Jump to content

Tennentslager

Members
  • Posts

    1464
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    7

Everything posted by Tennentslager

  1. Not enough solar available at this time of year for my 125Ah leisure battery so bought a trickle charger 4Amp and brought the battery home for an overnight charge. Took it back to the Hut and wired it back up to the charge controller and it's now reading 1.2v? Previously it was 11.8v so how have I managed to sook the juice out of the battery instead of putting more in?
  2. I was more interested in the IT infrastructure elements of his paper. Tele-medicine (hi def video consulting etc), tele-care (assistive technology for frail/elderly people) and redeployment of city central IT/ call centre jobs into rural houses. Add in similar approaches to education and it's easy to see how high speed broadband can be as transformative as rail was in Victorian times. This must be a higher priority for both governments in London and Edinburgh. BTW, my 47 sq/m rural abode ( now 71m if you include balcony/outdoor space cost less than £10k and it's perfectly comfortable even without running water ? Tongue firmly in cheek, but, it can be done way cheaper than the norm if there is less regulation. Just my two-bobs worth...
  3. A gash I presume you mean...? Like my nail gun blasted thumb? Or Terry's mangled fingers? ?????
  4. This topic has been around for a while and I think weighted *naturally* by you guys that are clever and experienced self builders. Sensus is well able to stand his own ground and has a fairly *back at you* style. I'm looking forward to a rich feisty dialogue but please guys keep it measured, we all know what we know. In my line of work *learning disability* we have a saying. All of us are whole but none of us are perfect.???
  5. Particular problems need particular solutions...at least this guy has taken a stab at one...thoughts? http://www.hebrideanhomes.com/fragilehousing.html
  6. Read on another post on Ebuild that the reason behind this reg is in case of a fuel leak in the garage. So logically not much of a slope needed...10° maybe? Just a guess.
  7. Being a Glasgow boy, whose his favourite?
  8. Welcome Simon, So you're building in the Shire...what size and shape are you going for...
  9. Calm down fellas, it's the Telegraph with the sub editors favourite cover all "could" in the headline. Maybe @Stones will shed some measured opinion...
  10. Ah...but how much did you get? And what's the plan for them...don't hold back now??
  11. Yes very nice, you can party in the rental over Christmas then plan the final move after New Year festivities?
  12. I'm not sure what to make of this transformer house...bet the joiners loved him and his pulleys and moving ceilings. I do like the letterbox though and nice stonework exterior. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/dec/16/house-year-richard-murphy-edinburgh-townhouse-riba-wallace-and-gromit?client=ms-android-htc
  13. How's this for rapid construction...eh Just have some sanding and a lick of stain before moving it from the temporary position and bingo bango, first Christmas present sorted! Had a walk by visitor today , guy from Ordanance Survey out updating their data. He had a super neat tablet with high res map data. Chatted away as he showed me the layers of data they hold. Everything from individual gates (and if they are locked) to stand pipes... We had a look at my Hut, so I asked how accurate his machine was...on a mobile signal 10mm, if no mobile, satellite data is good to 50mm. Pretty impressive I thought.
  14. I got all of mine on gumtree. Average £30 a box for paslode (with gas). also used rawplug ones which we're just as good. Make sure the gas is in date, stamped on the bottom of the cylinder.
  15. TUPE transfer happened but instead of redundancy got suspended within an hour? Anyhow, have some time so got the shed under build started. Used some 5" posts and postcrete, very fast and easy to use stuff. Not so easy however digging out the roots underneath! Next decision is to either buy the cladding and joists or spend my last on Christmas presents...groan...more tat and commercialism or joinery fun.??? Well, spend £500 on timber to keep me busy...oh how I forgot the fun of working outdoors in the rain. Shed didn't look big enough so made some running adaptations, a metre here, 900 there? It's now 4.8 * 3.5m...manly shed I'd say...
  16. Resurrecting this as it's time to crack on and get it built before Christmas...can you hear me @Onoff ? I got 40 sheets of 18mm structural OSB for free and they are on site. cladding will be larch horizontal overlap style. Now, originally was going for a 4*2 frame with OSB on the outside. But I've so much OSB might double it up inside too. this being the case I could do the frame in 2*2 and save some cash...thoughts?
  17. Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-impact-hex-nut-driver-8mm/5169d?_requestid=464170
  18. Found some online...
  19. Don't have a photo but a thick block (100mm) sitting proud on the corner gives a nice clean edge and allows the horizontal boards to butt up against a nice straight edge.
  20. Hey @ryder72 How is your build going?
  21. Just back in and they are still up there but now it's dark and they are using what looks like a phone as a torch! Must be on a bonus if they finish before X Factor?
  22. Had to stop watching this from the window this morning. Brave, confident or stupid. he was over reaching too as he removed the slate.
  23. @jamiehamy if I recall, you have a big one too...
  24. There's a few good pics on my blog '£9k later' one. Mainly my vertical studs were 400 centres but this did vary below windows etc. If you make the horizontals 400 it will be solid. After all it will be these that would flex. Also , once you have your overlaps and it's all screwed/nailed tight, believe me it's all going to hold together. Why not try a metre and test it out???
  25. I have the 25mm cross battens behind my cladding and there is no flex at all. They are solid! In fact I remember someone querying your 50mm battens so put a good shoulder against mine at the weekend. Chose a bit where I knew I was between horizontal battens and it's rock solid. As the Welsh wizard says...worry ye not
×
×
  • Create New...