Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I can't see the point tbh. The flush pipe isn't cold enough for long enough to get condensation, and the cistern already has an eps jacket. 

Half thinking that long horizontal soil comes in from the 110mm Y branch on the outside, North facing wall. It might be a "cold" spot in there?

@Nickfromwales.....that went well.....NOT! :o

20170731_141838

OK, the ad hoc plastic bag wasn't ever going to cope with the deluge and I don't think I had the ducting off cut pushed far enough around the soil bend but the fill wouldn't shut off. Do these internals look alright to you? I am btw running it straight off of the un-PRedV'd outside tap.

20170731_141852

20170731_141907

It kept filling the the "over spill" went down the flush pipe. No signs of it stopping. Or did I panic and it would have stopped?

Going to take the spare Geberit frame out into the garden and have a play with it there where I can make a mess!

Edited by Onoff

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Turn the thumbscrew on the float and lower it all the way, then try again. Don't blow them both up with your 10 bar fire hydrant ?

Me being a wuss I think! :ph34r:

Tried the other frame in the garden, ratchet strapped to a brick pillar and it all worked a treat. Took the float from the installed, suspect one and fitted to the second frame, That worked fine too. SWMBO impressed with the quietness of it all, rapidity of refilling etc. Don't think she'll stomach crapping against a brick pillar in the garden for too long though :)

Little vid:

20170731_160930

Edited by Onoff

That's enough for tonight! :)

20170802_193845

Filled up the cistern to what I assume is the 9L mark (I dipped the Sharpie in to colour it a bit). If no leaks tomorrow I might start covering it up...might that is...

2017-08-02_09-43-23

5 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Get it covered up ;). Those things are bombproof :)

What (& where) was the "washer" issue on these I seem to recall in the dim and distant? Something went brittle?

An age old problem with earlier models. Nothing to worry about on these. ;). It was Temp who highlighted that problem as he had issues with his ones, but they were also the 'cistern only' models, not the framed one that you have, and the issue was the outlet of the cistern where the flush pipe connected at the bottom. That was a choice of friction only, over o-rings, or the old plastic nut and black rubber 'olive' washer. 

"Stand down red alert" :)

• Like 1

Now then..."blue stuff"...

My missus likes to lift the cistern lid on the existing wall mount WCs and shove in some magic liquid / tablet that makes the water turn blue when you flush.

With the concealed Geberit frame that's clearly not an option unless she keeps taking the flush plate off I'm thinking. 

So...as I've engineered in access from the adjacent cupboard to get to the flexible connector:

20170325_115620

And that I've overcome my fear of drilling the cistern to fit an MVHR take off:

20170722_092015

What's the collective thoughts to maybe fitting another pipe / tube into the top of the cistern where she could squirt down "blue stuff" from within the cupboard to dose the cistern?

Don't do it. 

Any such residue will start collecting on the flush seal rubber and start causing problems. If you want to squirt anything, squirt it straight into the pan. 

If it's a marriage breaker then crack on and live with possibly having to periodically strip and clean it ( as per the video I linked ) which doesn't exactly take long. 

Maybe a good idea now to find that seal as a part number and get 2 now. 

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Don't do it. 

Any such residue will start collecting on the flush seal rubber and start causing problems. If you want to squirt anything, squirt it straight into the pan. 

If it's a marriage breaker then crack on and live with possibly having to periodically strip and clean it ( as per the video I linked ) which doesn't exactly take long. 

Maybe a good idea now to find that seal as a part number and get 2 now. 

We have very hard water anyway so I'm half expecting future issues. I can have a look see on the spare frame as to what washer is already fitted.

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/heating/water-treatment/scale-reducer/

Anyone got any feedback on these types of things ? @JSHarris, any snake oil here? Ta. 

@Onoff. Go find your daughters cutest, fluffiest, softest cuddly toy.....

Cos that's how soft my water is. :P

( Never had to fit one other than a job in oxford but that was a full on softener for a whole house ).

Da iawn :)

8 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/heating/water-treatment/scale-reducer/

Anyone got any feedback on these types of things ? @JSHarris, any snake oil here? Ta. 

@Onoff. Go find your daughters cutest, fluffiest, softest cuddly toy.....

Cos that's how soft my water is. :P

( Never had to fit one other than a job in oxford but that was a full on softener for a whole house ).

Da iawn :)

As a kid I remember having baths in a pub in Crickhowell. My parents friends ran it. Must have been early 70's. Pretty soft and bubbly I seem to recall compared to what we were used to.

Pseudo wc for testing purposes. Works a treat!

20170803_164637

The cistern then had been filled to the 9L mark for about 24hrs. No sign of any leaks. Tbh I can't see how it could:

20170803_155810

I noted though that when I removed the smaller, yellow bung to fit the flush pipe some water came out. Not a lot but a little bit. Does that suggest something is letting by? Or could it have been water in there from previous playing?

1 hour ago, le-cerveau said:

Geberit do an insert for the flush-plate that allows you to put blocks in the cistern:

5987076102a39_Geberitin-cistern-Block.thumb.png.14417746d455578a147c3c8407acdc56.png

Stops constant removing of the flush-plate, just tilt and insert the block.

Really like the idea but not sure if it's available for the UP200 cistern with Kappa 20 flush plate?