Solar Thermal From Scrap...AGAIN!

Onoff

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Copper would be maybe no good if you meant soldering to make watertight? Temperatures can get too high. More of an issue on the pipe joints I guess if a pressurised system where they can soften and burst.

Alright, S/S although you don't see many of those in the junkyard!

I was just thinking the indirect coil connections could be made off with compression fittings on both sides and the cylinder beaten flat(ish) to make into flashing.

Brazing is useful though, got a carbon arc jig? One came with my stick welder and TBH it gets more use than the sticks. Especially good for rusty car bodywork.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

It's all compressions on the panels I have here.

I think I read that you have to use all compression with the high pressure and high temperature. I'm sure someone will correct me....

8 hours ago, Marvin said:

I think I read that you have to use all compression with the high pressure and high temperature. I'm sure someone will correct me....

I think yu are right.  Sensible to do it with compressions anyway when DIYing.

9 hours ago, Marvin said:

Funnily enough it was mentioned exactly 5 years ago  by SteamyTea in this very thread.

4 minutes ago, joth said:

Funnily enough it was mentioned exactly 5 years ago  by SteamyTea in this very thread.

Only exactly because it is a leap year.

I heard it from a fitter about 15 years ago.  Not sure which day though.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Onoff said:

He'll likely be repeating himself in another 5 years!

Yep, same old record.

When you hit on a winning formula, why change.

I chose my own clothes back in the 1970's, stuck with them though all the cyclical fashion fad.

Same with my kitchen.  Been the bees knees at least twice now.

• 1 month later...

Started looking at getting the 3 thermal panels on the roof at last. I went to get brackets a while back and they had sold out. A couple of photos and questions then.

Just been out and took a tile off:

IMG_20220618_094231911

It's nom 55mm to the peak:

IMG_20220618_094311413

& 25mm to the recess:

IMG_20220618_094326204

This typical bracket drawing shows adjustment from 44 to 54mm. I presume that bit sits down on the tile? In my case it wants to be more like 25mm though.

Do you groove the tile so this bit of the bracket sits flush and doesn't lift the tile?

Screenshot_20220618-094845

I can get 6 of these brackets local, could they be made to fit?

31830928_s-l400(1).jpg.898c498697b859a4dbc7e08277ae1397.jpg

s-l400.jpg.8ea5f22d2f7aa070585ab0953ec335d2.jpg

I missed this thread somehow . I think the biblical bathroom saga took my Will to live away . As I have now found this thread I’ll just post a pointless comment to help keep it moving for another few years .

• Haha 1

Hi @Onoff

It's unlikely that the vertical frame edges of the solar panels will line up exactly with the joist spacings.

To overcome the problem of fixing the brackets to the frames, either install horizontal rails in-between the panels and the brackets, or install noggjns in-between the joists under the roofing felt.

M

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

Hi @Onoff

It's unlikely that the vertical frame edges of the solar panels will line up exactly with the joist spacings.

To overcome the problem of fixing the brackets to the frames, either install horizontal rails in-between the panels and the brackets, or install noggjns in-between the joists under the roofing felt.

M

Thanks but it wasn't what I was getting at / concerned about 😂

I'm not fussed about the brackets lining up with the frame edges. Appreciate it's the rails the frames go on.

My biggest worry / misunderstanding, is how the bracket section that comes from the the angle (that screws to the joist) goes under the tile above. Surely, unless you grind a groove in one or both tiles it'll keep the tile above "up", then be a route in for weather, insects, even vermin?

1 is how I see it without modding the tiles, 2 being the ideal:

2022-06-18_07-49-58

1655577130351-1381179.jpg

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Thanks but it wasn't what I was getting at / concerned about 😂

I'm not fussed about the brackets lining up with the frame edges. Appreciate it's the rails the frames go on.

My biggest worry / misunderstanding, is how the bracket section that comes from the the angle (that screws to the joist) goes under the tile above. Surely, unless you grind a groove in one or both tiles it'll keep the tile above "up", then be a route in for weather, insects, even vermin?

1 is how I see it without modding the tiles, 2 being the ideal:

2022-06-18_07-49-58

1655577130351-1381179.jpg

Vision On hasn’t improved much 

7 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

some installers grind the tiles, others don't.

I can't see how the integrity of the tiles interlocking is kept if you don't. 

You almost want a concrete "router" bit to do a neat job. 

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I can't see how the integrity of the tiles interlocking is kept if you don't. 

You almost want a concrete "router" bit to do a neat job. 

When I did my solar PV at the old house, I notched the tiles that would otherwise have rested on and be lifted up by the bracket.  Easy to do with an angle grinder.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dillsue said:

And a thin diamond disc. Renusol do a good installation video on utube for PV mounts but the roof hook detail is the same

Thanks. I've just watched it. 

Would 6 brackets be ok to support 2 rails and 3 panels d'you think?

Again local, I can get these brackets and quite a few too, for reasonable £5 each. I'm thinking might give me more cutting and shutting options. Says they're for plain tiles though?

s-l400 (2)

s-l400 (3)

11 hours ago, Dillsue said:

.... Renusol do a good installation video ...

I thought for a minute there you were talking about a manufacturer of an altogether different item : the one that is at the bottom of the market, as it were. There but for a vowel .... (bowel?) go I

Eye-test Monday then eh? Yeah, good idea. 

27 minutes ago, pocster said:

According to Google the sun will expire in around 8 billion years . Just wondering if you’ll get this done in time ?

That's it, constructive criticism at it's best. Your technical insights are always welcome...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Well it either will be done before or done on the day, there is nothing like a critical deadline for getting things sorted.

What do I do for the next 8 billion years waiting ?