Not sure if I have the hump.

So a fellow build hubber commented that he had just read my blog, and he had found that one of the suppliers I had recommended has now got pictures of my build on the home page of their website. 

Without my knowledge or consent, is this allowed, should I have the hump, should I contact them for an explanation, or do you not have any control over pictures you take anymore. 

Slightly pissed off from Cirencester. 

10 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

So a fellow build hubber commented that he had just read my blog, and he had found that one of the suppliers I had recommended has now got pictures of my build on the home page of their website. 

Without my knowledge or consent, is this allowed, should I have the hump, should I contact them for an explanation, or do you not have any control over pictures you take anymore. 

@JSHarris had similar happen I believe.

17 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Content from here can’t be used commercially. 

If they obtained it from us then they haven’t the right to it. 

42 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Without my knowledge or consent, is this allowed,

No. There can be complications but if you took the photograph with your own camera on your own time then it's highly likely you own the copyright to it though it's just possible your architect could have a small interest in the subject (something that's more likely to be an issue under, e.g., French law than UK law). Nobody else should use the picture without your explicit consent, e.g., given when you signed up to this forum, except in very limited circumstances which wouldn't include use on a commercial web site.

40 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Did you sign any contract with them in which there might have been a bit in very very small writing hid at the bottom  about using media from your job for marketing. 

Possibly they have a clause saying they can take pictures themselves for marketing purposes (even that's unlikely) but if they have one trying to claim rights to other people's pictures then I'd think it'd be very tricky to enforce as it'd likely be chucked out as unfair.

Personally, I'd write them an e-mail saying I don't really mind but that they should have asked first and please can they attribute the picture. If they argued, I'd tell them to take the picture down.

I sent a couple of pics to my piling contractor, who I have got on very well with, unbeknown to me he I presume has sent them on to a steel reinforcement company, who now have it as their banner pic on their home page. 

Im not after money or a discount on future orders, I’m just slightly annoyed at not being asked. 

@Onoff

I’ve always been paid when it’s a commercial company that’s taken my photos without permission. That includes major companies (eg Gr**npeace, Local Authorities who should know better) and smaller ones like @Russell griffiths building company.

I’ve also had people using my photos on social media sites claiming that they were the photographer - in those cases Google have been very helpful inc removing whole pages from the www.

Edited by Ian

4 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Hi Ian thanks for the reply 

what would be an appropriate fee. 

Assuming they are a smallish company I’d charge about £100 as a minimum. 

If they agree then I can give you some wording to use regarding the license and copyright issues

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

Just now, recoveringacademic said:

@Russell griffiths, may I suggest you do nothing.  ' Leave 'im 'ee aint wurf it Russ !'

Unless there are many photos, it'll be an unnecessary distraction for you. @Ian suggests £100. You'll have to work hard for that.

For me it’s happened a lot and I earn part of my income from photography so I always send an invoice. If they don’t pay for any reason (usually non-commercial use by an individual) and the photo is online on social media etc then I complain to Google or the social media provider which has always resulted in removal of the photo.

For a £100 invoice I wouldn’t spend money on legal advice or small claims court fees but it costs nothing to send an invoice and see what happens. 

@Ian @recoveringacademic

The money is not important, it’s more the fact that this just shows me how the world is nowadays 

it would have been very easy for the company to send me a message asking for permission, TBH I would have been flattered 

a bottle of wine in the post I would have been ecstatic. It just annoys me that everyone thinks they can do as they please without a bit of common courtesy. 

I have gone from being slightly intrigued, to marginaly pissed off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I have gone from being slightly intrigued, to marginaly pissed off. 

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent terrorist threats and have therefore raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." The English have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to "A Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from "Pissed Off" to "Let's Get the Bastards." They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

John Cleese

A bit old but still true???

Edited by Hecateh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I have a legal point of order.

Would the T&Cs apply to an anonymous visitor assuming that is how the supplier gained access to the blog photos? 

Yes - the T&Cs are for access to the site - not just for membership.

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yes - the T&Cs are for access to the site - not just for membership.

I was going to ask if it is possible to enforce a contract that an anonymous has never seen but that might lead to a policy popup page interfering with every anonymous user visit.

There is always basic copyright law as a fallback.