Solar Thermal From Scrap...AGAIN!

Onoff

21 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Just live with that pain in your left hand side diodes - what else. I would be more worried about your pension planning holding out.

Don’t have a pension so that’s an issue . Will check my diodes later .

Picked up the 14 stainless brackets earlier. At a fiver each, new old stock, I had to.

I'll need to cut and shut to get them to sit down on the bottom tile:

IMG_20220621_204307541

18mm at the top, 16mm at the bottom:

IMG_20220621_204320122

Rough plan is something like this and lop off the top L bit:

IMG_20220621_163647465

7 hours ago, Onoff said:

To show how far off the tile the bracket is.

Is it sitting on a rafter? Can you move the bracket to the left to get it between rafters? Then fit a noggin internally at a lower level to get rid of the packers and have the metal on the tile. 

38 minutes ago, Miek said:

Is it sitting on a rafter? Can you move the bracket to the left to get it between rafters? Then fit a noggin internally at a lower level to get rid of the packers and have the metal on the tile. 

It's sitting on a rafter. Can't see the point of the noggin idea. It's not done like that.

9 hours ago, Onoff said:

To show how far off the tile the bracket is.

Right, so presumably you're going to enlarge or re drill the hole in the bottom section (the bit that screws to the joist) to bring the bracket down flat onto the tile?

When you chop the roof hook dont have it resting on the tile but a few mm clear of the tile. The hook transfers the weight of the array plus wind/snow load through to the rafters. If the hook rests on the tile or can flex onto it, all the load goes through the tile with a fair chance the tile will break.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Radian said:

Right, so presumably you're going to enlarge or re drill the hole in the bottom section (the bit that screws to the joist) to bring the bracket down flat onto the tile?

I don't think it's feasible to re-drill. There's not the meat plus when I trim to lower it, I'll end up with the slot open at the bottom. More likely a cut and shut job something like this:

1655891021392-1786872990.jpg

Edited by Onoff

I would think it's worth customising as much as possible, so the welded solution is good. Bearing in mind what @Dillsue mentioned you could also redo the bend to bring the cranked end closer to the tile above the bracket so reducing the leverage that will tend to push it down onto the face of the tile below (it looks to be around 40mm too long). 

In the sketch you show the vertical adjustment slot for the rail being cut off. If you loose that adjustment your rail has to follow the contour of the roof which could be all over the place. Might be worth running a string line across the roof in a few places to check its flat otherwise you might want to keep the adjustment??

Recently fitted an array to my daughters house and with the outer hooks set lowest and those on the middle of the roof set highest, there was still a sag in the rail. Fortunately it wasnt obvious from the ground but you could still see the sag. Not sure who built the roof but they should have gone to Specsavers!

3 minutes ago, Dillsue said:

In the sketch you show the vertical adjustment slot for the rail being cut off. If you loose that adjustment your rail has to follow the contour of the roof which could be all over the place. Might be worth running a string line across the roof in a few places to check its flat otherwise you might want to keep the adjustment??

Recently fitted an array to my daughters house and with the outer hooks set lowest and those on the middle of the roof set highest, there was still a sag in the rail. Fortunately it wasnt obvious from the ground but you could still see the sag. Not sure who built the roof but they should have gone to Specsavers!

Washers! 😂

• 3 weeks later...

I just can't catch a break!

I got a good deal on an expansion tank, pump and solar thermal controls on Gumtree. Chap collected for me and was holding onto it until a mate down here visits rellies near Edinburgh.

He's just messaged to say given the cost of fuel he's now going to bus/ train it up rather than drive. 

:(