Plastering Moisture Resistant Plasterboard

Onoff

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Ta. No professionals involved!

I got the first set on the ceiling and wall with my lad labouring. I put one sachet of CoT in to a full bag of multi, should tbh have put two in. Did the ceiling first then the wall. When it came to finishing the first set on the wall it was getting a bit thick in the bucket. Probably a big no-no but I brought it back to life with a dash more water and another sachet of CoT. :ph34r:

Cleaned all tools thoroughly and did the second mix about twice as runny as the first but with two sachets of CoT from the off...it retards things a treat for a newbie like me. My boy and I then put the 2nd set on, me the ceiling and he the wall. I then started polishing it and my nephew turned up and helped finish off. Seems to be drying off nice. Nothing paint won't sort!

A good father and son bonding experience! (Get the plastering themed joke? :) )

IMG-20180624-WA0001

20180624_174421

20180624_174442

20180624_174451

20180624_174515

IMG-20180624-WA0000

That old trick !

2 random guys off the street , offer them 20 quid to pose for the photo .

Done that many times - never get arrested ???

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Get out of the hot tub and start tiling :D

Top effort, so I'm off to the fridge for my humble pie ( Asda melt in the middle with double cream is as close as I can get ). 

Tres bien Rodney. ??

Git! I REALLY fancy pie now but can't drive as I've had a beer! :(

Wonder if SWMBO will run me up the Co-op...or maybe go for me...

Going to paint the ceiling whilst the floor's raised.

Floor tiles first?

26 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Last...

But I want to get the door frame & door in...until I know ffl exactly, dictated by the floor tiles when done I can't put the frame in. Can I?

I suppose I could put the frame and door in then floor tile up close to the frame and multitool the frame either side? Obviously I'd take the door off to trim it.

36 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Last...

Looks like we have a fight on our hands.

Floor tiles first where I went to school :P As this is a wet room the wall tiles need to be scribed to the floor as I dont like the idea of water running down a wall and into a grout line, whereas I'd rather water was running past a grout line, which you get if you tile the wall last.

Plus one of my nit-picks is 'grout line PoV' where you shouldn't be looking at a grout line in the corners. For eg if you stand in the doorway of the bathroom, the wall opposite you should be tiled first, and then the two walls that run to meet it on the left and right hand side will look as if tile just meets tile. It should only be apparent theres a grout joint if you stand directly in front of that opposite wall and look left or right, where you'll be looking at the last cut tile and the grout line to close it into the corner. When I show customers that at the end of the job, and other little basic considerations, they remark on the difference it makes. Same with the floor. if you tile the floor last then all around the room you'll be looking down at the grout line, whereas you should, imo, be looking down past the grout line and directly at the floor tile, again appearing as if the tile hits the floor.

Simply set the laser up at the chosen height of the first horizontal wall tile grout line and get set to cut the entire room bottom course ( dry cutting for the moment ). Then you simply turn the tile around, so the face is against the wall that its to go on, and check that its sat snug to the floor tile. It matters that the tile is NOT brought plumb as you want the scribe to be included. With the tile firmly against the wall and the floor you then simply mark the left and right side of the tile where the laser hits it. Carry the marks around to the front of the tile and then cut it. Offer the tile back to the wall the right way around with the cut side against the floor and bingo. A perfectly level cut line which follows the undulations of the floor tile with the scribe done for you by the laser. Like shooting fish in a barrel.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

If theres Tartare sauce in the plaster god knows whats in the cakes. 

Doesn't stop me wanting one now I've seen them though :( 

8oz srf

4oz butter

3oz castor sugar

4oz mixed fruit

1tsp mixed spice

2-4tsp milk

15-20mins @ 200degC

CofT is a "tartrate of potassium" apparently. Proprietary plaster retarder contains it at 40% and is the only active ingredient. 

Going to make MYSELF a bfo traditional fruit cake sometime...with nuts on top...

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Onoff said:

No pie forthcoming so I made rock cakes...one lot sans the mixed fruit for SWMBO and daughter! 

20180624_211242.thumb.jpg.d22017bfe6bd8c8a1f4a2eea3f8e7ed6.jpg

How does the maths work .. 7 for two  of them, 9 for you?

(I approve, mind).

(And the plasterwork looks good. When are you doing stucco on the outside?)

Edited by Ferdinand

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

How does the maths work .. 7 for two  of them, 9 for you?

(I approve, mind).

First I scrounged one off the left pile. Then I said to my daughter "Your brother let me have one of his...".

1 minute ago, newhome said:

I was wondering that but it's 9 for @Onoff and son of @Onoff I imagine but still not an even split :)

I'll limit myself to one of each. Had I posted a gut shot earlier you'd have realised why! :)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

First I scrounged one off the left pile. Then I said to my daughter "Your brother let me have one of his...".

She believed you, did she?

?

Love your son’s beard. Very Amish and very individual. 

Edited by Ferdinand

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

Love your son’s beard. Very Amish.

Gets it from his Mum! :ph34r:

We do have rellies in Pennsylvania come to think off it, Hamburg etc.

All a bit Allahu Akbar for me! I just look like Harry & The Hendersons if I let mine grow. It's a very grey shade of grey...

5 hours ago, newhome said:

I can't critique it but looks great to me. Well done for giving it a go. 

Not sure about the Top Gun reference - wasn't that the supposedly homoerotic scene?! :ph34r:

What is about that scene? I remember the then girlfriend was mad for it after seeing that. Or was she just imagining I was TC or Val Kilmer?

:)

Edited by Onoff
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Gets it from his Mum! :ph34r:

We do have rellies in Pennsylvania come to think off it, Hamburg etc.

All a bit Allahu Akbar for me! I just look like Harry & The Hendersons if I let mine grow. It's a very grey shade of grey...

It’s not a goaty, so on principle I approve.

30 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'll limit myself to one of each. Had I posted a gut shot earlier you'd have realised why! :)

Well son of @Onoff looks like he needs building up so rock cakes and more beer should help :) 

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

Well son of @Onoff looks like he needs building up so rock cakes and more beer should help :) 

I was the same build at his age. Ribs like a xylophone! It's the curvature of the spine from the hours hunched over a keyboard I worry about!

He's a cider not beer man.

Edited by Onoff