Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

3 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

I glued packing pieces to the metal frame where the pan is bolted through to prevent the board being bent towards the frame when tightening up the bolts. IIRC it was only around 2mm gap.

Doesn't look like I'll have any gap tbh. The front of the Geberit frame I've got dead flush with the face of the studs. 

There's no real "test" for this is there before the pan goes on? Just do everything "right" and hope!

27 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Chuck a bucket under the flush pipe and hold a 40mm bend over the end of it. Let it ripp and check its flushing ok. ?

Good shout ref the cistern side. I was more meaning the what will be hidden soil pipes with the (in my case) multiple solvent joints.

Garden hose with the attachment on fine mist spray. Feed it down from the bog side past all the 45's etc and pull it slowly back leaving it run at the outlet for a good 10 mins after. 

The narrow hozelock spray head before you say you can't get the pistol one down there ;) :P

The sticky out Geberit box thing the flush plate goes on.....is it just a case of careful measuring then cut a rectangle in the cement board to suit as close as and you snap off the exess projecting box later once you've tiled?

2017-03-27_07-02-25

Or should I leave say a 3mm nom gap all round in the cement board?

Cheers

Reading @jack's nightmare post ref his tiles had made me question my own potential movement issues:

Worried first about the Geberit frame flexing/moving. I've put timber studwork in at nom. 503mm inside to inside. To affix the top of the Geberit frame I've put a length of Unistrut, Fischer resined with 5 M10 studs.

20170402_150019

Theoretically with those 3 additional studs in the centre even if the outer two fail the frame should hold.

20170402_150801

All 5 studs btw go in about 100mm into the 9" blocks where I blocked a doorway up. VERY roughly rendered as I've had some to use up:

SAM_2592

(Lining the old doorway with 25mm EPS offcuts just to keep everything tidy).

So, assuming the resin studs hold there's also 2 bolt holes each side in the blue frame. These measure 10x9mm. The coach screws I have are 8mm. Worried about movement there:

20170402_150828

20170402_150952

They actually go in from the other direction, this just to show the "slop". Wondering whether to drill out and up to M10 coach screws:

20170402_150850

Will they really do anything at M8?

Then, the vertical timber studs: The whole stud wall is a big, tapered stud wall hung from the ceiling joists. The stud wall itself is tapered too. The first stud is 100mm and the last 145mm deep. This was to square the room off. This is looking down on the gap where the old doorway was / the wc is going:

20170402_145816

The studs are generally affixed using concrete screws but where the wc goes I've doubled up with M10 stuff, again resin anchored. All studs are foamed behind. (Pretty sure that in itself offers some security).

20170402_151228

If the studs should dry out over time I worry about the (timber) stud moving about the M10 stud. Each position is counterbored and affixed with a fr washer, spring washer and full nut. 

The reason for this "worry" as I say is Jack's issues. Next the Aquapanel. Knauf say to use their 40mm screws at 250mm centres. Seems too far apart to me?

20170402_151122

Do these self drill?

Edited by Onoff

Don't use self drillers. Pilot with a drill bit ( sacrificial one ) and countersink as per @PeterStarck's comment. S/S fixings. 

Dont cause any distress to the board by forcing fixings through it as that will compromise each attempt at securing the board and make fitting it pointless. 

I'm still a PB fan, and not lost a patient yet. :P

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Don't use self drillers. Pilot with a drill bit ( sacrificial one ) and countersink as per @PeterStarck's comment. S/S fixings. 

Dont cause any distress to the board by forcing fixings through it as that will compromise each attempt at securing the board and make fitting it pointless. 

I'm still a PB fan, and not lost a patient yet. :P

You're at odds there with @PeterW. back on 6 Mar he said:

"Use the Knauf ones ..! They are coated not to rust and cut through the board without drilling. You risk shearing a st/st one unless it's top quality. They only get put in just flush with the surface of the board anyway - not like PB where you want them to pull in slightly."

So I bought Knauf ones! They look pretty good tbh. St/st was my first choice I'll admit. The load of on clearance ones I got from S'fix are pretty good but I have stripped a few heads under high torque. It was just the 250mm centres Knauf reckon seemed too much.

Got the offcut from the flush sleeve I'm going to go and try affixing to a stud!

Sorry but I go with the manufacturer fittings on this - the Knauf ones are pretty impressive as they only barely cut in and were designed for the job .... structurally you are weakening the board drilling a pilot if its larger then the screw thread ..!

Im afraid I'm with Nick on this one. Pilot it first but make the pilot only as large as the shank of the screw e.g the threads will still bite into the board. issue with not piloting and countersinking is there will be times where you end up drilling out the stud with the screw trying to sink the head.

6" centres sounds plenty close enough to me

Not fussed about the S/S part if I'm honest, if the manufacturer says the Knauf screws are fine that would be good enough for me. 

also worth noting that you want to make sure the board is hard against the stud when you start. as there is no bare shank on that screw they won't "pull in" very well

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Sorry but I go with the manufacturer fittings on this - the Knauf ones are pretty impressive as they only barely cut in and were designed for the job .... structurally you are weakening the board drilling a pilot if its larger then the screw thread ..!

Yup, which is why you buy the right size drill bit ;) 9_9

2 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

worth noting that you want to make sure the board is hard against the stud when you start. as there is no bare shank on that screw they won't "pull in" very well

That's teferred to as 'jacking', where the threads grab the board on the way through and the screw tip hits the joist. It takes the screw a couple of revolutions to penetrate the timber and start biting, but those couple of revs have then lifted ( jacked ) the board away from the joist leaving a gap between the two. Unawares, the person driving the screw home assumes that when the screw head snugs into the board the fixing is complete, but actually the board is held away slightly with only the thread of the screw holding the board in place. Simply leaning against the board would be enough to lose that purchase ( tearing the board from the screw thread ) and start the board moving freely between the head of the screw and the face of the timber. 

Thats when the ? hits the fan.