My Nightmare Heating System

newhome

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I think that shower model is of such a vintage that spares for now obsolete, replacement models that took the same name are even discontinued!

https://www.showerdoc.com/search?ss=Triton+unichrome+tower+&pageID=1

Crap! Bought from the Plumb Centre showroom in 2010. I don’t mind changing it but need something that will fit with the bloody holes in the tiles I guess. Never used the jets etc. anyway. The sort of thing you use a couple of times for the novelty value and then use the main shower head all the time. I do like a bit of a rainfall shower myself! Helps wash girlie hair products out :P

7 minutes ago, newhome said:

Crap! Bought from the Plumb Centre showroom in 2010. I don’t mind changing it but need something that will fit with the bloody holes in the tiles I guess. Never used the jets etc. anyway. The sort of thing you use a couple of times for the novelty value and then use the main shower head all the time. I do like a bit of a rainfall shower myself! Helps wash girlie hair products out :P

On the install manual you posted it says 2004. Had similar issues with a NewTeam pump shower. Ended up having to do a bit of re-tiling! :(

I do wonder if generic, surface mount bar mixers are the way to go sometimes. Pretty much g'teed a replacement from varying makers. 

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

On the install manual you posted it says 2004. Had similar issues with a NewTeam pump shower. Ended up having to do a bit of re-tiling! :(

There is nae chance of me retiling anything and I can’t get a tiler here for love nor money. The main one in the local town moved jobs and the one remaining one won’t come and work on bits and bobs. I know, I’ve tried! He came out and tiled the extension which was obviously a whole room and never came back out to do the bits and bobs left in other rooms. Guess I need to try to find a similar shower that will cover the holes up. The tiles are quite big and the ones the shower is attached to have the shower screen attached to them too :/

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just buy another tower shower and you'll need to do no such thing. Prob best to try and strip and service that one before writing it off. ;)

Strip and service :o :ph34r:

It’s the bottom knob that controls the temperature that is fecked. I will take advice on here if I need to purchase a new one. Seem to have made too many poor choices here already! 

15 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Real men use Swarfega and sand, end of.

I still use washing up liquid and sand.  I make up a 5 litre container filled with a mixture of the cheapest washing up liquid I can find in bulk, plus some clean white play sand.  A pot of this sits by the sink, as it's the best hand cleanser I've found.  It will literally get damned near anything off dirty hands.

Also, as another chemistry tip, no need to buy Swarfega, you can easily make it using cheap washing up liquid and naptha.  If you choose green coloured washing up liquid the resulting gel even looks like Swarfega, but is a bit more runny.

I prefer the sand and washing up liquid mix though, the sand really grinds the engrained dirt out well.

• Thanks 1

I use coconut oil and sand as hand cleaner...! It cleans the crud off and then ordinary hand soap and cold water gets the rest off. Hot water opens up the pores and drives the dirt inward I’ve found.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I use coconut oil and sand as hand cleaner...! 

Coconut oil is a great moisturiser too so use some sans sand after getting rid of the crud and you’ll have the best hands and nails on the block :)

One environmental caution.  I believe that some of the granulated hand wash stuff uses plastic granules, and as these end up being washed down the drains they may well contribute to the build up of micro plastics in waterways and the sea.  Probably worth checking the labels to b sure, as this seems to be a growing problem, and one that's quite topical at the moment, after the David Attenborough programme about plastics in the sea.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

One environmental caution.  I believe that some of the granulated hand wash stuff uses plastic granules, and as these end up being washed down the drains they may well contribute to the build up of micro plastics in waterways and the sea.  Probably worth checking the labels to b sure, as this seems to be a growing problem, and one that's quite topical at the moment, after the David Attenborough programme about plastics in the sea.

+1 and the fact that once their out to sea, they're there to stay. 

Quite distressing to hear on that programme how huge an impact something like that is causing. :( 

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Hot water opens up the pores and drives the dirt inward I’ve found.  

I was warned by a chemist, at an establishment I worked at many ago, never to use hot water to wash hands with cleaners like Swarfega. He was very conscious of the carcinogenic potential of the chemicals in cleaners. Don't know how true it was, as it was back in the early seventies.

15 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I was warned by a chemist, at an establishment I worked at many ago, never to use hot water to wash hands with cleaners like Swarfega. He was very conscious of the carcinogenic potential of the chemicals in cleaners. Don't know how true it was, as it was back in the early seventies.

Pretty sure the original Swarfega was actually a bit nasty. I've 3 one gallon tins of the green stuff in the shed still. Scored them years back when a then governor had us clear some arches out of a business he'd bought. Wish I'd taken a small lathe and dividing head now! :)

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

One environmental caution.  I believe that some of the granulated hand wash stuff uses plastic granules

Aren't they in loads of things now? Face scrubs, shower gel, toothpaste et al? I think there are beads in things that aren't plastic too but I have to admit I don't know what they use instead. 

15 minutes ago, newhome said:

Aren't they in loads of things now? Face scrubs, shower gel, toothpaste et al? I think there are beads in things that aren't plastic too but I have to admit I don't know what they use instead. 

I believe so.  I've not seen a definitive list of products that contain plastic granules, but have heard that they are used in a lot of facial and skin scrubs etc.  Pretty much anything where a very mild abrasive might be beneficial.

My understanding is that salt, sugar, ground kernels of  various fruits and ground shell of nuts are all ok (my face scrub has ground peach kernels) but the only way you can tell what is in each product is by reading the ingredients.  If the ingredients are not listed it is likely to be suspect as the companies that are supporting the abolition of the use of plastics are keen to show that they have none. 

Unfortunately it is also true that some companies put in a proportion of organic grains and advertise that whilst also adding the plastic beads.  The proportion of people who are likely to check is small.  (In many ways it is the (IMO) the modern equivalent of animal testing - with a much greater long term impact on the sustainability of the planet - but less emotive so more under the radar

Just now, Hecateh said:

The proportion of people who are likely to check is small.  (In many ways it is the (IMO) the modern equivalent of animal testing - with a much greater long term impact on the sustainability of the planet - but less emotive so more under the radar

Yes, that's me. I look for companies that don't test on animals but I bet that I have loads of plastic bead products here. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/03/2018 at 13:59, PeterW said:

I use coconut oil and sand as hand cleaner...! It cleans the crud off and then ordinary hand soap and cold water gets the rest off. Hot water opens up the pores and drives the dirt inward I’ve found.  

How do you stop the coconut oil going off?

Or is it Thai Green Curry twice a week?

Edited by Ferdinand

10 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

How do you stop the coconut oil going off?

Or is it Thai Green Curry twice a day?

Lol, coconut oil has a long use buy date generally and that’s for food use. Doubt the skin minds too much ;). And it’s solid at normal room temperatures. 

• Like 1

Just now, newhome said:

Lol, coconut oil has a long use buy date generally and that’s for food use. Doubt the skin minds too much ;). And it’s solid at normal room temperatures. 

So if I open a tin of it, how long can I keep it for?

Used a small amount in a dish, and lost my nerve after a fortnight with the remainder in the fridge.