Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

14 minutes ago, le-cerveau said:

@Onoff, I have had a look at the specs and they are only for the Sigma cisterns and flush plates, the Kappa's are a different size!

Yep, The older UP200 limited me on the choice of flush plates etc. The more modern cisterns have built in take off "Y" branches etc for extracting pan smells so I've had to make my own with help from on here.

Never mind. Good find though.

The irony of my hole saw saga isn't lost on me here. The 38mm DEEP Starrett when it eventually arrived wasn't big enough to clear the pipe elbow :ph34r::

20170809_182417

So it was out with the FeckitTM :)

20170809_182727

And a bit of widening:

20170809_182906

All to do this:

2017-08-09_06-38-38

Edited by Onoff

Much hacking out of PIR for clearance then an A-15 Starrett extension, an A-1 adapter then an A-19 "Oops" with a deep 38mm hole saw on! All to get this 32mm pan take off pipe in:

2017-08-10_06-23-56

20170810_181903

At least I missed the water pipe this time in the loft:

20170810_182052

Edited by Onoff

So the time has come when I've run out of excuses why not to board this over! Well, at least the lower half as I'm not sure what's happening pocket wise above the wc until I ping the laser round.

Just got to wait until the foam goes off and cut it all flush! I've a nice draught coming down from the loft now if i put my hand in through the flush plate!

2017-08-10_07-24-52

24 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

have you got a cat?

If it can dig it's way up through 2' of clay and flint then shift the pallet SWMBO insist I laid over the grave "in case the foxes dig her up", then escaping being boarded in behind a wall mount wc will be child's play. It can even have my lager.

2017-08-10_08-20-11

Let's not forget the whole reanimation issue!

• Like 1

So I used Sika EBT where the ply was going onto the (blue) Geberit frame and Gorilla glue where the ply was going onto the timber studs. Worked out so I missed bolts and screws affixing the studwork to the walls. Plasterboard screws used ply to timber and self drill ply to Geberit frame:

20170812_145230

20170812_155111

Seems to have gone on nice, solid and level:

2017-08-12_06-17-12

Got to put the Aquapanel on next. Now I've aimed, when I've done my studwork, to put a (green) VCL over them before the plasterboard. This for draught proofing. I was going to cover the ply above in VCL then screw the Aquapanel on. The alternative is ditch the VCL here, apply Sika EBT to the ply and screw the Aquapanel straight to the ply. Of course the Sika won't stick too well to the VCL.

2017-08-12_06-29-12

Any thoughts please? Cheers.

35 minutes ago, CC45 said:

Not possible to tape the joints? Looking good.

Sorry,  tape what joints, where the mr (green) plaster board butts up to the Aquapanel in the corner do you mean?

Thinking about it the wet room corner will be 3 Aqua panels high and that will only be straight onto studs so I might as well put the membrane on and just rely on the Knauf Aquapanel screws.

If the boards are ply with vcl on top of them and then plasterboard - why not tape the joints in the ply & save the hassle of vcl?  I think I would be happy to rely on the panels without the vcl.

15 minutes ago, CC45 said:

If the boards are ply with vcl on top of them and then plasterboard - why not tape the joints in the ply & save the hassle of vcl?  I think I would be happy to rely on the panels without the vcl.

Would certainly be easier in this particular area where I'd like a solid"er than a solid thing type fix between back of the Aquapanel and face of the ply.

Above the ply where the Celotex is will eventually be (mois.res.) pb with a "pocket" let in. To the right, right up to the internal corner will be Aquapanel, floor to ceiling continuing around the corner and with pockets on the same wall as the wc but not the return wall. I was going to put a chamfered corner in but think it will be hassle getting the wall drain in as well...so I'll probably put a chamfered corner in! :)

20170813_200855

14 minutes ago, CC45 said:

5mm is quite wide - more of a floor tile spacing, I normally do 3 or 4mm for wall tiles.

Never done wall tiles myself. I've carefully chased a few out in kitchens for wiring etc (and replaced) but never tiled a wall from scratch. Did one small area of Wickes floor tiles in the early 90s but left the grouting to the missus. When they eventually do come the tiling questions will be thick 'n fast!

Edited by Onoff

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

I had it in my head to go with 5mm grout (white) lines. Too thick with this size tile?

?

2 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

Nick will be along but I'd bet 2 or 3mm max for tile spacing ?

?

5mm spacers should be abolished. Yuk. 

@Onoff, haven't you got a 'mosaic tile' going in? If so it'll have a pre-determined grout line, most prob 3mm. ?

38 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

5mm spacers should be abolished. Yuk. 

@Onoff, haven't you got a 'mosaic tile' going in? If so it'll have a pre-determined grout line, most prob 3mm. ?

Just checked. The "mosaic", tiles, again 400x250, have 5mm pseudo grout lines. :(

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Just checked. The "mosaic", tiles, again 400x250, have 5mm pseudo grout lines. :(

Maybe I should be more subtle ?

They're prob more like 4mm, with the wider appearance created by the rolled / radius'd edge of the tile that it's trying to mimic. Maybe put a couple of tiles down with blue tack and fit 3mm spacers, grout them and have a look. Clean them off before it cures. 

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The tiles he has are the large format mosaic-effect tiles with dummy grout lines pre-inserted. You don't even grout over them. 

Bit early in the morning for me! I'll have to read it more carefully next time.

I've just finished this bathroom....

image.thumb.jpeg.3af3646cbbaed500b5075eab9a5105e4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7bec3f5a34d5abf83c9bfacfc9e2715b.jpeg

As its rectified edge porcelain, I used 2mm spacers. Was really peeved when I found every other floor tile had a 1-2mm 'hump' in the middle of each 600mm edge :(. Had to sit tiles alongside each other, dry, to ascertain which 'complimented' each other best prior to sticking them down, numbering them accordingly for reference. What an absolute bastard of a floor to lay.

Grade 5 porcelain and a brand new £68 Rubi blade in my radial wet saw didn't last the job out. Not a single tile in that room would cut on my £360 Rubi scribe and snap cutter. Every cut, wet and slow. ??

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I've just finished this bathroom....

image.thumb.jpeg.3af3646cbbaed500b5075eab9a5105e4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7bec3f5a34d5abf83c9bfacfc9e2715b.jpeg

As its rectified edge porcelain, I used 2mm spacers. Was really peeved when I found every other floor tile had a 1-2mm 'hump' in the middle of each 600mm edge :(. Had to sit tiles alongside each other, dry, to ascertain which 'complimented' each other best prior to sticking them down, numbering them accordingly for reference. What an absolute bastard of a floor to lay.

Grade 5 porcelain and a brand new £68 Rubi blade in my radial wet saw didn't last the job out. Not a single tile in that room would cut on my £360 Rubi scribe and snap cutter. Every cut, wet and slow. ??

Was it a fixed price quote ? :P