-
Posts
411 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
2
Everything posted by Susie
-
Looks lovely how does it cope with our weather or is that in a porch room I also see a wonderful door bell pulley. Care to share who made both. PS we got PP on Thursday 😀
-
I’m just North of Bude close to border with Devon (and joe90 and GoneWest) We haven’t got planning permission yet so can’t help with the key decisions for the builders. I live in a converted barn that was converted by the previous owner an architect who got most things right but could have done some things better. We have a light switch behind a door and another you have to reach round for and when you switch all the lights off in the evening you can’t switch them off as you walk in one direction you have to put one on then walk back and switch another off. I would do plenty of walk throughs to make sure sockets, switches and appliances are in the right place. Somethings can be changed later but can effect finishes eg plaster and decoration. Always ask questions on here, the forum members can answer most questions and we all learn by reading each other’s questions and answers. Most of all enjoy the conversion/build.
-
Looks great. We drove the NC500 this year and saw quite a few of those polytunnels you mentioned and got up close inside one to see how it was done. Yours looks great just like those but at a fraction of the cost. next project for you is half cut drain pipes along the 2 long sides to collect all that rain and and an IBC for storage. So jealous, if we ever get planning my veg plot becomes the house and garden and I have to start fresh further in to the field. I’m at the opposite end of the country but high up near the coast and also suffer from the storms so currently have a walled plot and a netted tunnel to keep the birds and butterflies out. I’d love to suggest this to HWMBO but I know the answer ‘by the time the homes built the last thing you’ll want to do is garden well be too old’
-
I have recently had to register a company for VAT and that was very efficient but both the VAT exception department and VAT cancellation are struggling to keep up with the workload the first being months behind schedule dates and later a month behind. I was told the mail room if full of scanning to get on the system, so although your individual invoices don’t get scanned I presume as all paper work get at least one digital before it’s off to the right department that’s part of the hold up. For some VAT departments you are able to see what post date they are currently working on and get an estimate of when your post date will reach the top of the pile. If anybody phones up this would be a good question to ask to help out others of the forum.
-
Welcome to the forum. I have been a member now for nearly a year and have found myself reading through posts most nights and learning so much. What part of Cornwall?
-
The dish was for things like lasagne or shepherds pie I some times use a trivet thingy to put a little space under dish as well. I have a oven type mode with bottom heat and fan on top so the dish has the heat blown around it like a fan oven but from the top rather than the rear.
-
Not the same model but our saniflow has been in over 20 years so hopefully you won’t have to mess with it when done. Looks a small neat one. Do they still advise no strong cleaning chemicals and bleach. Dread the day we need to take ours out it I know HWMBO will get plumber just because he won’t touch it.
-
I was also a bit worried about this after reading reviews but found that compared to the deep fat fryer that had the extractor on full it’s no louder but initially as it lower down than extractor and closer to you it was noticeable. After using it a while now nearly a year I don’t notice it at all. Also unlike fat fryer I’m happy to leave it unattended and be in another room just as I would with the oven.
-
It all depends on the size of dish and air fryer I can fit a 9 inch deep round tin in mine or cook in the pot without the fry basket.
-
My air fryer is a multi cooker, as well as air frying it also slow cooks, steams, pressure cooks, bakes, and more some I’ll never use like dehydrate and yoghurt settings.
-
I did look at the twin drawer one but decided as we love our meat a big lump of slow cooked pork would fill a drawer and as it’s mostly the two of us (I freeze some meat for quick meals), one layer of chips 350g and something else on top cooks well but that’s two fish not 3 you would have to layer 3 fish and turn frequently. It’s suppose to cook 500g of chips. Have a look at specific recipes in your chosen Ninja or whatever make to get a feel of what it can cook. I’ve done bread buns in it making the dough in bread machine putting half in fridge and baking 4 buns for lunch it proves and bakes nice. There’s still things I’ve not done yet like rice as I use a steamer also but glad I bought it just wish it wasn’t so big and heavy. Oh and make sure you have room to open lid I have it pulled to front of worktop because of overhead cupboards so the 2 drawer would be better but hopefully it still working when we move house and I’m not having any overhead cupboards.
-
I can’t fit chips and fish in for 3 people and mine is big. Ninja do one that’s two drawers/baskets but not sure how big.
-
I have a Ninja Foodi Max multi cooker. Originally fat fryer although old and still working was very smelly and opening windows for ventilation was too cold. Also we wanted an alternative for when Rayburn gets switched off for slow cooking. Today we had jacket potatoes for lunch, microwave first then finished on air fryer setting. Ours is not small and is heavy so now it’s left out all the time, but it gets used a lot. On our new build (still in planning) it will be in the pantry with the microwave and bread machine (that’s used every 3 days). I would make a list of what you want it to cook then find a model to that fits. We both work from home, and I try to cook most nights. But even if not cooking from scratch like tonight we had chips in the bottom and chicken Kiev on top all cooked in 23mins from frozen with no preheat. The Ninja wasn’t cheap though so need to use it to get payback on reduced energy cost. I have cooked a chicken in it for 3 people max and veg in the steamer but no Yorkshire puddings or stuffing so not a full roast.
-
Alternative broadband supplier questions
Susie replied to ProDave's topic in Networks, AV, Security & Automation
We live in a big long stone converted barn, we have good BT but bad Wi-Fi so we have quite a few TP link Deco boosters from one end of the barn to the other and down to the cellar and to the out buildings. What we can do with these is decide which devices get the priority, so would automatically compensate for when Xbox user is in on their own or your in wanting priority. They are expensive but solved our problems. Very easy to set up. You do need a router as well and if it has Wi-Fi it’s best to switch that off. -
Beginning the long journey, and lots of questions
Susie replied to Kelvasco's topic in Planning Permission
Hi @Kelvasco In order of your questions. 1. do you have a time frame for getting the permission or starting building. We are a listed building but the new build is outside the curtilage even so we thought that full plans show exactly what we wanted to build. Outline planning doesn’t always clear up problems first as planning departments change staff and if your design is not what they want in your area you could waste a lot of time doing outline first. 3. We have a shared drive for 2 properties up until 2006 it was for 3 properties so you would have thought that a new build using the same drive (same no of beds as 2006 property) wouldn’t be a problem. But planning department are looking at splay as they don’t like it. The splay probably dates back to the early 1900’s. We have space for fire engine to turn so tick that box and was ok for listed property conversion in 2000 but apparently times have changed as have motorists. If you can give the new property the new access that might be easier. We don’t own the land at the splay so we can not change ours can you improve on your splay. good luck and welcome to the forum -
Welcome to the forum @ais you will have lots to read and learn on here.
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
Thanks @PeterW I shall compare a few they do let you click no toilet etc so just garden but the first said 120000 litres p.a. Rainfall, so I need to think how I can work out garden usage.
-
Thanks @JohnBishop. How big was your workshop roof and how many did you use @saveasteading or do you know any calculators for rain water collection.
-
Rather than start a new topic I thought I would add on here. Can I use a IBC or similar cheaper non potable storage tank for rain water from the roof. I’m still getting used to all the approved documents. From document H eaves drop systems 1.13 it sounds like I could just let the rain fall away from the doors and foundations into the garden or field in my case. I was expecting to have a soak away but If I can store the water above ground rather than a soak away I can use the water to water my garden etc. I would be happy having a few 3000 litre water storage containers I have plenty of room and large garden.
-
Schneider Lisse White 1Gang 2x USB Charger GGBL70042 apx £15 + VAT
-
I think slightly different main light switch and one double usb socket above cabinets and double electrical socket behind cabinet off set to the side so you can just reach if you need it. Make it easy to plug in phones etc next to bed and both sides of bed can switch off main light. Doesn’t matter who’s last one in bed at night or when other half absent for night, a 3 way light switch works well. Also means usb charger stays in suitcase so you never leave home without it.
-
Have you seen r-wall ICF in Bude it’s similar to polar wall in Exeter. Not sure how these too differ from each other. We’re hoping for ICF no planing permission yet hopefully applying soon.
-
Is a surge protected CU worth it when living in the sticks.
Susie replied to Gone West's topic in Consumer Units, RCDs, MCBOs
Hi been in our house North Bude GCHQ area for over 6 years we have numerous small power cuts some we don’t notice the clock on the microwave is the tell other items must have a capacitor in them as a few minutes is ok for them, very little needs resetting. No surge protection. Wiring about 20yrs old. Never had any problems with a surge following a power cut. One computer a big iMac needs unplugging for a minute before it will restart. No blown tv’s, or routers etc. I think it’s something you just get use, I certainly don’t worry about not having surge protection. -
vat reclaim
Susie replied to Barryscotland's topic in Self Build VAT, Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL), S106 & Tax
Does anybody know the answer to the OP. I imagine copies to be photo copies as a lot of merchants print copy all over the online invoice, can anyone confirm this? -
We have seen Nudura and R-wall. At the moment R-wall is in the lead, they are local to us and doing their own self build and took us to another that’s local. There is also less wastage as the blocks can be cut down and all the off cuts can get used. We haven’t got planning permission yet so things can all change.
