Plastering Moisture Resistant Plasterboard

Onoff

28 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

For a bit of timescale perspective, the new local Cathedral at Canterbury was completely rebuilt in 7 years between 1070 and 1077.

Bits have been added since, but that is how they used to do building in Kent !

Pre-planning system, probably.

I often wonder what the post count would be of these threads if you subtracted the pi$$taking? I'm as guilty as the next man of that but it's interesting how some forums have some super anal mods who will jump on and remove off topic posts. The mig welding forum is pretty good for that. Just saying. 

The multi finish isn't a problem if you are skimming over it, the cracking you are reading about is probably where people have used the tape and fill method only.

My concern was how flat is your wall now? Simply as multi won't sand as well as joint cement. 

You also need to make sure all areas have the same prep. What you don't want is patches of wall here and there going off at different rates

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Not sure why you’ve filled the joints anyway ...? They don’t need filling when you’re skimming. 

All I have to go on is @nod's post that they will show through if you don't.

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, Onoff said:
Ferdinand said:

For a bit of timescale perspective, the new local Cathedral at Canterbury was completely rebuilt in 7 years between 1070 and 1077.

I sang for this man when I was at school in Canterbury.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Ramsey

He autographed my bible too.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

The mig welding forum is pretty good for that

I know a joke about wielders.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Just saying

Shall we all join and help them out.

Edited by SteamyTea

7 hours ago, Onoff said:

Erm...multi...

So guessing from the "God loves a tryer!" comments elsewhere (without them stating why) that I've done something wrong by using multifinish over tape to fill the joint. Only guessing really as "Best slept on!" type comments are hardly helpful. Typical of most pure "trade" forums tbh, they advetise as DIY friendly then close ranks when one comes along. Generally this place isn't like that covering multi disciplines as it does. 

AFTER some reading I suspect it's that multi isn't considered strong enough for jointing purposes and that any stress on it might (will?) show up as a crack?

If that's the case is there any way round it? Wider "repair" tape? Or magic paint? :)

Thanks

Multi will be fine over your joints as they're screwed to joists not dot n dab. ;). Relax, there's no need for any magical cures. 

Put the PVA on with a roller, slow and steady....the spray bottle just seems crazy messy to me. 

Were not bullying, that's just daft, but I will now politely request that we move forward constructively :)

So, that said, can we remove any doubt and declare that your plastering this all yourself now ? 

44 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Multi will be fine over your joints as they're screwed to joists not dot n dab. ;). Relax, there's no need for any magical cures. 

Put the PVA on with a roller, slow and steady....the spray bottle just seems crazy messy to me. 

Were not bullying, that's just daft, but I will now politely request that we move forward constructively :)

So, that said, can we remove any doubt and declare that your plastering this all yourself now ? 

Breathes a sigh of relief! :)

Yep, that's the plan. The BiL's knocking on 70 anyway and has back trouble plus I WANT to have a go.

Ok, ok. 

Where you've filled the joints, is that now flush or slightly proud ?

How many coats of PVA in are you? Hopefully just the first pissy one and Nowt else ?

From now on, PVA only goes on directly before laying on ok ? ?

Try and do the skimming on cool or cold days, not in the late afternoon when the walks are warm and you'll get much longer to "play with it".  

The mix consistency is critical. I for eg mix up a lot thicker than my other spreads as I can't concentrate on keeping the mix on the hawk whilst changing angles and looking upwards, keeps falling off :S 

Too thick and you'll be labouring hard so best advice is, if it'll slide easily off the trowel it's a bit too thin. Plasterer's everywhere will disagree, but I'm not a plasterer, I'm just a plumber who can plaster and I can do it well ( far better than some spreads I've paid TBH ). 

I need you to swear first that you will NOT piss in any buckets let alone add piss to the plaster ? Need that in writing FIRST. 

48 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ok, ok. 

Where you've filled the joints, is that now flush or slightly proud ?

How many coats of PVA in are you? Hopefully just the first pissy one and Nowt else ?

From now on, PVA only goes on directly before laying on ok ? ?

Try and do the skimming on cool or cold days, not in the late afternoon when the walks are warm and you'll get much longer to "play with it".  

The mix consistency is critical. I for eg mix up a lot thicker than my other spreads as I can't concentrate on keeping the mix on the hawk whilst changing angles and looking upwards, keeps falling off :S 

Too thick and you'll be labouring hard so best advice is, if it'll slide easily off the trowel it's a bit too thin. Plasterer's everywhere will disagree, but I'm not a plasterer, I'm just a plumber who can plaster and I can do it well ( far better than some spreads I've paid TBH ). 

I need you to swear first that you will NOT piss in any buckets let alone add piss to the plaster ? Need that in writing FIRST. 

Just the joints have been done 5:1 with the garden sprayer. Agreed, it's messy! Over to a roller from now on.

North facing, Sun less side of the house. It's the coolest room in the house. Open the window and the temperature soon drops hence going a bit ott with the PIR all round.

As for levelness over the joints  I'll have to put a straight edge with a light behind or something. 

I got very little fall off the hawk onto the floor. Trick is to wet the hawk then dry it off on a bit of pb wall so it's damp but not wet.

Watched this guy a couple of times, room looks a similar size and I like his style. Plus he's from darn Sarf! :)

I also "wore" the trowels in with some 80 grit paper following another vid I found.

53 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

Have you got a cupboard etc somewhere else in the house where you can have a practice and get your technique in the groove?

Even a damaged sheet of old plasterboard temporarily tacked to a garage wall?

Erm that's where the Onoff moniker stems from...all or nothing, feet first or sat on arse! :) I also have to be punched many times before I realise it hurts!

Edited by Onoff

15 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I could watch skilled trades working all day. Beats actually doing anything myself! :D

You can see why plasterers either have amazing shoulders or serious shoulder problems. My shoulders are aching just watching him do three minutes on the ceiling.

• Like 1

Yup. My mate asked me to lay on with him in a summer day, 4m x 8m ceiling. 

By the time we got it laid on and the first flat off I could just about hold my arms above my head. 

My fear is that The Onoff wont be able to walk away from the first set and he'll keep playing with it aka taking off everything he's just put on. You really have to switch off and just get the stuff on before even thinking about what it looks like. 

8 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. My mate asked me to lay on with him in a summer day, 4m x 8m ceiling. 

By the time we got it laid on and the first flat off I could just about hold my arms above my head. 

My fear is that The Onoff wont be able to walk away from the first set and he'll keep playing with it aka taking off everything he's just put on. You really have to switch off and just get the stuff on before even thinking about what it looks like. 

Trust me I'll get that first set on like Billy Sulphate from Viz!

Got the can of Monster and some hard trance all ready! :)

Edited by Onoff

9 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

My mate asked me to lay on with him

Miss read that at first and lost the 'on'.

Then though it is not your arms hurting you need to worry about.

Oh you Welsh boys make me smile sometimes.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

All I have to go on is @nod's post that they will show through if you don't.

Very few pre fill joints and beads nowadays That’s why there is so much poor finishishing

Two of us mix a bag fill all joints Then mix five bags to two coat everything  takes an exstra ten minutes per gauge 

Half an hour per day for a perfect finish 

If you don’t pre fill it’s easy to exsposed the tape and go in and out of the tapered joints

Also if it is something you are not familiar with It makes the job in hand far easier 

Hope this helps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, nod said:

you don’t pre fill it’s easy to exsposed the tape and go in and out of the tapered joints

I thought he used square edged boards ...?? Do you fill SE boards too ..?

2 minutes ago, nod said:

Very few pre fill joints and beads nowadays That’s why there is so much poor finishishing

Two of us mix a bag fill all joints Then mix five bags to two coat everything  takes an exstra ten minutes per gauge 

Half an hour per day for a perfect finish 

If you don’t pre fill it’s easy to exsposed the tape and go in and out of the tapered joints

Also if it is something you are not familiar with It makes the job in hand far easier 

Hope this helps

Cheers, v.helpful. So half teaspoon of cream of tartar in the first set? Mix a full bag for the ceiling? It's nom 3x3m but only about 8sqm in total as I'm leaving inside the cupboard for now.

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Nope, I use te boards. There's one I think te to square cut edge on a short bit.

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

I often wonder what the post count would be of these threads if you subtracted the pi$$taking? I'm as guilty as the next man of that but it's interesting how some forums have some super anal mods who will jump on and remove off topic posts. The mig welding forum is pretty good for that. Just saying. 

Where would the fun be in that? 

FB095102-1A70-464C-BE00-FF0E9FA12BDC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Cheers, v.helpful. So half teaspoon of cream of tartar in the first set? Mix a full bag for the ceiling? It's nom 3x3m but only about 8sqm in total as I'm leaving inside the cupboard for now.

You can add a little more cream in this weather 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Yes pre fill everything casings and beads It allows us to mix the finish quite thin The thininer each coat the less likely to have ripples or drying lines If there not there before troweling they won’t be there afterwards 

• Like 1