Being on TV

18 minutes ago, newhome said:

Wonder if you get censored until the programme was aired meaning you couldn’t come on a public forum like this and ask for advice on stuff? 

Yes, I would assume you do.  The last contract I had stipulated that the whole show had to remain confidential until first broadcast, and the broadcast date was around a year after the shoot.  They were also very particular about people not having phones or cameras on set, but they did have a stills photographer who was very happy to take personal memento shots, you just weren't allowed to receive them until after the first broadcast date.

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

And if you do, keep mentioning Buildhub, and see if that gets past the edit room.

There's also usually a contract clause stipulating that no product names, other than the list of programme sponsors, were allowed to be mentioned, plus no swearing on set (impossible to stick to, but they bleep it out anyway).  There were also rules about not obscuring product placement names unduly, like not propping something up in front of the welding set that obscured the name on the side.

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Worth also bearing in mind that there will probably be endless repeats for years afterwards, so you can find that you carry on getting a bit of attention for a long time after the show is first broadcast.

I went on TV in 1987 and to my horror the BBC still sometimes repeats it 30 bloody years later!! :S

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

Link please!!

Thank feck there is no link! Keith Chegwin was on it and he died a year or so ago so maybe it won't be on again (at least I hope it'll never see the light of day again!!). 

We still have lots of questions and I'd hate to feel we are pressurised into choosing certain things, e.g. kitchen, bathrooms etc and certain brands when I've done a lot of research already and have some good ideas too on what we want.

I've got visions of it being like shopping with my sister in law, I'm looking at handbags in Primark and she is picking out one in Mulberry!

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd post a general update.

We had visits from producers and they wanted to proceed, however we were told in essence we would need to 'sack' our 'architects' who are actually architectural designers/technicians because they aren't RIBA qualified. Whilst the TV programme would pay for new architects this didn't sit right with us. They couldn't tell us who they would pick other than it being a great first class company from Manchester or Liverpool, and we just didn't feel this would work for us (as well as the fact we would have had a bill anyway for plans being drawn already)!

Our local ones we picked after having lots of architects, architectural designers and technicians round, both local and national and the RIBA ones were the ones we felt completely disillusioned with. Nothing against RIBA but the architects we had with RIBA qualifications just seemed to have their own agenda and didn't actually demonstrate much listening and were significantly more expensive too.

The couple we have currently live less than a mile away and we have worked together since September to get where we are, they know planners, have met with councillors for us, local builders/tradesmen and one was a year off her RIBA qualification when the owner of the firm passed away suddenly and the other is more on structural design. More than anything we just didn't want to sack them when C4 admitted the plans were great, it was just the lack of RIBA qualification!

Combine that with my long list of questions about timescales and what if's, I think they were worried and we were worried we were almost being set up to fail from the outset, already being under pressure with unrealistic goals for filming so we kind of all came to an agreement not to proceed.

We may not get the heavily discounted items but we will get something on our terms and hopefully that we can control not being under pressure.

Good job really as the news about this ecologists survey now is going to cost a bit and probably delay things...

Think you made the right choice.  It's your build and you have search high and low and found architects who you like.  For them to come in and ask you to change is taking the piss.  Enjoy your build at your pace and not at the  behest of a TV company. 

• 1 month later...

Slightly off topic but has anyone been in any of the magazines, and are there any pros/cons with that? Notice some of the magazine-linked shows ask. My partner thinks it'd be a nice keepsake and might help cut some deals. 

A computer/electronics project I worked on featured in a magazine. The journalist seemed great, everything went pretty well. No more than a few minor problems that any complicated project has. All were easily solved, and project was completed on budget and to pretty agressive timescales. Customer was happy. But I guess that was all too boring for the editor who basically made us look like idiots fighting one problem after another with the project constantly behind schedule. I'd never agree to it again.

12 hours ago, eandg said:

Slightly off topic but has anyone been in any of the magazines, and are there any pros/cons with that? Notice some of the magazine-linked shows ask. My partner thinks it'd be a nice keepsake and might help cut some deals. 

My build is featuring in one of the self build magazines at the end of the year provided I meet the deadline for finishing the house ?

I was approached by the guy that does their photography (who I know via a work connection). I agreed on the basis that I had final comment on the editorial text which they were more than happy to agree to. I’ve already spoken to the journalist who’s writing the piece. They were really keen to cover the renewable aspects of the house but alas I’ve refused as I wasn’t prepared to sing the praises of a system which thanks to Sunamp has been nothing but a PITA.

I agreed for one principal reason; if I decide to sell I’ll have a very nice piece of marketing collateral. 

Edited by Barney12

On 06/03/2019 at 21:02, canalsiderenovation said:

we would need to 'sack' our 'architects' who are actually architectural designers/technicians because they aren't RIBA qualified. Whilst the TV programme would pay for new architects this didn't sit right with us. They couldn't tell us who they would pick other than it being a great first class company from Manchester or Liverpool, and we just didn't feel this would work for us (as well as the fact we would have had a bill anyway for plans being drawn already)!

I think that is offensive. If a house has been well-designed by an Arch-Tech, then they have no business taking the limelight away.

Do you know what the reason was?

It sounds like the nasty little clause in RIBA House of the Year on C4 that limits entries to those designed by RIBA and Wales, Scotland and NI versions of RIBA. I want "House of the Year" not "House of the Year by a member of The Sponsoring Organisation".

Gets!

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

On 08/01/2019 at 19:57, mvincentd said:

Irrelevant...they'll invent a catastrophe regardless.  As a photographer i've used several GD houses that are now available as shoot locations and every owner i've spoken with has said this. 

I remember one of the episodes that had a lovely house but for some reason I didn't find very interesting. It was an older couple of ladies (possibly in a relationship with each other) building a small, angular wooden house on Skye. Lovely design and location. Builder was a local guy who did a great job. Everything came in under budget and ahead of time.

The only drama they could even try to manufacture was around the air test, because the builder had never had one of his builds tested in this way. It passed with flying colours and that was it.

I can see why they try to emphasise any issues that arise (and virtually every build has them).