Rest and relaxation - escaping from the build

17 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

@ProDave and @Crofter ... you've got me seriously thinking. How about  a nice 18 foot clinker dinghy to potter round Morecambe Bay, and maybe to pop over to the Isle of man? Or down to Angelesy and back?

Your posts made me remember how good it is to look forward to a good sail somewhere - even if the trip is hard work.

Maybe when the house is finished. Now there's some motivation. 

You might even sell the digger for a boat!

I seem to recall griff Rhys-Jones stating that his vintage wooden yacht had absorbed half a million, to be worth £195k.

http://www.classicyachtargyll.com/q-a-by-griff-rhys-jones/

My most favouritest self-build *ever* is the chap who decided to build a shooting punt and punt gun from scratch, after he'd built the workshop to build it in.

The thread is here but since 2012 the pics seem to have vanished:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/217901-making-a-gunning-punt-and-punt-gun/

How many self-build houses have all the screw heads at the same angle?

(Expects at least one person to go "meeeeeeeeeeeeeee !! "

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

5 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I seem to recall griff Rhys-Jones stating that his vintage wooden yacht had absorbed half a million, to be worth £195k.

My most favouritest self-build *ever* is the chap who decided to build a shooting punt and punt gun from scratch, after he'd built the workshop to build it in.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/217901-making-a-gunning-punt-and-punt-gun/

Ferdinand

I doubt all my windows will be at the same angle

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/07/2016 at 16:57, Ferdinand said:

Ferdinand

Ref the screws.....I suppose you would drive them in with a cordless then go back and tweak to the same angle with a manual screwdriver?

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

Ref the screws.....I suppose you would drive them in with a cordless then go back and tweak to the same angle with a manual screwdriver?

Stop it. This is all making me worse. I've been trying for years to stop putting things in straight lines and keeping symmetry. My other half is always having a go at me about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Slotted (brass, roundheads?) have got to be the most obvious if off kilter. Saying that the more you look at them the more it bugs you:

UaBbX.jpg

When you park your car, do you have to make sure all the tyre brands are the same way up and the wheel centres/logo in the same orientation?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daiking said:

When you park your car, do you have to make sure all the tyre brands are the same way up and the wheel centres/logo in the same orientation?

Up until now no.....xD

1 hour ago, daiking said:

No, but SWMBO does have to make sure the wheels are pointing straight ahead, otherwise it "confuses" her.

Me, if I have just parallel parked, I leave the wheels at whatever angle they end up at, on the basis that's the way I will need them pointing to get out again.

Out fishing this morning, a rising tide, light breeze assisting my cast - 12 cracking Mackrel the result. We even had a brief period (30 seconds literally) when the water next to the pier was 'boiling' with fish, as a small shoal of Mackrel came in and fed on whitebait.  A single cast out (3 hooked) before the boiling ceased and the Mackrel disappeared!  An amazing sight seeing the Mackrel hunting their prey.

Mackrel fillets with lemon & garlic mayo on a roll for lunch :), a freezer stocked up with fillets and a healthy store of bait for next time.

P7220002.JPG

Edited by Stones
Typo
  • Like 2

On 7/18/2016 at 07:43, Barney12 said:

Reading the OP has made me realise that I havnt taken a day off (from either work or the build) since Christmas. :( 

I would quite like to take a few days off but I'd only sit and fidget fretting about the things I could be doing!  

We were the same all last year.  Hardly a day (or even an evening) off, and any time we did take off had us both sitting there feeling guilty!  It's taken us a surprising amount of time to break out of that feeling.

Just back from the family holiday in Cornwall - raced into the house on arrival home and spent 10 mins playing with the light switches that the sparky had powered up while we were away. Small pleasures.

Now coming to terms with the still sizeable to do list before we can move in...