Plastering Moisture Resistant Plasterboard

Onoff

6 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

We all know @Onoffhas got some broad shoulders otherwise he wouldn’t have made it this far.

But this is verging on bullying. 

The poor guy just wants to have a go at some plastering. I for one fully support his decision. (Maybe not on the blue grit but on wanting to have a go himself) 

my advice would be to let the BIL do the ceiling for you first. Just labour on him and learn what you can. I say this because when Your sat it the bath you will be staring straight at it. Then have a go at a couple of walls yourself. 

Whats the worst that can happen? 

BIL has to go over them again, but at least he tried. 

Cheers for the support Ed. Of course the doubters are the sort who'd probably buy their own stairs! :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Cheers for the support Ed. Of course the doubters are the sort who'd probably buy their own stairs! :)

anytime. and good on you for standing by your decision, 

the bit that's amusing me is that everyone is just assuming you BIL is actually a "good" plasterer. (not that I'm saying he isn't, but I know "professional" plasterers that I wouldn't let ice a cake let alone have a go at my walls) 

as for making the stairs, i have got a cunning plan how to get over my issue, its so cunning if it works it might be worth looking into patents....... I wont but in my head it is going to work really rather well....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

anytime. and good on you for standing by your decision, 

the bit that's amusing me is that everyone is just assuming you BIL is actually a "good" plasterer. (not that I'm saying he isn't, but I know "professional" plasterers that I wouldn't let ice a cake let alone have a go at my walls) 

as for making the stairs, i have got a cunning plan how to get over my issue, its so cunning if it works it might be worth looking into patents....... I wont but in my head it is going to work really rather well....

I've been halfway down the patent road a few times and always held back.

I always remember my big bro rejecting / pi$$ing off that Trevor Bayliss, he of the the wind up radio fame when he (my bro) was in the civil service. Can't remember quite what over. I'm pretty sure his company takes a hefty chunk of your ideas for their services.

I was expecting a blackadder quote there @Construction Channel - 'a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel'  The comedy in the good old days was class (and everyone was forced to make everything themselves because China hadn't been invented - you two would fit in a treat).

Off to my site now for a few hours of DIY.

31 minutes ago, pocster said:

Do we have a date when the ‘plastering’ ( not alcoholic) will commence ?

The Courage Best is suggesting not tonight dear, I can barely type.

11 minutes ago, CC45 said:

I was expecting a blackadder quote there @Construction Channel - 'a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel'  The comedy in the good old days was class (and everyone was forced to make everything themselves because China hadn't been invented - you two would fit in a treat).

Off to my site now for a few hours of DIY.

I didn't want to be seen as marching in with ill-deserved confidence...?

14 minutes ago, newhome said:

Beer before wine makes you feel fine, wine before beer makes you feel queer :) ? 

We will have to judge the order beer and wine we’re consumed once we have photos of the plastering ....

• Like 1

On 17/06/2018 at 18:28, PeterW said:

I think he should go outside and cut some nice hazel and hand split it then replace all this nasty board with some nice lath ....

Then lime plaster it, horsehair in the backing coat of course ......

I want a video of @Onoff shaving the horse .... perhaps with a cut throat razor.

But I will raise a glass to new learning experiences.

Edited by Ferdinand

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I want a video of @Onoff shaving the horse .... perhaps with a cut throat razor.

He has horsey neighbours who will have power tools (aka electric clippers) for such things so he can go with a bag and collect the hair. Not much clipping going on this time of year though. About another 4 months to go before that will start up again :). I think we may want to see the plastering finished before then ;)

• Like 1

So I put the metalwork away for another day and decided to have a crack at taping and filling the joints. Someone said if you don't they'll show through. But first I scraped off some nasty blue stuff that I thought might make things a bit gritty... :ph34r: I've about 4.9L left if anyone wants it...

I put 5:1 pva through a garden sprayer. I'm sticky from head to toe. Now I know how @pocster must feel 24/7! :) It was OK on the two wall joints but it dripped from the ceiling. A bit of kitchen roll and some dabbing soon sorted things.

20180618_190027

20180618_190121

I let the pva go tacky and whacked some in the te joints. The short joint to the right of the body dryer where the spot hole is, is I think a butt joint, so it'll be interesting to see how that comes out:

20180618_200422

Where the Febond Blue Grit had been was a little awkward, it went "liney":

20180618_185939

But I let it go off and went back and flatted it off (flatting being a term we plasterers use :) ). 

20180618_192328

Bottom line is I'm not scared of it!

Reckon just doing that little bit that my right arm will ache in the morning. A feeling many on this thread I'm sure are familiar with! ;)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Is there anything special about these internal corner trowels?

M-T66SSD.thumb.jpg.e9593899b6120ca8f0d59c40c774c5eb.jpg

I've some st/st angle and could tack a handle on easy enough.

The red bit on the handle is unicorn horn

And you don’t really need one, work from the corners and just use a wet brush down the inner corner to clean it off 

• Haha 2

I really MUST board this hole before I go down it, I can just about cope with the two main levels! Handy for sweeping the crap down though.

20180618_190009

Edited by Onoff

4 minutes ago, newhome said:

How long have you said before they can use the bath again? ;)

Two man lift and the cover comes off! They then get to experience a fully sunken bath. :)

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Go @Onoff...it's his house you know.

Anyway, we all enjoy the banter and photos will never show the real result.

Some say good farrow and ball paint hides everything once you've dimplied it with artex

8W cool white spots stop you looking up too... :)

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

And you don’t really need one, work from the corners and just use a wet brush down the inner corner to clean it off 

+1

Don't waste your money on it

Have you filled with multi finish or is it joint cement or something else?

6 hours ago, bassanclan said:

+1

Don't waste your money on it

Have you filled with multi finish or is it joint cement or something else?

Erm...multi...

So guessing from the "God loves a tryer!" comments elsewhere (without them stating why) that I've done something wrong by using multifinish over tape to fill the joint. Only guessing really as "Best slept on!" type comments are hardly helpful. Typical of most pure "trade" forums tbh, they advetise as DIY friendly then close ranks when one comes along. Generally this place isn't like that covering multi disciplines as it does. 

AFTER some reading I suspect it's that multi isn't considered strong enough for jointing purposes and that any stress on it might (will?) show up as a crack?

If that's the case is there any way round it? Wider "repair" tape? Or magic paint? :)

Thanks

Edited by Onoff

For a bit of timescale perspective, the new local Cathedral at Canterbury was completely rebuilt in 7 years between 1070 and 1077.

Bits have been added since, but that is how they used to do building in Kent !

Pre-planning system, probably.

Edited by Ferdinand