My Nightmare Heating System

newhome

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

So if I open a tin of it, how long can I keep it for?

Used a small amount in a dish, and lost my nerve after a fortnight with the remainder in the fridge.

Coconut oil keeps without refrigeration for at least a year after opening, and most probably a lot longer, as that's what's on the package marking, so is bound to err on the side of caution.  If it's mixed with a tiny amount of antioxidant and stabiliser it would probably keep for several years.

I use stuff past its use by date for eons. Not dead yet :D. People rely on dates too much. Taste and smell are the best indicators although I’m not advocating that anyone uses year old prawns! ;)

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Have we caught up with @Onoff's bathroom yet?

I think people who don’t even know they’re going to be doing a self build yet will be caught up with @Onoff‘s bathroom. 

I estimate another year to go re the bathroom but at least @Onoff is giving it all a whirl himself. I think I would probably kill myself if I attempted to fiddle around with heating wiring etc. It’s not all bad tho. Since this thread started I now know how to use an electric drill / screwdriver (after a fashion!), I know there are more different types of screws and screwdrivers than I previously ever imagined, and I can name most of the parts in my heating system even if I can’t fix them. Previously when I needed to drill a hole in some plastic plant pots I used a barbeque lighter to burn a hole in them rather than attempt to drill anything. I could hear the hubby yelling at me from beyond the grave shouting “what the feck are you doing!”. :D It worked tho! 

I’m hoping my heating is fixed in just over a week (fingers crossed!!). 

Edited by newhome
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

So if I open a tin of it, how long can I keep it for?

Used a small amount in a dish, and lost my nerve after a fortnight with the remainder in the fridge.

I'm still using some I bought over 3 years ago

5 hours ago, newhome said:

I use stuff past its use by date for eons. Not dead yet :D. People rely on dates too much. Taste and smell are the best indicators although I’m not advocating that anyone uses year old prawns! ;)

Top tip: You can't rely on smell or taste to detect food-borne pathogens. As general rule, don't mess with a 'use by' unless you're feeling lucky, but feel free to use your judgement with a 'display until' or a 'best before'. 

I'm renowned in the house for if something's in front of me I eat it. Slumped in the sofa yesterday watching some telly, famished and wolfing some filled pittas the wife had done, I might have dropped a few crumbs down my front. Very nearly ate a large SPLINTER! :)

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

Top tip: You can't rely on smell or taste to detect food-borne pathogens. As general rule, don't mess with a 'use by' unless you're feeling lucky, but feel free to use your judgement with a 'display until' or a 'best before'. 

Sorry meant best by. Tins, dried food and the like. I have been known to push use by dates too tho but just a little as I figure there is always a bit of leeway generally. I’m not one for getting sick as a rule. Until I do of course! Never push it with some fresh food tho. Depends what it is. 

22 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

That is for babies, try a Carolina Reaper raw, it makes you shake.  I know, I ate one for a laugh.

I’ll give it a miss! I can’t even cope with a jalfrezi :D I’ve been to India for work a few times. Struggle to eat anything as even their mild food blows ma heid off! 

Ressurection day 1 (looks more like the chainsaw massacre just now) 

From this:

21A0C669-2BDF-4515-839B-FCB7345F37A1.jpeg

To this:

9B850401-67CF-4459-90A3-4D5F754EDA99.jpeg

Apparently these are the bits that are fecked or should never have been fitted :ph34r:

Edited by newhome
  • Like 2

22.50 and they are still working! Amazing! DHW is working however so we can all shower tonight! 

There’s more scrap now than parts salvaged lol. All shiny new stuff in its place though. 

C448F0B4-AA23-4099-BD5D-8AE6E7F4F37D.jpeg

5 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I think readers might be confused, naturally the beer is being used to fill the intermediate transfer circuits with alcohol, it will never freeze and if desperate you can get a drink from the drain tap!

.....is the right answer. ;)

• Haha 1