Temp
Members-
Posts
10690 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
43
Everything posted by Temp
-
When you need a new connection not all of it has to be done by the network owner (SP Energy). Some work they must do (non-contestable) and some you can get another company to do (contestable). https://www.spenergynetworks.co.uk/pages/what_work_can_be_done.aspx I wonder if another company would be less fussy about getting consent from the land owner? Anything like this is a risk that should be reflected in the price paid for the plot.
-
When land is split it's not always the case that both parts get rights of access over unadopted or private roads. Might be more than just the electric supply you need to think about.
-
Sorry about that I didn't spot the delivery time.
-
Dimensions are about right.. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07Z67Y9MG/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Says brass but is it all brass or part plastic? Ask?
-
Wanted: Broadband speed monitoring / logging program
Temp replied to ProDave's topic in Boffin's Corner
They have some scope to trade off speed and reliability but check the speed Vs distance graph down this page... https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2012/graph-ADSL-speed-versus-distance 5km is going to be problematic for them to guarantee any particular speed. -
Local sand blaster? That could remove the rust as well.
-
Wanted: Broadband speed monitoring / logging program
Temp replied to ProDave's topic in Boffin's Corner
Some people say particular modems are better on long distance lines but tuning them up is a hobby all of its own... https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/4544026-best-adsl-modem-for-long-line.html?page=7&fpart=all -
Wanted: Broadband speed monitoring / logging program
Temp replied to ProDave's topic in Boffin's Corner
I think you are probably close to or over the recommended max distance. In some countries they install loop repeaters to improve performance at long distance but for some reason I don't think they do that in the UK. -
Wanted: Broadband speed monitoring / logging program
Temp replied to ProDave's topic in Boffin's Corner
Can you get into the modem status pages? Things like signal to noise ratios. How long you have been connected for etc -
Building an iron age round house ?
Temp replied to Waterworks's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
When we were trying to get planning permission the planning officer started talking about how ALL new houses had to be sustainable. This was 12+ years ago. He was talking about the need to build near existing public services like doctors, schools and shops or at least have access to them by public transport. -
Caution, can't mix bentonite and soap based grease according to.. https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B001OKBHRK Q: Is 00 grease compatible with bentonite grease used on peerless walk benhine mower transmission? A: No, 00 grease is a soap based grease and Bentonite is a clay based grease. 00 can be used if transmission is disassembled and flushed out so no Bentonite grease is left otherwise incompatibility will result in transmission failure.
-
Google says it a high temperature grease that's more waterproof. Seems you can get it but as you say, it's expensive. https://www.gardentractorspares.co.uk/peerless-gearboxes-8001/801-gearbox-parts/greases-and-lubricants
-
Google says it a high temperature grease that's more waterproof. Seems you can get it... https://www.gardentractorspares.co.uk/peerless-gearboxes-8001/801-gearbox-parts/greases-and-lubricants
-
Wanted: Broadband speed monitoring / logging program
Temp replied to ProDave's topic in Boffin's Corner
I guess there are advantages to using your own modem. I've never used the one Plusnet gave me. -
To avoid the fee?
-
Wanted: Broadband speed monitoring / logging program
Temp replied to ProDave's topic in Boffin's Corner
Ok I've tried that and it does seems to work. However it looks like you need to set up separate up accounts for their monitor system and the forum as they aren't linked. I used the "Sign up now" button top right of this page to create a monitor account.. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality The user name and password I entered there lets me create a monitor and access data but doesn't let me log into the forum as I don't have an account on the forum. I dare say you can use the same user and password for both, but you have to create both yourself. -
Building an iron age round house ?
Temp replied to Waterworks's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
More than a few acres are required.. https://www.primalsurvivor.net/much-land-need-self-sufficient/ More land needed to raise money to pay council tax. Other bills might be avoidable. No electric, water, sewerage etc Would there be business rates on a smallholding? Fuel for cooking unless some trees about. -
Ebay appears to have one for £200.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/24034143521?iid=274371349823
-
Electric is about three times the cost of mains gas. So a £500 bill becomes £1500.
-
Wanted: Broadband speed monitoring / logging program
Temp replied to ProDave's topic in Boffin's Corner
M I haven't had to use it in anger for a few years but if I start program with default settings and then just set the cycle time (box top right) to 10 mins it runs a test every 10 mins. Test currently fails because I haven't configured an upload server. Ping and download works ok. -
Wanted: Broadband speed monitoring / logging program
Temp replied to ProDave's topic in Boffin's Corner
You should also check your voice call quality. I was once told that BT are better at responding to complaints about noisy lines than broadband issues. Once they fix any line problems causing noisy audio that tends to make broadband more reliable as well. There is a number you can dial to do a quiet line test. https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Performing-a-Quiet-Line-Test Obviously if its an issue with the broadband kit itself this won't help. -
Wanted: Broadband speed monitoring / logging program
Temp replied to ProDave's topic in Boffin's Corner
Perhaps try.. https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/download/internet-tools/jds-auto-speed-tester-179-3328664/ -
+1 @ProDave might correct me but if you were really stuck and couldn't replace the wire then nearest I think you can do to that set up is.. 2.5mm Ring Main -> 2.5mm wire -> 13A FCU -> 1.5mm -> single socket
-
Getting annoyed with flooring manufacturer
Temp replied to Carrerahill's topic in Wood & Laminate Flooring
Forgot to say that the prices on that web site for full tins have been good in the past. Had a few different things from them. -
Microcontroller & single board computer technology suggestions
Temp replied to dnb's topic in Boffin's Corner
You might find something ready built. Quite a few companies making small devices designed to sit on a lAN, either wired or WiFi, with sensor inputs. 8 chan, 16 bit... https://www.audon.co.uk/remote_io_controlbyweb/X418-I.html Probably cheaper devices out there.
