. The reviews however are generally in favour of the Knauf ones in the link.

Use the Knauf ones ..! They are coated not to rust and cut through the board without drilling. You risk shearing a st/st one unless it's top quality. They only get put in just flush with the surface of the board anyway - not like PB where you want them to pull in slightly. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

Use the Knauf ones ..! They are coated not to rust and cut through the board without drilling. You risk shearing a st/st one unless it's top quality. They only get put in just flush with the surface of the board anyway - not like PB where you want them to pull in slightly. 

Wickes it is then!

17 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I've never used the aqua panel tbh, but it's deffo a more robust solution. I'd prob be inclined to use pink grip between the AP and the stud & WC frame to ensure that everything is uniform and secured well.

As in apply the "pink grip" to the (blue) metal frame too as well as the timber studs?

17 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I used self cutting countersunk machine screws on the last ones to secure the PB to the frame, but only where the pan meets the frame. Prob OTT, but I'm always a bit paranoid when doing the wall mounted WC's. You'll know what I mean when you come to tighten the pan back :S

As in screws that go through the AP and into the metal frame?

How about this MS polymer adhesive...only 'cos I've got some?

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p89121?mkwid=sJfnABj8u_dc&pcrid=142453205744&pkw=&pmt=&product=89121&gclid=CKTElPm0wtICFaMy0wodsCgL_Q

Cheers

By the power of Fosters:

20170306_202801

20170306_203458

20170306_203512

17, 54 & 95mm standard Starrett cutters. My first rodeo doing this so happy enough. Just got to cut the rectangle out for the flush plate now!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/03/2017 at 17:35, Onoff said:

As in apply the "pink grip" to the (blue) metal frame too as well as the timber studs?

I glued packing pieces to the metal frame where the pan is bolted through to prevent the board being bent towards the frame when tightening up the bolts. IIRC it was only around 2mm gap.