Slowly moving to Torx: why?

ToughButterCup

They work even when the user is blind(ed)

20181031_102429.thumb.jpg.038042579212210e21207d8b5f8481aa.jpg

OK, I was a bit cack-handed, let my glasses fall off my nose, and then - in - slow - motion, watched my size 10s stand on them.        Waraneejit

But -the good bit- I found I didn't need to see the screw head for the drill bit to engage and drive the screw. And neither did I need to be able to see the next few screws either. I could do everything by feel. 

Bless the inventor.

torx.jpg.78c9ed0c740c0b425dc43eb2167b9682.jpg

Bet Torx was invented by a woman.

That's it. Buying Torx only from now on.......

• Like 1

I'm another Torx fan, really excellent for hefty screws.

The only problem I've ever had with them was when I bought a set of Torx bits that were massively over-hardened and very brittle.  The ends of the bits just shattered into fragments when a bit of force was applied to them.  Lesson learned; I only buy well-known brands of bits now, like Wera.

I was a bit shocked when I found SWMBO's car had a torx drive sump plug. I did try it with a standard socket set, a hex socket, and the appropriate size torx bit and it became apparent that something would break if I applied enough torque to undo the thing.  I had to go and buy a 3/8 drive with the correct size torx bit to finally get enough grunt to undo it. 

Guest Alphonsox
7 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

I'm a fan of the torx bits, my only problem is I've got plenty PZ2 bits, but never a Torx 30 when I need it!

I know the feeling - I happy with PZ2, but prefer Torx and have loads of bits for both. Unfortunately my sparky prefers "square drive" (Robertson) screws and has used them for everything. The first time I tried to move a back box I hit problems. At short notice the only way I could source the correct bit was to buy a screwfix 1001 flavours multi-bit set.

8 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

Unfortunately my sparky prefers "square drive" (Robertson) screws and has used them for everything. The first time I tried to move a back box I hit problems. At short notice the only way I could source the correct bit was to buy a screwfix 1001 flavours multi-bit set.

That's odd. Aren't they Canadian? I've never seen one used in the UK.

Guest Alphonsox
14 minutes ago, jack said:

That's odd. Aren't they Canadian? I've never seen one used in the UK.

That's what I thought - Why my Northern Ireland sparky has decided to use them in preference to anything else is beyond me. Probably came across a couple of hundred boxes going cheap in the back-room of the local bar ....

10 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

That's what I thought - Why my Northern Ireland sparky has decided to use them in preference to anything else is beyond me. Probably came across a couple of hundred boxes going cheap in the back-room of the local bar ....

For some unknown reason most  sparks here use them.  Must be the  go to screw off choice they are all taught when they are doing their tech course. 

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Ah but which version of Torx is best :-) Apple use a version with a different number of lobes in their laptops.

That's called a "security screw" a bit like the torx ones with a hole or a pin in the middle so a standard torx won't fit. Also 3 pronged "philips" screws are quite common.

I think the hubby must have been a torx fan as he seems to have used them everywhere. Unfortunately I had never heard of them which is why 24 hours later I still hadn’t managed to find the right Phillips screwdriver to unscrew the meter cover :ph34r:. I could not understand why I couldn’t find one to fit. I’m more screw aware now though ?

• 7 months later...
On 31/10/2018 at 10:35, AnonymousBosch said:

They work even when the user is blind(ed)

20181031_102429.thumb.jpg.038042579212210e21207d8b5f8481aa.jpg

OK, I was a bit cack-handed, let my glasses fall off my nose, and then - in - slow - motion, watched my size 10s stand on them.        Waraneejit

But -the good bit- I found I didn't need to see the screw head for the drill bit to engage and drive the screw. And neither did I need to be able to see the next few screws either. I could do everything by feel. 

Bless the inventor.

torx.jpg.78c9ed0c740c0b425dc43eb2167b9682.jpg

Bet Torx was invented by a woman.

That's it. Buying Torx only from now on.......

Bought three pairs of glasses from Aldi the other week for just such occasions. (You clumsy oaf)

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Bought three pairs of glasses from Aldi [...]

£ shop's cheaper. 

By now, I must have about 20 pairs of glasses knocking around: I buy three pairs per monthly shopping trip - oh, and one pair's just come out of the washing machine. The car has at least one pair on each seat, and when being bussed about our grandchild has taken to putting them on and declaring

" Mine glessiz"

I am a Spax fan, could this be a Beatles v. Rolling Stones type loyalty thing?

Spax have a little extra bump on the bit head which helps keep the screw firmly attached to the bit. My Spax obsession led me to purchase an assorted set of 2,400 in a robust Spax branded carry case.

26 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I am a Spax fan, could this be a Beatles v. Rolling Stones type loyalty thing?[...]

It isn't for me.

I have 8 remaining fingers and no feeling in the outer two, each of which is  curled over like I imagine Captain Hook's hook. Brilliant for propping a wine glass, or holding a pool of shower gel. Releasing things is sometimes quite difficult, and the trailing finger - when shaking hands - makes some people think I'm, as my dad would say, a left-handed bricklayer : a Freemason .

The weakness in my hands is significantly reduced when using Torx and Spax screws. I (anyone) doesn't need to press so hard, because the screw draws itself into the material more readily for the same amount of pressure . Pushing hard on my little amputation makes me grizzle a bit.

For me the answer to the question: "Need a hand , Ian?"  is always " Naah, two fingers'll do. (Debbie doesn't ask anymore)

• Haha 1